What speed chain for wolftooth/ white ind.?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

What speed chain for wolftooth/ white ind.?

I have a white industries freewheel and am changing my chainring to a wolftooth eliptical. White industries recommends an 8 speed chain with the freewheel. Wolftooth recommends a 10 speed chain with the chainring. What size (speed) chain would you run? I'm inclined to run an 8 speed or a 9 speed and just accept that it's a bit loose (wide) on the chainring. Has anyone run a 10 speed chain on a white industries freewheel? Thanks.

mtbr member
    anything 8-10 speed should work. a 1/8" chain would be silly. most people seem to like 8 speed chains on SS drivetrains because they are cheap and you don't get much benefit from a higher "speed" chain, if any at all.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'd run a 9-10 speed chain if the rear can handle it.

mtbr member
    I would just use an 8 speed chain (most 9 speed and I think all 10 speed chains are 11/128). Are you worried the ring will wear prematurely or something?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I would just use an 8 speed chain (most 9 speed and I think all 10 speed chains are 11/128). Are you worried the ring will wear prematurely or something?
    I don't care about premature wear. I just want to run a chain that's not too tight on the white ind freewheel and not too loose on the wolftooth chainring. Has someone here used an 8spd chain on a wolftooth chainring? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be running an 8spd chain, Sram 870, with my WI Eno and Absolute Black nw oval ring, which I think is 10spd. I'd rather fit to the recommendation of the WI Eno for a better fit than the chain ring. My guess is that since there are fewer teeth on the WI Eno perhaps the chain would be more likely to fall off the freewheel if there was a fit issue. Sure, the chain may be a little wider than needed for the ring, but with more teeth and proper chain tension there shouldn't be much of a worry. Honestly, I think with proper chain tension and good chainline you shouldn't have to worry regardless of the chain you choose.

I have no idea if that is correct or makes any sense, but that's what I'm doin'.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I've been using 8 speed chains for as long as I can remember, they are so much cheaper than the higher gear models. I think the last one was $6. Also I use a Rennen Chainring which is N/W before N/W was cool and you're not going to have any issues, I use a king SS cog out back and again no issues.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?