What SS to buy?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What SS to buy?

smw
    pedal pusher

What SS to buy?

Im looking at the Kona, but I would want disc brakes and a suspension fork. Im 6'3 if that makes a differance. What are your thoughts and any otther suggestions? Im wanting to keep the cost under $1500, Im sure Ill bling the bike over time, Ive got that disease.

Thanks Sean

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Dare I say "Rig"? I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Rig. Been lotsa fun. Fits great. Meets your budget needs.
    Don't harsh my mello

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Dare I say "Rig"? I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Rig. Been lotsa fun. Fits great. Meets your budget needs.

Is that the GF Rig?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Im looking at the Kona, but I would want disc brakes and a suspension fork. Im 6'3 if that makes a differance. What are your thoughts and any otther suggestions? Im wanting to keep the cost under $1500, Im sure Ill bling the bike over time, Ive got that disease.

Thanks Sean
    Some great options using the $1500 pricepoint to meet your needs. Depending on your preference of frame material and wheel size, some of the following are worth researching as a start:

* Jamis Exile http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/06_exiless.html

* Gary Fisher Rig http://fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_de...-29er&bike=Rig

* On-One Inbred; either the 26" or 29" version. You can add a Reba forks and disc brakes at time of order and still easily meet your price point. http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...position=97:97

* Redline Monocog. The 29er version due in March is definitely worth considering. Likely to be one of the best if not the best deal "dollar for dollar". http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html (retail of $500 planned)

* Surly 1x1 or Surly Karate Monkey. Pricepoint can be met as well. http://www.surlybikes.com/karatemonkey.html

* Bianch WUSS http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_wuss.html

* good used single speed of course. most likely best deals will be for 26" single speeds if you are open to those.

mtbr member
    Is that the GF Rig?
    I'd get a 29er inbred

Just Give'r!
    you can put discs on the kona unit-it comes w/mounts. I am also 6'3, and my kona unit will be here in mid-february. i got fitted on a 20' and it fits well. Just get a set-back post, longer stem or risers if you need. Also, lots of guys on here have their kona unit fitted with a suspension fork. I have heard 80mm of travel is the best, since 100mm of travel can feel a little too jacked-up, but 100 is a possibility, especially if it has a lock-out. if you do a search in the forums for 'kona unit' youll find lots of good threads.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Is that the GF Rig?
    Yes. If you can find it. They're in short supply. Other options, find a frame you like with other goodies etc. Someone on the 29er forum posted Speedgoats fork sale. They've got the Reba for $250. Nice deal on a really good fork.
    Don't harsh my mello

Just Give'r!
    i'd stick with the kona, on-one or surly options personally.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    i'd stick with the kona, on-one or surly options personally.

I can get a really good deal on the kona. How durable are the components that come on the bike. I mean it is pretty inexpensive, and I just wonder if parts will need to be replaced in short order.

Peace & Love
    are you talking Kona Unit 26" complete bike? that is a very, very solid and proven bike. I should have listed the Unit cause you can easily get it with a suspension fork and disc brakes for a good price. hubs are disc ready and you could simply get some avid mechanical calipers and use the levers that come on the Unit. And you can get a suspension fork at a great deal at any time.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    are you talking Kona Unit 26" complete bike? that is a very, very solid and proven bike. I should have listed the Unit cause you can easily get it with a suspension fork and disc brakes for a good price. hubs are disc ready and you could simply get some avid mechanical calipers and use the levers that come on the Unit. And you can get a suspension fork at a great deal at any time.

Yep, and I can get one really cheap. So the durability is good? Im new to SS, but I have a feeling it will get alot of trail use, and I will definately need front suspension.

Sean

smw
    pedal pusher
    After looking at your On _One bikes, Im interested. Ill have to check those out too.

Sean

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Crack-n-fail 1FG

I have a XL "Crack-n-fail" 1FG that is one of my favorite bikes of all time. It is super fast with a really laterally stiff BB, disc, Eccentric BB and the Headshock is great because it tracks incredibly well and has lock out. I know, I know it is not the most comfortable bike because of the rear stays but if you are looking for comfort ride a hybrid. If you are looking for a sweet handling super fast bike, this is a great way to go! Oh yeah, I think mine is still in the classified, check it out.

Peace & Love
    though i tried not to introduce my own bias based on the list i provided (since in fairness i have zero saddle time on most of those), I cant say enough about the On-One. I honestly feel, as does a much better rider than me (Cloxxki), that the bike is as good as any out there, custom or otherwise. May not be as light as a fully custom but still lighter than a karate monkey. the complete bike for $990 or whatever it is going for is the way to go......add the Avid mechanical brakes for a bit more when ordering the complete bike....and the Reba Race for another $299 and you have yourself a killer bike....read to race, nothing to worry about upgrading, and a frame that you will unlikely ever want to replace give its awesome performance.

smw
    pedal pusher
    though i tried not to introduce my own bias based on the list i provided (since in fairness i have zero saddle time on most of those), I cant say enough about the On-One. I honestly feel, as does a much better rider than me (Cloxxki), that the bike is as good as any out there, custom or otherwise. May not be as light as a fully custom but still lighter than a karate monkey. the complete bike for $990 or whatever it is going for is the way to go......add the Avid mechanical brakes for a bit more when ordering the complete bike....and the Reba Race for another $299 and you have yourself a killer bike....read to race, nothing to worry about upgrading, and a frame that you will unlikely ever want to replace give its awesome performance.

So who do you order these through?

Paper or plastic?
    After looking at your On _One bikes, Im interested. Ill have to check those out too.

Sean
    Take a look at the Soma. The guys are local after all, even if it's built in Taiwan. I like mine even if I have ways to go before being a halfway decent SSer. The frame is inexpensive ($400 for the 26er and $430 for the 29er). If you're like me, you probably have half of the parts lying around in your garage already anyways to finish it, and it will be a one of a kind.

www.somafab.com
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Peace & Love
    So who do you order these through?
    Easiest option is just get one through Pete at http://zedsport.com/pages/mountain/onone/inbred29er.htm

If you order through the On-One website and live in the US, Pete will basically end up taking care of you anyway as he is the US distributor. Give him a call and/or check out the On-One website for extra stuff pricing. As you will see or hear from Pete, adding brakes and a Reba is very cheap as opposed to ordering from elsewhere. you can add the avid mechanical calipers as the cheapest route and the Reba is the sweet Race model with remote Poploc. If you need the 18" frame however, there is a consideration regarding the floodgate knob hitting the downtube but there are fixes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If your not in a big hurry there will be a new frame on the market in a few weeks, I believe its called QBall bikes. Hand built in the good ole USA and priced in the KM range. 29" wheels, fairly light and a cool disc mount(so I've been told).

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    If your not in a big hurry there will be a new frame on the market in a few weeks, I believe its called QBall bikes. Hand built in the good ole USA and priced in the KM range. 29" wheels, fairly light and a cool disc mount(so I've been told).

Well I wanted a SS by yesterday, but thats not realistic. Im more interested in getting a good bike that Ill enjoy, at a price that wont cause me to break the bank. Im kinda leaning towards the On-One being that I can get it the way I want for about $1300 complete.

Sean

Peace & Love
    that would certainly be my choice based on my bias. and dont forget to check out this thread if you have not already....some good info http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159117

Just Give'r!
    still think the unit is better, but to each is own.

smw
    pedal pusher
    that would certainly be my choice based on my bias. and dont forget to check out this thread if you have not already....some good info http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159117

Turns out Zed Sports is only 30 minutes drive from me. How cool is that? I could have the bike by tomorrow. Just waiting for a call back on the final price.

Thanks for the info FoShizzle

Peace & Love
    not sure how you define "better".....both good bikes though. Sliding dropouts on the Unit are known (not first hand though) to not be as robust. Plus, Brant has such great customer service and passion and for me, that counts big. If the Unit 2-9 came as a complete bike i would have at least considered it but unfortnately it does not.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 01-20-2006 at 01:33 PM.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Turns out Zed Sports is only 30 minutes drive from me. How cool is that? I could have the bike by tomorrow. Just waiting for a call back on the final price.

Thanks for the info FoShizzle

Well at this point they have no 20in(frame) ss, and no Reba fork. So I may go with the 29er, just because I was trying to figure out which I wanted. Im still waiting on some info on the Kona as well, so that is still an option.

Sean

Peace & Love
    sounds like you have it narrowed down to 2 fine bikes. Personally, and believe me I was not a believer at first, a 29er version is a very, very good option. Not saying that it is better than a 26er, but it has pluses and minuses in my opinion and the 29er Inbred is one heck of a bike.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 01-20-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Just Give'r!
    the unit's sliding drops are the best in the business- if there are any issues, theyre just related to the hardware stripping, which isnt a big problem. very few will argue that the unit's sliding drop-outs are among the very best.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I got a new 2006 monocog frame for dirt cheap and spent the rest of the money putting some nice parts on it. Now if my rear cog would ever show up I could actually ride it...

That being said it looks sweet and I've spent well under $1000 on it, reba and all. You could get the monocog 29er too if that's your thing.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

SS Chimp

check your PM

smw --> check your PM's
    all single...all the time

Peace & Love
    i definitely would not have hesitated buying a Unit myself. I checked into it but since the Unit 2-9 frame was not available as a complete bike, I just could not put together a bike for the same price which was also a big factor for my most recent bike. I have plenty of friends with Units that love them.

Members who have read this thread: 0