What hub am I looking for?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

What hub am I looking for?

I'm ~200lb with gear, and looking to have a rear wheel built for both training and racing (XC). The rim will most likely be a Stan's Arch (32h), and I'll be using disc brakes with a singlespeed drivetrain.

Top priorities are quick engagement and durability. And, since one of the main reasons I'm looking for a new rear wheel is all of the trouble I'm having with the POS threaded freehub body and external lockring on my current wheel, I'd like something with an internal lockring (like Shimano, etc). I do like that my current freewheel is silent, though. So, something on the "not so noisy" end of the spectrum would be preferred. (Hope Pro II Trials sounds ideal, otherwise.)

I know that singlespeed hubs can be built into stronger wheels, since they don't require as much driveside dishing. But, I've never had an issue with geared hub wheels. So, I'd be willing to go the geared hub route, if it's the better choice.

Thanks.

Steve

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    dt swiss 240s with the ratchet upgrade. i've got about 5 years on mine with no maintnence whatsoever, and i'm not easy on my stuff. i do not have the ratchet upgrade though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "ratchet upgrade"?

openwound
    Dt-swiss offers an upgrade kit that doubles the number of teeth on the hub ratchet. Really simple job, takes about five minutes. I didn't ride mine much before the change so can't speak to the difference in feel. I like the 240 hub, it's a light, simple design.

I also like the other three that typically get recommended -- Hadley, King, and Hope. They're all really nice hubs with their own unique traits or what have you. You really can't go too far wrong with any of them.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    dt swiss 240s with the ratchet upgrade.
    Almost perfect. Forgot to add the Thru-bolt RWS to the DT 240 with 36th ratchet kit. Bombproof, simple, neutral, light.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, guys.

The DT hub does look great. But, what I forgot to mention is that I'm on a bit of a budget for this wheel. So, it's out of my league - especially with the add-on(s).

Aside from the reported loudness, the Hope Pro 2 Trials hub looks perfect on paper. Quick engagement, durable, reasonably light, supremely versatile (for different axles) and good customer service. And, it seems to be very popular on the forum. So, they must be doing something right. I could probably learn to live with the noise. (It's not like I coast that much on my SS, anyway.)

The Hope hub/Stans rim combo seems pretty popular. Is there a good place (solid build, price, service) that someone can recommend to have the wheel built?

Steve

mtbr member
    I had stans build mine they were'nt cheap though. It has been very durable. I'm 210 and pound on this wheelset. The hub is loud, but I like it. When youre haulling ass, people hear you coming. I think thats good if you live anywhere theres alot of trail users. Quick engagement and high quaility. I dont think you can go wrong with the wheelset as long as you have a good builder. My buddy has the same set with no issues as well.

openwound
    Try Universal Cycles. I've had them build for me in the past and they did a good job. Their prices are competitive, too.

Did I catch a niner+?
    29er: http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2949-qc30.htm

26er: http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2769-qc30.htm

Not a trails version but still a good wheel and a nice price. These are handspuns which is built by QBP. My roommate has a front/rear set of flows on Hopes. They are nicely done. They also offer them with Arch rims which are lighter but thats up to you, they are the same price.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Yo.
    I'm surprised the True Precision Stealth hubs aren't on your radar. They seem to fit your engagement and silent requirements, and to hear it from the BMX crowd, durability is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

meow, meow.
    Hope Pro 2 Trials is not as convertible to different retention standards as the plain Hope Pro 2. As it ships, it only supports the M10 bolt-up (2 bolts and washers). However, its axle I. D. is narrowed down in the middle for 5mm QR compatibility, thus you can swap end pieces to Hope rear QR caps and run the hub with any 5mm QR (I have both setups).

A non-reversible route would be to drill out the axle to 10 mm, so as to run 10 mm bolt-through. It's been done, look for posts by shop mechanic here on MTBR.

Now that I'm building up a 2-speed (Hammerschmidt) rig, I'm facing the same choice, must pick a rear hub. I don't want another Hope Pro 2 Trials just yet, because it's just too loud (don't want to do the thicker grease trick either). But who am I kidding; mainly it's because I'm too curious to get to know some other hubs closely. )

Since Hammerschmidt itself only has 24 POE, I guess it's better to try and reduce negative effects of this by going with a quicker engaging hub. However, I have additional constraints:
    low maintenance (less frequent, less time consuming and less expensive all count),
    quiet operation,
    preferably 10 mm bolt-through retention,
    36 spoke holes option (rules out DT 240s and WTB Single Duty -- they aren't big on POE, too),
    adjustable chainline (rules out all freewheel hubs I guess -- and they tend to be damn loud anyway).

Here's the summary of what I know from personal experience and have learned on the internets so far, on the topic of such hubs:

1. Hope Pro 2 Trials. 48 POE, low maintenance, very loud, 10 mm bolt-up.
    2. Hadley SDH Disc Single Speed: 72 POE, low maintenance, moderately loud, 10 mm bolt-up.
    3. I9 Singlespeed (J-bend flanges). 120 POE, high maintenance, moderately loud, 10 mm bolt-up.
    4. Chris King ISO Single Speed Disc. 72 POE, high maintenance, very loud (however, opinions vary), custom 10 mm bolt-up, custom cogs.
    5. True Precision Poacher. Infinite POE, low maintenance, silent, 10 mm bolt-up, custom cogs.

It would be great if those with experience about particular hubs could confirm or disprove some of the above. In particular:

1. Is it true that I9 Singlespeed are high maintenance (especially if that is due to being not sealed well)?
    2. Is it true that True Precision Poacher are low maintenance?

At the moment, it's down to True Precision first (quiet! That's big in my book), Hadley a close second, and Chris King a distant third to me (it got so high because of large drive torque capacity).

PS
    Right now I'm still reading through whatever similar threads I can find.

PPS
    Alternatively, is there a freewheel disc brake hub that runs a 50 mm chainline?
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 12-29-2010 at 05:02 AM.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Members who have read this thread: 0