What inspired you to go SS??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What inspired you to go SS??

Hey

Well seen so many nice SS bikes on this site its untrue. Along with a recent age post this got me wondering what made you lot choose Single Speed?

For me its many things like not having to worry about selecting gears, I study the track more ahead now too! although not paying attention and winding up on a steep hill clipped in really hurts!! I've noticed my fitness improve too!!! bonus!!!

So come on share!!!
    Custom Giant OCR T-Mobile Edition
    On-One Scandal 29'er Project on the go

aka baycat
    Before single speeding I was an overweight, balding cigar smoker. Since single speeding I have become a wealthy, athletic lover of white women.

Before

After

Only dead people are old
    Was bored so I bought a Fisher Rig the 1st year they were offered...I found racing on SS way too much fun and beating the geared boys made it all the better. Last year went rigid on one of the SS bikes and lovin it too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    simplicity and challenge!

mtbr member
    To pull chicks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Single-speeding since the late 80's.

huh?
    chicks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    peer pressure

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Too stupid to figure out gears

Too lazy to do maintenance

Too old to care about why

:-)
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

Up In Smoke
    You can buy a bike that has more than one gear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If it hurts more it's better, right?

AZ
    banned
    Started out on a SS , fixie to be precise . See my avatar .

bike rider
    I was racing for a LBS in the 90s and the owner got me a Bianchi B.A.S.S. for Christmas 1997. I rode it around the neighborhood a few times and didn't get it. One night my friends talked me into taking it out on a night ride and I just left all my riding buddies behind all night. That was all it took to convert me (and all my other geared bikes into SS). I only own one geared bike now and it's a 9 speed DH Karpiel Disco Volante, anyone wanna buy it?
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Beer pressure...

Sup
    SRAM XX the most advances cross country group ever

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I ride both SS HT 29er and 6-inch travel gearie 26er. I like them both a lot in their own way. To me, those two bikes cover about 95% of all the riding I'll ever do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Beer pressure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd just built up a new XC bike, and my old one was still mostly complete, so I bought the cheap DMR conversion kit, tried it out, and didn't ride the new XC bike until I'd converted it to single speed as well. It's just simpler and more fun.

local trails rider
    Wanted to see if it is as hard/impossible/crazy as everybody was telling me.

Of course it is. Such things cannot stop me.

V-Shaped Rut
    Went riding with a co-worker on an SS. Got buried. Can't have that.

Bought one, it immediately made me feel like a BMX kid again. Sold geared bike. Done.

taste death, live life.
    The FS rig I ordered in 2007 went on backorder like 20 times. I needed a bike to do the VT50, so I built up a singlespeed and haven't been back to gears since.

The need for singlespeed
    A friend inspired me to go ss on my roadbike.

Reading these pages inspired ss on the mtb.

mtbr member
    Got tired/bored of "spin to win" fitness and friggin shifting problems.

underachiever
    I found myself basically in the same one gear most of the time, so it was an easy decision. My bike won't be ready until March, so I hope it was the right choice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    wife called me fat

mtbr member
    Watching a friend ride off and leave me on his SS.
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    I wanted to try a 29er and Monocogs are cheap. Got 29 inch wheels, rigid and SS all in one bike. Really had fun on the MC, which is why I ride in the first place.

mtbr member
    I wanted a new bike so I bought something I hadn't ever ridden before: 29er, single speed.

Love it.
    :wq

you do this at my size
    Cause nobody else did, now everyone is riding SS. Guess I'll have to start riding a unicycle.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

Ride, Sleep, Work
    Too cheap to buy to renew my cat 1 license to race only 4 XC races a year & I enjoy out running the geared guys on their FS rigs.

I still have my geared HT for Endurance races.(24 hours, 12 hour stuff) I know I am a *****.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOAB
    Cause nobody else did, now everyone is riding SS. Guess I'll have to start riding a unicycle.
    Just go back to riding a geared bike.
    :wq

CB2
    Jam Econo
    When waiting for a part for my geared HT, I built up an old bike as a rigid single to see what all the hype was about.

Jason
    Simplicity! Besides... BMX is singlespeed and I got my start there in the early 80's. If I was strong enough to do it then, why not now?
    Jason

mtbr member
    I went from BMX to my first MTB (1x9) in '04. After a couple weeks the derailleur needed adjusting and I didn't know how to do it so I just ghettoed it into a SS. Been SS ever since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    its one of the best self inflicted suffer fests that i can think of

RIDE TO LIVE
    no shifting, flipping propedals/lockouts etc....translates into more time to just ride and smile

just like a speeder-bike
    A lot of these posts sounds like reasons why people stayed with singlespeeding... here's what inspired me to try it in the first place: boredom.

