What is needed to convert a SS Cannondale Trail SL Fatty fork to a suspension one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

What is needed to convert a SS Cannondale Trail SL Fatty fork to a suspension one?

I just convinced my buddy to buy a Cannondale SL single speed 29er. However, he is new to mountain biking and weighs in at 300lbs (6ft 7, so not too outta shape). To make the experience more comfortable, he wants to switch out the rigid fatty fork for a suspension fork. He can get a free XCM HLO suspension fork...I understand that this isn't a great fork, but I'm hoping it will be adequate.

So what is needed for the conversion - from what I have read a 1.5" headset reducer is needed. Is this correct and can someone point me to this exact adapter...hoping to spend under $50. Pic of fork included below..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is needed to convert a SS Cannondale Trail SL Fatty fork to a suspension one?-20160409_113237-800x418-.jpg  

What is needed to convert a SS Cannondale Trail SL Fatty fork to a suspension one?-20160409_113257-800x254-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If he really wants to use the fork this will work.

FSA Orbit DL Reducer Headset 1.5-1 1/8 Black | FSA
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, maybe he should just stick to rigid and get fatter tires to soak up the bumps. I should probably check what type of tires would fit.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If he chooses to upgrade to a suspension fork, what is a good sub $200 fork for his weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Good and sub $200 doesn't exist, unless he finds something used on ebay. You may be able to find a used Reba for $200 or a Recon Gold for less than $200 if you look. But they probably will have to be rebuilt which a shop will charge generally $100 or so for.

Or you can probably get a Suntour Raidon or Epicon on eBay new from China for that much. Those are really your only options.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    If he really wants to use the fork this will work.

FSA Orbit DL Reducer Headset 1.5-1 1/8 Black | FSA
    This is the same headset I have on my Prophet. It's what I would buy again if I were fitting a conventional fork tomorrow.

As for the fork... get the fork first, then find the headset... and I'd second CL or search your area for a closed FaceBook riders Swapmeet group. Buy a used fork that's been cared for. Don't get over zealous with the travel though!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are there any decent forks (Rockshox Recon or Raidon equivalent) that will fit the Cannondale SL 29er without the need for the reducer headset?

Always in the wrong gear
    A Lefty is the only fork that I can think of that has a straight 1 1/2 steerer. Those are expensive.

Traditional dual-leg forks are either 1 1/8" straight, or 1 1/2 tapered to 1 1/8 at the top. At bare minimum you'd need the upper cup of a headset because unless it's a Lefty, it's gonna be 1 1/8 at the stem.

Edit to add: You'll get more replies if ask in the correct subforum. This isn't really a single speed question. It's actually not even a suspension question, really. It's a Cannondale question, or a bike/frame question.

mtbr member
    Best fork for the money- and even better than the Reba, Recon and others is the X Fusion Slide 29. I have seen them new as low as $330, add a Cane Creek HS and he is Golden. I would rather run a rigid fork than that XCM- those are pure junk.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA