what tire pressure?- Mtbr.com
    sufferer of a.d.d.

what tire pressure?

i have a stock bianchi diss with a lame (leaky flexy) 80 manitou axel fork. I'm 185 lbs. i am new to ss and wondered what you think appropriate pressure should be.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    i have a stock bianchi diss with a lame (leaky flexy) 80 manitou axel fork. I'm 185 lbs. i am new to ss and wondered what you think appropriate pressure should be.
    Totally depends on where you ride, your riding style, the tires you're running, etc. Just run it at whatever your geared bike is at. Just cause its an SS doesn't mean it so radically different you can't run the same tire pressure.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

sufferer of a.d.d.
    im on desert hardpack (los angeles) for the most part. i weigh 185 lbs and my other bike is a fs so i run a much higher rear tire pressure than i will on my ht ss. i guess i'll just play with it and see what happens.

mtbr member
    I'm about 175, and ride is a lot of loose stuff, and I'm running about 35 with no problems on my SS. I do have tubeless though, so I don't pinch flat. Anything higher than that, and I spin out on the loose, steep stuff.

Trail and error is always a good suggestion.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

i'm pretty much set up like you

180lbs w/ gear and on a diss with a 100mm fork. i run 2 bar front &rear. that's 32 psi. i'm riding mostly in south OC, which is probably pretty similar to what you're doing.

more pressure and i don't feel like i get enough cush and/or traction, and less and i'm liable to pinch flat.

also, depends on what tires you're running. if you have the stock wire bead mutanos, then you can proably get away as low as 28. with a kevlar tire, i can't go lower than 30 or i'll pinch flat it on the way out the frikkin driveway, so i prefer to run wire in the back. since i've got a squishy up front, kevlar and lower pressure is fine.

No relation

Soft as possible, hard as necessary.

Ride on your normal terrain,
    keep lowering your pressure until you have a pinch flat,
    go back up a couple of PSI when you fix the flat.

When you find the perfect pressure, familiarize yourself with how it feels to squish the tire with your thumb at that pressure. Makes it quick and easy to get the pressure right without too much futzing with a gauge.

If you want a starting point, I weigh about the same as you, and run about 30PSI maximum.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    ready for a good laugh? i've been running at 60psi. then again i've been riding my ss almost exclusively on the street do it's not THAT stupid but i want to get more into dirt riding with it so thes tips are greatly appreciated. thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ready for a good laugh? i've been running at 60psi. then again i've been riding my ss almost exclusively on the street do it's not THAT stupid but i want to get more into dirt riding with it so thes tips are greatly appreciated. thanks
    60!?! I do not use that much air in my 2.25" tandem tires! (on the road)

For tires in the 1.95-2.2" range I generally run 32-38 psi; 2.3-2.5" 25-32 psi; 2.6-3.0" (DH tires) 10-20 psi.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JRA
    mtbr member

Re: Tire Pressure

Enough so that when I bounce really hard on the front tire w/ the heel of my hand I can almost or just barely touch the rim. Slightly higher in the rear tire since I have a tendency to ride "azz heavy". 173lb w/ rigid fork primarily in the PNW.