Well, not quite. I'd just bought my first full suspension/disc-brake equipped dream bike. I then failed (thankfully!) in my brief effort to sell my hardtail. It was winter in the rainy Willamette Valley, Oregon, ... so I started tinkering at night with the old hardtail and converted it to SS, partly for something to do and partly to see what SS'ing was all about. I fooled myself into thinking, "oh, I'll just try it... I can always convert it back to geared and sell it in the Spring, which will keep my wife happy..."

The first hill climb on my first ride felt like being strapped to a boat anchor. Had to try it again... the challenge made me want more. And I kept coming back for the simple, quiet joy of it all. Now I live for the feeling of conquering a climb on my SS. I kept the squishy bike, but the SS sees more ride time now.

you do this at my size
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Just go back to riding a geared bike.
    Ok so I'll go with a geared unicycle.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

simplicity

cheaper, challenging, boredom, less to break, lighter, to get stronger, funner, improve skills, reason to build another bike, free my mind and fingers from shifting, and so that when i pass people on their 5k full suspension going up or down hills on my single speed rigid they look at me like i'm nuts and think i'm a bad ass

mtbr member
    I just built an old frame up to single speed. The motivating factor was money. It is fun to ride also.

stoked gnar shred
    After a few times of getting passed on my fs by a few ssers i soon had to get one myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just had my first child and my wife is expecting again. my time is at a minimum and my old bike needed to be adjusted after almost any ride. I am dumb when it comes to shifting as well. I figure I can keep a chain lubed and put air in tires so why not. I have not really ridden to much ss yet so ill see if it pans out, but it will be nice to check the air and ride.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Besides someone telling me that girls weren't strong enough to singlespeed, I wanted some simplicity. I don't like working on my bike and rarely have the time or motivation. Now that I have a belt drive, I don't even need to lube the chain!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    didnt want to buy an expensive fork, fd, rd, shifters, and cassette.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    I realized that I am too stupid to figure out how to use a derailleur....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ....because i wanted too?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I converted an old trek 8000 ht to build power and see what the buzz was about. My first ride was eye opening and I'm going to be a monster in the hills come summer.
    Another Fat Bastard on a bike

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    My boss at my first shop job was an older SS die hard. He is where my inspiration came from. Started riding SS mtb at age 16, dabbled in gears, and then came back. I still have geared bikes mind you, but SS is where my passion lies.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Bmx

mtbr member
    My wife got tired of hearing me *****ing about missing rides due to equipment failures on a full suspension bike that I had at the time. She bought me the Monocog for my birthday to shut me up...and I love her for it.

But seriously, she wanted me to have a bike that I could ride hard and not worry about breaking. The SS rigid fit the bill. It also introduced me to the wonders of the 29er.
    Signature

Ken
    Ye Olde Phartt
    This past Summer, I was looking specifically for some Bombshell Crusher wheels since I was sick and tired of taco'd rims and constant truing. Lo and behold, I find a complete, nearly new SS bike on craigslist with the Crushers for about $150 more than the price of the Crushers alone so I bought it.

I was intrigued by the SS setup so I decided to try the bike out on the usual trails that I frequent. I quickly discovered that I didn't need no stinkin' dérailleurs which had been another constant source of aggravation on my geared bike. I ended up selling the geared bike and now ride SS exclusively.

Thus far on my local trails, I haven't seen any other SS MTB's. However, I do get the occasional "what a kook" looks from other bikers on their megabuck rides which probably cost more than I paid for my car.

mtbr member
    All the cool kids were on ss. I just want to be cool too.

Currently in Exile
    I was bored. Geared FS was total overkill for the local trails. I found an old Cannondale and built it up as a rigid SS. It made "dull" trails more interesting. Now I like to switch between bikes to keep things interesting.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Moved to Georgia (from SoCal) where challenges need to be created, i.e., the mtn biking here is not so good.

SS has been life saving!!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

simplicity is the key

skateboarding ,simple and fun
    surfing, simple and fun
    ss, simple and fun
    mike ridefree.it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think most of us started on bmx.

