What should I break next?- Mtbr.com
    WillWorkForTrail

What should I break next?

So I've got a guy who is supposed to look at my frame sometime in the next couple of days to see if he can weld it back together. I knocked a good sized chunk out of it the other day. Details are boring.

I'm looking for a strong but reasonably light 29er frame (track fork ends) to move stuff over to if this can't be fixed. I'd like to keep the cost under $500 for just the frame.

Go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    So I've got a guy who is supposed to look at my frame sometime in the next couple of days to see if he can weld it back together. I knocked a good sized chunk out of it the other day. Details are boring.

I'm looking for a strong but reasonably light 29er frame (track fork ends) to move stuff over to if this can't be fixed. I'd like to keep the cost under $500 for just the frame.

Go...
    A sweat !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

nothing to see here
    harsh
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Not sure on the cost but ... what about the Karate Monkey or an Inbred 29 er ? You might find a used frame ?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    The on one Lurcher is $399 now!

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd break a sweat if I didn't have busted upright on my bike. But everyone's a comedian

The Karate Monkey was kind of my knee jerk reaction. I'll take a look at the Lurcher for sure. Still looking at other options. I found a guy who can weld the frame, but he's backed up for two months. Not sure I'm waiting that long.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    WOW. There is a lot of nice frames out there for $500. I just took apart my Niner EMD for a Gunnar frame i just picked up for $250. It depends on what you want. I wanted something that was really made in USA, didn't have 18" of a seatpost, and wasn't something i was gonna see on my local trails. Gunnar came in and i love it. Haven't felt the cushion from 853 steel. Bike is 1 1/2 lbs heavier, but i really like it. Niner was super cool, Gunnar is COOLER, medium emd for sale.

Master of the Obvious
    Have you looked a Singular Swift? I have a Singular Gryphon and it is an awesome bikes, rides like butter......
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Really like my OnOne Inbred 29ers. For $500 you can almost buy a couple.

HOV
    mtbr member
    I'm gonna toss in a vote for the Redline Monocog Flight 29er, if you can find the frame alone. I got mine for $140 on CL.

The dropouts are sliders, so you can run a QR in the rear if you want. Or you can switch out one slider for the one with a derailleur hanger on it and go geared should you desire later. The bike rides dreamy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love my Inbred. Put it through a 12hr race on Sat and it work beautifully... fared better than I did actually.

WillWorkForTrail
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. There's some good stuff here, made me look in some different directions. A local fabricator is confident he can fix my current frame without any loss of strength, so I'm going to let him take a shot at it because the price is very reasonable. But I've got this stuff filed away just in case.....

Members who have read this thread: 0