What SS did you run at D-Ville?- Mtbr.com
    SDB
    mtbr member

What SS did you run at D-Ville?

Been riding a long time, but just started SSing this year. I was in awe of the times being posted at Downieville by Singlespeeders. My goal is to ride SS next year, just curious what y'all run there. Gearing, suspension, etc, maybe even pics? If your one of those people that went under 3 hrs. on a SS,(or even completed for that matter) Thanks for the motivation!
    Another frustrated East Bay rider

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I'll chime in..

I'm not that fast of a racer so I knew for sure I wouldn't be able to hang with the bulk of the field in SS Class at D-ville, so I just set a personal goal of don't kill myself on the climb so I don't cramp, don't crash, and try to finish in under 3:00 hrs. I didn't cramp...and I finished in 3:01..grrrr.....Good enough for "back of mid-pack"

Anyway, I was hoping that my trail bike would have been built in time to race that rather than my singlespeed, but it wasn't....so I had to suck it up .

I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon set up SS and I used a 32:18 gear. Fork is a Reba with 85 - 115mm travel & remote lockout. I pretty much ran it completely locked out all the way up to Sunrise, and on the fireroads, then ran it at full travel the rest of the way.

I could be wrong, but it seemed like most guys in the singlespeed class were on 29'ers.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    32:20. Karate Monkey frame and fork. Finished in 2:48. This was 05 or 06 -- don't know if the course has changed since. Fun stuff.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    32:20. Karate Monkey frame and fork. Finished in 2:48. This was 05 or 06 -- don't know if the course has changed since. Fun stuff.
    It has changed with some additional singletrack. Sunrise trail was added to it this year. Everything else is the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I did it in about 2hrs 50 min. I have a Seven Sola 29er. It wasn't my best time but I can't really complain. Every year I say I won't do it again on a singlespeed. Yet, I find myself unwilling to let the trail of tears beat me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did it in 3:19 on a Paul Taylor SS running 32:19. I was really hoping to do better, but I don't think I executed a proper race strategy...I got hung up behind some folks on the climb and on the descent. All you guys going sub three hours is truly impressive. I tip my cap to you.

~~~~~~~
    2:32 and i really should have been around 2:20. i had to tighten my left crank arm that was falling off at the top and i got a random flat on the fire road after sunrise. sealant spraying on me for no reason. i have to say, single speed changes your race strategy significantly. passing on the descent is a bear. you're basically spun out before you start to pass, so adding speed and doing it safely is really hard. i ran 32x20 and next year i will run a 32x19 on my pereira 29er.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    ohmy.

That Pear is teh hawtness.
    Just a regular guy.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    ohmy.

That Pear is teh hawtness.
    holy crap no kidding.

And props Dirt -- that's a kick ass time especially with having to stop and tighten your crank arms and and the flat

As for next year for me...I'll be torn. I have an Intense 6.6 that I'm building up that will be a kickass Downieville bike for next year. I would race SS again at Downieville, but would really rather do it on a 29'r rather than my Chameleon. Not sure I'll have one or not

~~~~~~~
    thanks guys!

yeah, i don't know if i would have ridden singlespeed either, but right now i don't have another mountain bike that is up to the task- only other bike is a 1999 IF hardtail with white bros fork, and there is now way i would have felt safe on it there. got rid of the FS a year ago and just can't find the coin to replace it. problem is i want something nice, not just okay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Since....

I talked you into the 32x20....blame it on me.

bummer about the technicals.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

~~~~~~~
    yeah right!

no, i think the 20 was probably good for me. kept me in the saddle a bunch more. i just think next year i'll be a little stronger, so i'll run a 19. i ended up having to walk once on the climb (probably unavoidable).

the crank arm- totally my bad. i had this happen before and i failed to do (1) put loctite on it, and (2) crank it down with a larger wrench while on the stand after. lessons learned i guess. cost me no more than 45 seconds though. the flat- didn't have to change it, but had to stop and pump it twice and it cost me significant speed rolling on the fire road. probably 3-4 minutes. so, i guess more like a time of 2:26 without those things. i also could have raced smarter (that's where the other six minutes are coming from )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i saw the results for the winners of the SS class at Downieville... and saw a friend of mine won it. i know he at one time he was riding a Trek 69er... i am not sure on what his gearing has been. next time i seem him, i'll ask. he's a pretty sick athlete... and a former XTerra world champion for his age group (i think he won it in 2006)!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Conrad is a stud.....

one of them freaky athlete guys...congrats to him!
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ran a 34/18 last year and turned a 2:37 with 3 crashes - not my best ride for sure- I pretty much sat up for a long time until I realized I was still in the hunt and dropped the hammer again - I mostly blame poor tire choice (Kenda Karmas, great for hard pack but not so hot in the loose stuff). My bike is an old alum Bianchi-Dissr with SpeedDreams, XT cranks, lots of carbon bits and an anchient SID RACE. Weighs in at 19.5lbs.

SDB
    mtbr member
    Wow, 34/18 is a huge gear for that climb. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming please!
    Another frustrated East Bay rider

Keep on Rockin...

Very nice ride....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    2:32 and i really should have been around 2:20. i had to tighten my left crank arm that was falling off at the top and i got a random flat on the fire road after sunrise. sealant spraying on me for no reason. i have to say, single speed changes your race strategy significantly. passing on the descent is a bear. you're basically spun out before you start to pass, so adding speed and doing it safely is really hard. i ran 32x20 and next year i will run a 32x19 on my pereira 29er.
    You mind answering a question?

How much "flair" do those Middleburns have on them? Or what is the Q factor on that crank?

Members who have read this thread: 0