I rode trials a while before ever trying xc. (which is also ss)

bought a raliegh xxix when it was spankin new, to see what the hype was on these 29ers and since i was working at a shop, figured i should test one out. happened to be ss. hated the 29er. sold it.

rode gears again. bored of geared bike after just one season.

bianchi sass on craigslist to good to pass up. set it up fixed gear before my first ride to prove my elitism amongst my group of nobodys. got hooked. loved fixed mtn, switch back and forth depending on trail and when i wanna feel like a cheating baby with a freewheel. freewheel or fixed, love both differently.

now I'm too poor really to have a good bike with gears and suspension. would consider a 1x9 someday when I'm post 30s for lazy rides. probably with a friction shifter or even a IGH.

I like my bike alot, and really don't care what other people ride. do what makes you feel good, i guess. everything has its place, except f**king horses, stay off the trail!
    no chain no gain.

surly inbred
    (mortage + wife + kid)
    stuff broke + ______________________ = less bike parts
    economy sucks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Weight weenieing.

SS is a good way to dump at least a pound, off most bikes.

Not why I stayed, but it's why I first tried it.

mtbr member
    Bought a Karate Monkey for commuting, purchased a new rim and internally geared hub for it. Been waiting for the mechanic to build the damn wheel, got bored went for a winter ride on the KM. Was faster than friend 1. When for another ride with friend 2 (both are usually faster then me) ended up being much faster than both of them. Now I'm hooked!

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004

Because.....

A derailer killed my mom.

bruce b. (I read this one on mtbr years ago and liked it)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a friend who makes bikes (True North Custom Cycles). He let me borrow his SS for a ride. Not just SS, but rigid 29"...a real freak show in my mind, at the time. I don't ride anything else anymore and cycling hasn't been more fun since the first time I ever rode a bike as a little kid. Thanks Hugh!
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    i started ssing because i wanted to get out of the rat race of the trails. everyone scoping out each other's gear. ssing puts people's ability to ride on display, not how much money is in or not in their wallet. i ride bikes because it takes my mind off of everything else and makes me feel like a kid again. ssing keeps things simple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did my first race 5 year ago. Watched the Elite class. 2 guys had rigid, SS custom 26er. I almost went and told them that this trail was too hilly for ss. One SSer flatted right before the start. He fixes it but he is ~5 minutes behind the Elite class & 3 min behind the Sport class. At lap one of three, the first guy was a SSer. The guy that flatted was 5th. He had passed ~25 sport & ~7 elite riders.
    Also, when I travel I like to stop at bike shops. I was amazed at how many shop owners & managers ride SS. They can ride any bike in their store and they choose SS!
    So, I started out riding my hardtail in just one gear, tried different gearing each time I went for a ride, then converted it to SS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my 9-yr-old into MTB last year and he is doing great. Thought I would get a rigid SS to make the same old trail we ride "new" and more of a challenge this year. Didn't think that after a couple of rides I wouldn't want to ride my geared bikes anymore. ????? Don't know exactly what it is, but don't really care to go back right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Simple and fun,just me and my bike.No bells and whistles,silent and clean.Not much maintenance,good in the mud.A challenge,makes you very fit and strong.Can be inexpensive,like riding a big bmx.Puts a BIG smile on my face,makes me want to eat and eat,cant stop thinking about sex(41 years old).Been on singlespeeds for a long time(15 years or so),I doubt i will ever go back to gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    my derailleur broke. SS seemed like a simple solution. haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wanted to give it a try, trails on long island perfect for SS, converted a HT two yrs ago, then picked up a surly 1x1 frame... geared bike has 2 yrs of dust collected

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Also (in addition to my prior post) I felt that fat, dumb, and stupid was no way to go through life!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    I got tired of my overpriced FS geared bike. Fixing creaks in the suspension and replacing the derailleur hanger when it got ripped off from moss. I spent more time messing with my bike than riding it. I decided to try a HT and I figured I would try a 29er as well. I tried a 29er and liked the way it handled things like drop offs and bumps. A friend let me demo his 29er SS and I loved it. I've always wanted to try a SS because I heard it would make you a stronger rider and they were right. I also wanted simplicity.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Mike Ferrentino. His articles in Bike in the mid nineties, particularly involving his Rock Lobster. That and working in a shop in SanCarlos Ca in 98 I got to build up one of the fist Phil Wood K.I.S.S. rigs by Sycip with discs. I tooled around on it and was hooked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wanted simplicity. I am moving out east and getting paid to ride my bike leading trail rides all day everyday for months. I wanted something simple, no pivots and suspension issues, and derailleurs clanking around.

mtbr member
    I've busted my fair share of rear d's. Basically simplicity, faster (much faster), different strategy (not just pounding up or down hills), more badass.
    Mary ss shenanigans

EXORCIZE
    People's estatic descriptions of riding SS on MTBR.COM!

