What size and brand of tires are you guys running?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What size and brand of tires are you guys running?

I've got specialized Roll x 2.0 but would like something bigger without getting crazy heavy. Looking at Tioga factory DH or WTB Mutanoraptor(?) race 2.4. What works for you guys (and girls)?

Thanks

Tim

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    WTB Epic Wolf 2.1 - my new favorite.

It's not what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber
    I've got specialized Roll x 2.0 but would like something bigger without getting crazy heavy. Looking at Tioga factory DH or WTB Mutanoraptor(?) race 2.4. What works for you guys (and girls)?

Thanks

Tim
    I run the IRC Trailbear 2.5 on my SS and my Ventana. Love'em! I'm going to try the Fire 2.4's next but I have zero complaints about the T.B.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

Steamroller

Panaracer Fire XC or Kenda Karma

Quote Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    I run the IRC Trailbear 2.5 on my SS and my Ventana. Love'em! I'm going to try the Fire 2.4's next but I have zero complaints about the T.B.
    I have Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 ASB on my double boinger, I like them mucho. I had the same on my Monocog. My new Solo-One came with Kenda Karma '04 design that won many races on pros bikes last season, they are really cool, light fast and grippy! I had the IRC Trail bears 2.3 or 2.5? and removed them after crashing once and nearly crashing a second time in two consecutive rides on the same hardpack off camber turn. They just slid out from under me. They may be great for other terrain but I lost all confidence in them for the area I ride.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

IRC Kujo DHs 2.35

My new favorite tire (that happens a lot, though). They're 1100 gm a piece, though, so you should probably look elsewhere. I've yet to find anything with as steep a cornering hold, and they brake really well too. Climbing is obviously hindered by the weight.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

If you have to ask...

Fat Geaxes Rule!

Big, fat, smoooooth, and still pretty damned light at 635g. As a bonus, the tread works really well here in dry, loose SoCal conditions. They roll pretty fast, too.

miles

Is my rear tire flat?
    Panaracer FixeX Pro 2.1
    Used to hate, run them at a lower psi (35) now and they handle a lot better!
    Liberty Lake Wa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Big, fat, smoooooth, and still pretty damned light at 635g. As a bonus, the tread works really well here in dry, loose SoCal conditions. They roll pretty fast, too.

miles
    Yeah, what Miles said. I have used the Geax Sedona 2.25s here in SoCal, on the east coast in mud, slush, and snow...at Gooseberry Mesa (slickrock) and even, you guessed it, in Sedona, AZ. They work well in a conditions, but they shine best in hardpack because of their low rolling resistance. I don't care for the tire too much in the rear, it wears out too fast. The best rear tire for SS I have found is the old school 2.1 WTB Velociraptor...it hooks up as well as any other and it lasts a loooong time; however, it does have high rolling resistance. Currently I am using a 2.25 Intense System4, which works well, but I would never pay its retail price...for me, it was free and I have another one stashed for when this one wears out. If you want a fatter rear tire than the 2.1 Velociraptor, I would recommend the Mutanoraptor 2.24...it has a good durability to grip ratio. The 2.4 Mutanoraptor wears out as fast as the Sedona, else it would rock as a rear tire too. There is my $0.02...

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Right now in so cal, nbx 2.3 fr, minion 2.35 r

mtbr member
    I just wish the Tioga Yellow Kirins were more available. The Pro 2.3's with Slow Rebound Rubber weight a hair over 600g and are large volume with small low profile knobs. They absolutely rock, like they were made for Singlespeeds.

[Brag] Naturally I ordered mine direct from Tioga Japan, who I do a fair bit of work for [/Brag]

Ask and ye shall receive. Its a great system.

Another more race orientated combo I like is Vert Pro 2.3 up front and Python 2.0 in the back. Quick and grippy, but only for dry conditions really.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

Nokian......

I use the Nokian NBX lite 2.0, no it's no biggie but it's
    very very fast!

Good day - V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Thanks

Tim
    You can see my tire list here: http://www.themudzone.com/tire/tire_.../the_pile.html
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Right now in central oregon I'm running WTB weirwolf 2.3 front and motoraptor 2.1 rear. Durring the super dry summer I run the 2.4 Mutanoraptor race front and rear.

Birdman aka JMJ

Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight, 2.0" (more wanted)

Thanks

Tim
    They were the biggest tires I had when I built up my first SS last year, and they barely squeak between the brakes on the front fork (rigid Tange). A pretty good all-around tire, IMHO. I'm looking for a deal on 2 more, buy or trade.

JMJ

Jed Peters
    Depending on conditions, I use:

2.5/2.3 Weirwolf
    2.1 motoraptor
    2.4 mutanoraptor
    1.95/2.1 epicwolf

or any combination of the above.

www.justthebonnet.com
    2.4 mutanoraptor
    or 2.35 Intense downhill, only 895 grams, thick a$$ side walls, can run at 22 psi for ultimate hook up.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    2.2 Schwalbe Fast Freds on the SS 2.3F/2.0R Hutchinson Scorpions on my F/S gearie.

Fat Boy Deluxe

WTB Weirwolf 2.1

Thanks

Tim

Have only used this for one ride since the weather has been subpar, but it worked really well. While not as big as the WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 that I was using before, I feel that the Weirwolf worked much much better.

The middle tread on the Mutanoraptor made off camber and rocky sections kind of sketchy. The Weirwolf gripped the dirt well, I didn't have any problems with the rocks, and it even held its own on the slippery pine needles that were stacked up in some turns.

I may get the next size bigger Weirwolf, but for the DC/MD/VA area, I think I have found my tire.

DT

formerly Giantxc
    On the SS I've been running a Geax Blade 225 up front and a Panaracer Smoke Classic in the rear and have been very pleased, but I also want to try the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 up front.

The gearie uses a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 up front and an IRC Mythos XC in the rear for a little less rolling resistance than the SS (and the Blade doesn't leave much clearance in my Mars).

mtbr member

Syncros

I found these Syncros tires last year on a Nashbar sale. I think I paid $9.99 each. Made by Panaracer...I like them, a nice compliment to the Syncros rims.

http://www.adventurefind.com/images/...a/DSC00006.JPG

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Continentals

continental vertical protections.(mixed feelings about survival pros,but also good)
    The good:light, grippy,predictable,fast,just the right size
    The bad:expensive,wear kind of fast but probably no faster than other soft compound tires.
    I've been inside too long.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Thanks

Tim
    2.4" Mutanoraptor Race for dry conditions

1.5" Conti XC for the wet season (September to August! )

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    The setup I like most so far is:
    Conti Vert Pro 2.3 up front
    Ritchey Z-max Millenium 2.35 out back

I've also got the Mutano raptor 2.4 on the front of one bike but don't like it nearly as much as the Vert Pro.

Anyone have any experience with Conti's new Gravity and Diesel tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hutchinsons

differnet combinations:
    rear: arrow racing blitz 2.25, hutchinson alligator 2.00 (love 'em both, blitz runs abou 900 gms, hutchinson 600 gms)
    front: hutchinson mosquito 2.00, Specializd enduro 2.00
    used to run a python, but just couldnt get enough grip out here on the east coast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Winter Conti Explorer Pro's

Thanks

Tim
    Summer WTB Mutanoraptors, but I'm looking to find a good price on the Epic Wolf 2.1s to give them a roll.

By the way anyone used stans with the epic wolf's?

mtbr member
    Rear: 2.1 OnZa or 2.1 Fire XC's, both of which hook up,, brake and roll well. Both are reasonably light, too.

Front: Mutano 2.4k, which hooks up, brakes and steers great in everything but mud (death in mud) and are as light as a freakin' 2.1. Big tire, small knobs (rolls fast!) and no weight penalty.

try driving your car less

wtb

Thanks

Tim
    wtb weirwolf 2.5 front and rear on bianchi CUSS. i like em. although calling them 2.5 is a strectch, they are nice and voluminous and not too heavy.
    Only boring people get bored.

Faster Than Your TV!

Running the same as MrXC...

Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    On the SS I've been running a Geax Blade 225 up front and a Panaracer Smoke Classic in the rear and have been very pleased, but I also want to try the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 up front.
    for conditions that are sketchier than hardpack (loose, wet stuff).

When it's hardpack, I like the 2.4 Mutanoraptor front and stick with the 2.1 (wish they made it larger) Smoke Classic rear...the classic is hard to beat as a general all-arounder rear tire.

You might want to check out the Geax Sturdy as a rear...pretty nice size for a 2.25, sub 700g weight, and good all-around tread...cushy.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Mostly WTB 1.95 - 2.4's most of their models, but the Bontrager Jones ACX 2.1 & 2.2 is pretty nice too from sand to roots to mud. They may wear a little fast though.....

Expert Pushing SSer

Panaracer Fires....

Thanks

Tim
    Depending on your climate, I would look seriously at the 2.4 mut. FWIW-also look at the 2.24 mut, different pattern than the 2.1 and 2.4.
    2.4 FR (best darn tire I have owned, huge) in the front @25-28 psi/2.1 XC Pro in the rear @35 psi.
    Have a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 itching to be mounted this summer. Live in the Pac NW (the wet side), so I am using WTB Velociraptors (1.95 all around) on my, cough cough geared HT cough cough bike. It has discs, more appropriate for the wet. They do well in the muck but are a tad narrow for the full rigid SS. Lastly, that 2.4 FR tire is very cool with a 125 mm fork @25-28 psi. Very plush .

