mtbr member
    Dec 2011

What should I do?

I need a chainring for my build. Should I just get a blackspire ring from pricepoint, or should I splurge and get a Homebrewed ring? I am aware the Homebrewed ring will be better quality, and last longer (?), but the bike will not be rideable until I get that chainring. So should I wait that extra month for that bling?
    Thanx

The need for singlespeed
    Another option is some nice SSer around here rents or even lends you their old ring to get you rolling while you wait patiently for good stuff.

mtbr member
    Or get the blackspire to use for now and order that HBC ring, then when it comes in you can put it on and save the slightly used blackspire in your parts bin for backup

surly inbred
    I believe I have a well used 32t 104bcd Salsa. Pee Em me if that works, you can have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just use any old chainring while you wait for the HBC ring to show up. I've run geared rings plenty of times with no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I believe I have a well used 32t 104bcd Salsa. Pee Em me if that works, you can have it.
    Pm'ed

And I dont have any chainrings haha. I got the cranks used for 10 bucks, so they didnt inslude chainrings

mtbr member
    Do you already know what chainring size your going to stick with? Are you looking into an aluminum ring or ti? Do you ultimately know what your final gearing is going to be?

Keep in mind that chainrings wear longer than cogs. This means that an aluminum ring will last a while and even longer if you get a reversable one (most SS style ones can do this). If you want it to last for your lifetime (exageration) then go Ti. I don't know what HBC aluminum rings have that blackspire, e.13, niner, or another aluminum rings don't. Around the same price and no wait. Also, if you don't know if you want a 32t, 33t, 36t, etc. then you may want to go cheaper and try them out.

When i find "my" gearing, i will stick to my e.13 guidering and maybe buy a ti cog in a flavor or two. Maybe a 20t and 18t 2-piece for the same price as one ti ring. Easier to change cogs if i hit a trail with more climbing or more flat. And as long as i still like my 8sp chain, it should work and last about as long as a cromo cog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Not yet, I was thinking of getting a nice 34t chainring, and then getting cogs if I need to change gearing, because that will be cheaper.

Members who have read this thread: 0