I quickly sold both my FS rigs (a Giant Trance and a Titus Racer-X 29er). That was 3 years ago. I do miss the Trance sometimes, though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The single speed mountain bike I built and rode in 1973.

I found a silly small steel chainring in the local Pacific Beach Schwinn bike shop that fit the Ashtabula cranks all of our 26" beach cruisers had. I don't recall its exact size but the resultant gear was right around what turned out to be a typical single speed gear some decades later. Slapped some square edged Schwinn knobbies on the steel rims and off into the canyons it went. Being a teenage aspiring bike racer type at the time I could shove it around better than the surfers I rode with so it did some real mountain bike rides. It didn't take long until the surfers went back to surfing but a few of my heartier BMX friends were down with real canyon rides. Probably had something to do with the surfers excessive bong hit intake. Dude. That bike's main limitation, other than that it weighed as much as I did, was the coaster brake. That same frame survived long enough to get the Cooks fork and real brakes treatment a few years later but I actually liked it best as a single speed. That had to be one of the earlier real mountain bikes in So Cal. Sometimes people are surprised how early mountain biking really began, some of my older cycling friends were mountain biking in the 60's.

is buachail foighneach me
    Biketrials and busted derailluers.

mtbr member
    It was cheaper. I could build up a really nice SS for less cash than a geared bike.

Then I discovered that I love it
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    I wanted to try something so I would not have to wait on a friend as much. Turns out I ended up waiting more. LOL

I love how simple it is and how much more I enjoy the view.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Went SS for a few reasons:

1. Was never sure why I needed 27 gears.
    2. Riding the earth and being one with your bike is where it's at.
    3. I think it's hilarious to pull up to the trailhead and see fat guys with full suspension, body armor, and full face helmets getting ready to ride cross country trails. I just hop on my SS and cruise by with a smile on my face. Then I catch them sucking wind at the top of a climb and smile again!
    4. Simplicity
    5. Rode a Huffy BMX bike as a kid. Now I ride SS 29er. Seems like a natural progression, no?

Up In Smoke
    I can finally grow a beard and chest hair, so I figure I have the right to ride a single speed.

....but yet I shave my legs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Reminds me of being a kid again, cruising around the trails and not having a noisy dérailleur clanging about. Sweet Simplicity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My geared bike broke off a rear derailleur. I was to poor at the time to fix it so I rigged it up as a SS. That was in 97. Now I'm just to lazy to go back.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mud. Too annoying cleaning the gears up after every ride, and then they still stop working and wear out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    All my knobby riding has been single speed since 1999 but for a geared ride at Ouachita Challenge in 2008. I made the switch because mountain biking had ceased being fun to me geared. I would go out with friends and we would throw down, and it hurt, and it never seemed to end -all rides were just GO! GO! GO! Then I heard about SS at Chequamegon 1999 and decided that if I only had one gear I could just get dropped on knobby rides with a ready made excuse and smell the flowers a bit, so to speak. Then, whaddya know, after a while I found that the lighter bike was not just easier to ride up hills, it dared me to do more and push my abilities by braking less, keeping the momentum going, not thinking about shifting just GOING! And before I knew what had hit me, I was back to the GO! GO! GO! rides, just having WAY more fun on my rigid singlespeed.

Now of course, with the LaLonde bros and others showing how it can be done at the highest levels, we all know that a SS is not necessarily a handicap. The 1/2 Iowa State Crit was won by Brian Eppen on a SS road bike last year! Do your homework and your preparation and let the chips fall where they will.

I may throw gears back on my Salsa for a race once a decade, but until my knees explode I will be keeping it SS!

smell the saddle...
    Wait, you mean there is an alternative? I didn't know there was such a thing as "geared bikes" hmmmm...

mtbr member
    Shamefully, I outgrew my BMX when I went to college in 1995. Tried to pick up mountain-biking. Bought a used rigid Specialized Rockhopper back then. The gears on it sucked and needed to be replaced, but I had no money. The bike was cool, but I always felt like I needed to be shifting; but only because it had gears. Drove me nuts! I can't remember what happened to that bike? Since then I bought a few entry-level geared mountain bikes for commuting. The gears drove me nuts! Two years ago I went into the LBS hoping to find a rigid 9-speed MTB. Of course, I never found one. But the manager pointed me toward a Monocog 29er. I rode it in the parking lot for about 10 minutes. Returned the bike, paid for it, and then walked out the door with it. I've ridden my SS29er more in the last year (mostly trails) than I had on all my geared bikes in the last 13 years. For some reason, I never thought SS was an option after i dropped the BMX--crazy!