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Penis Goat!
    The tires I run on my SS are IRC Mythos XC 2.1 Kevlars...the reasons I picked them were cost and ratings. The tread was very similar to the Michelins I run on my main mt. ride, so I figured they'd be good. I like them, but wish they were a little higher-volume for cushioning. I haven't used them too much offroad, but from what I've noticed, they hook up pretty well, corner fine, and have low rolling resistance. Which is good on a SS.

ali'i hua
    lets see:
    fronts:
    2.4 mutano
    2.4 moto
    2.5 wierwolf
    2.1 moto 29er (not big enough)
    rear:
    2.1 veloci's on all 26ers
    2.1 kenda 29er klimax rear- similar tractor thread pattern as the velocis.

Drinkin' Buddy

Geax all the way

2.25 Sturdy up front
    For the real mud, 1.85 or 2.0 blade in the rear
    Otherwise blade 2.25 in the rear
    Got Beer?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

WTB, Panaracer, Conti

Here in the dry (from April to November) intermountain northwest, I'm running the 2.4 Mutano front and rear on my rigid SS. Usually run the front at 35 psi and the rear at 40, but I weigh 210 - 215, so I'm afraid to run them lower. I experimented with a smaller tire on the SS when I had a sus fork on there, but I went back to the stock Mutanos and I love them for the dry, sandy hardpack here. Don't know how they'd work on other conditions. Currently running a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 as the front on my FS gearie, and a Panaracer Trailblaster 2.1 rear. That Fire XC is one of the best front tires I've found for loose, sandy hardpack. Soon, however, I'll be swapping both out (and onto my old rigid gearie) in favor of a set of Conti Vertical pros in the 2.3 size.

Brakes?

Tioga 2.3 DH

Like butta I tell you...

The 2.3 DH is the grand-pappy Steam roller grippiest mamma-jamma rubba to run on yo rig...

Oh yea, it's like that....NOW WHOOOZ YO DADDY?

highly visible

Well, you DID ask what tires I'm running ...

On my Karate Monkey: Kenda Klaw 29x2.1 Front & Rear for the wet season. Great mud tires. Probably switch to my Bontrager Jones ACX for the front when things dry out, and in back I may stick with my rear Klaw for summer since it's wearing so quickly. Tried the Nanoraptors too, but what a polarizing tire: awesome in deep sand, sketchy as hell on loose over hardpack, worse than slicks in Portland mud.

On my 'crosser: Ritchey Mt. Cross 700x38 (fantastic front tire for ALL conditions, and just 425g) up front, Ritchey SpeedMax 32 (fast and light, not good in mud) or Conti Twister 32 (heavier, but still fast on pavement and grippy in everything) out back. During frost season (which is now almost over) I run a studded 700x38 Nokian Hakkapeliitta in the front.

Oh, you were maybe wondering about 26" tires?

Here are my thoughts on various 26" tires I've run in the last year or two. I should mention that my conditions tend to be pretty muddy in winter with lots of wet roots and rocks, and occasional snow and ice. In summer I ride all over Oregon, from damp forest trails to Bend sand to rocky desert doubletrack.

• Geax Blade 2.25. Rolls decently for a fattie, grips fantastically well in everything from deep sand to deep mud, though the mud does pack up a bit. It's wider and much taller than a Mutano 2.4, but still decent weight - less than 700g for my wire-bead version. My favorite front tire at the time I switched from 26" to 29".
    • Hutchinson Alligator 2.0, RIP. Rolls pretty well, reasonably light, grips well in everything. Best rear mud tire I have ever used, period. Even so, I liked it enough as an all-around rear tire to use it pretty much all year. If I were in the 26" market I would be running its replacement, the Spider, without question.
    • Mutano 2.4. Well, the weight is good for a fat tire, and they roll decently, but that's all I can give them credit for. I found them less than confidence inspiring, even in the loose dry summer conditions they're supposedly good at. I don't get it, but for some reason they just don't work once they cross the 41st parallel. The old adage about WTBs being California tires really does seem to hold true. Maybe we could set up inspection stations at the border to warn bikers coming north to swap out their WTBs for something else once they enter Oregon. It's for their own good, believe me.
    • Tioga DH 2.3. Didn't run it for long, but mostly liked it. Seemed like a good compromise with the beefier-than-XC casing but still far lighter than most of the serious DH tires. Surprisingly grippy in mud, great on rocks, so-so on loose dry conditions. Surprisingly decent rolling resistance.
    • Conti Vertical 2.3. Only ran it for a little while, but really liked it in drier conditions. If I'd stuck with 26", might have been my new favorite summer rear tire.
    • Conti Survival 2.3. Ironically named, IMO. Great traction, but NO warning when it breaks loose. That's irritating in a rear tire and downright scary in a front tire. Survival my ass! Also, while I'm usually willing to trade away rolling resistance for grip in a mountain bike tire, this is the WORST ROLLING tire I have ever run. Buh-bye.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 03-06-2004 at 12:03 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0