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73
    I realized that I am too stupid to figure out how to use a derailleur....
    This has my vote for the best answer yet.
    Jason

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    My bike was part of the jet9 recall so until I got the new frame I went with a sir9 and
    set it up as a ss and rigid also. I thought this would be temporary and would want
    gears again but am having to much fun with it to even think about gears. I even don't
    mind the rigid front end unless its on a long rough decent than my hands don't care for
    it but other than that its amazing the way it feels in the corners with no slop. Not sure
    what will happen when I get the new frame and can choose between gears or no gears.
    I can't imagine not having a ss to ride now.

I don't know if it is the simplicity of the bike, lighter weight, clean look of the overall bike
    or just that its all you no cheating and its easier to see gains in fitness but I am so
    hooked on it. Even thinking of doing a race or to ss this year.

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    I made the change when climbing up a steep hill, really mashing down on the pedals, when something (still don't know exactly what) on my rear derailler popped, sending it into my spokes (bending the hell out of a few) and me face first over the handlebars into a rock. I then had to hike 5 miles out with a broken bike. I was so fed up with the thought of shifting and just wanted to ride so I tried one of the cheapo SS-conversion kits and from then it's all history.
    I like beer.

Ken
    Ye Olde Phartt
    Quote Originally Posted by eatsleepbikes
    ...or just that its all you no cheating and its easier to see gains in fitness...
    Very true. I've been off-road biking for about 10 year now but only since I've gone SS (about 8 months ago) have I noticed a huge improvement in speed, endurance, and leg strength. My quads have become noticeably ripped.

Now if I can just get the rest of my body to follow.

mtbr member
    I bought a full on full suspension race bike about 6 years ago... and the frame broke. All I had for 5 months to ride was an old steel frame that I converted to a SS...

Got the full suspension bike back - broke the frame again in a couple of weeks, then waited 3 months for the warranty frame - riding SS the entire time. Got the frame back AGAIN - broke it a couple weeks later. Warranty took 3 months again, still on singlespeed. Repeat this same cycle two more times (total of 5 broken frames) over the course of a year and a half... and I was hooked on singlespeed!!

All the while I was riding a 1994 steel frame with a hodgepodge of whatever parts I had... and getting stronger. I sold the frame the fifth time around and bought two Niner frames and have been riding SS exclusively for about 4-5 years... very fun!

I actually built a geared bike a couple of months ago... however it was stolen out of my garage before I even had a chance to try it out... I think that was a sign or something - gears are not for me

mtbr member
    For me I think it was reaching a point of technology overload. Anyone who spends any amount of time at all on MTBR or Ridemonkey will notice people obsessing over component choices, head angles, bb heights, wheelbases, tire widths, etc, etc, etc like it will make a significant difference in their performance when the biggest contribution to improving the experience is to just go out and RIDE THEIR BIKE! A LOT!!!

I think people like to think they are so discerning that they can tell a difference in geometry and/or components. I think a lot, if not most, people could detect a difference but will it actually make a difference in their performance?

Anyways, riding a singlespeed for me distilled the experience down to the core aspect of mountain biking: riding a bike off road while improving my skills and fitness without the worry and excuses of technology.

I'm not a complete Luddite...I have other geared bikes with discs and suspension and I enjoy them. But riding a SS proved to me it's the rider and not the bike, and that's what I love about it the most.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Love this post. It's epic.

Bought an SS frame and built it up because I wanted a challenge when riding with the ex. Now, I am single and I still ride the SS more than anything else. At least I can thank her for getting me into SS. Otherwise, she is a b***h.

Cheers!
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Always in the right gear, or to tired to know the difference!
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    Milfs inspired me - butter - skittles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey,

I needed to send in (Warranty service) my fork from my FS and I NEEDED to have a bike (you understand...). Sometimes the warranty repairs can take a LONG time. A friend had an old Redline Monocog set up for road that he sold to me for $150. $100 later I had a fully rigid SS Mountain Bike set up with 34 X 20 as I live in a steep area and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to do the hills. So, now I had an uber simple bike that would hopefully not break (I've broken a number of frames and forks) to bridge my "bikeless" time for $250. She weighed 27 lbs and I had a blast. So much so that later in the summer when another friend mentioned he was selling a Independent Fab SS (Deluxe with tensioner) and would give me the "Bro" deal, I jumped at the chance to get a 22 lb SS. I only had about 6 rides on it before the snow fell, so I can't wait for Spring!

So, in short, I broke my FS fork and needed a cheap ride, then discovered it was really fun. We'll see how much action my FS gets this year, but I bet it won't be a lot.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I wasn't stoked on how the SRAM components on my Rockhopper performed so instead of playing the upgrade game I'm playing the downgrade game. With a baby on the way it's going to be kinda hard to find the extra cash to buy all new components anyway so the SS conversion made sense. I also got sick of listening to the rear derailluer banging around in bumpy sections.

I honestly ride in one or two locations and I've made it to the top of everything with my geared set up so now I'll try it with my SS setup. It's a new challenge.

Curiosity played a big part in it too. "is it really that much fun?" "is it really that hard?"
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyracer
    I wasn't stoked on how the SRAM components on my Rockhopper performed so instead of playing the upgrade game I'm playing the downgrade game. With a baby on the way it's going to be kinda hard to find the extra cash to buy all new components anyway so the SS conversion made sense. I also got sick of listening to the rear derailluer banging around in bumpy sections.

I honestly ride in one or two locations and I've made it to the top of everything with my geared set up so now I'll try it with my SS setup. It's a new challenge.

Curiosity played a big part in it too. "is it really that much fun?" "is it really that hard?"
    I don't find it much "harder" however definitely a better workout. I've noticed I have become more strategic on the trails, maintaining speed, carrying momentum, loose braking, and I've acquired a new appreciation for climbs. It does take a little getting used to.

I converted a 26er about a year ago and ended up selling it about a month ago, I want to get a 29er ss now. SS is just the kiss method, I can relate to broken/banging dérailleurs, ss gives me a peace of mind on the trails, no thinking just pedaling.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    The first time I saw my Redline in the bike shop, I wanted it. I was just drawn to it. I hadn't even been riding that long and I didn't even give a second thought to weather I should go rigid or ss, I just had to have this bike!!

That was about 10 months ago and I still ride it atleast 5 times a week.

I figured I would have wussed out and put a suspention fork on by now, but honestly I really don't see the need.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Its all about coming full circle, you finish where you started...with one speed

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i dont know, but i think it worked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Three reasons:

1. Bought a fixie for the road a few years ago to get the most exercise out of limited time and really liked it. Go back and forth now between fixed and geared bike for the road. Good thing about the road is that shifting actually works really well.

2. Shifting sucks on a MTB. Been riding since the early/mid 90's and I've never had a bike that shifted well once one flake of dust settled on the cables. Yes, I know how to shift correctly.

3. Related somewhat to #2, SS mated with rigid is also about simplicity (let's ignore the hours spent on an EBB for now). The time I spent messing with the 6" bike I still own was getting out of hand. Either general maintenance or trying to find the perfect air presure for the suspension. Much easier to just grab a rigid SS and ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Raced SS riders at colorado endurance events like CB 40, Breck 100, Leadville 100 and thought those guys are crazy. Bought a Monocog as a cheap winter commuter. Hated being spun out at 20 miles each way but needed the gear ratio for the hills.
    Bought a nice rigid Sals El Marachi built it 1 x9 and pretty much felt these were all the gears I needed. Rode with some othe SS riders tried to justify the need for my 1x9 which they completly did not accept. Registered for Pb 100 for the 7th time and had a momentary lapse of reason and registered for SS. Been out on the s
    SS and all the trails feel lime new, the silence is remarkable and I'm amazed at what I can ride with one gear. Fun....!!! Ask on a post in August after Pb100 what made you quite SS..ha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Haha I don't have all the money in the world, and I wanted to build up a really nice bike that would last me through college - fancy singlespeed > middle of the line geared

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was born without completely opposable thumbs (fused joint) so i couldn't use thumb shifters, and couldn't grip a grip shift right, ive had SS bikes since i could ride a bike. I got it fixed when i was 14, ive built a few geared bikes since, never liked 'em, most only got ridden a handful of times then sold.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Because I had an old bike I wanted to bring new life to.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    To get rid of excuses...

Couldn't ride things with my gears, but had 27 reasons why...

I now ride sometimes with gears, b/c I'm a better rider.

ADOPT A PET. RIDE A BIKE. SMILE.

Members who have read this thread: 0