What has a 08' Monocog done for you lately?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hope What has a 08' Monocog done for you lately?

I'm getting an 08' Monocog that I found on sale. I sold out, bye-bye gears, really I just sold my bike. No more thinking about it or straddling the fence, i'm IN. So for those who have been riding a Monocog for a year now "how are they holding up". All I hear is Headset, Headset, Headset. Forget about the headset. After one yr of riding is it conquering your challenges and meeting your expectations? I expect it to be a giant BMX bike, a bomb proof bike, just a flat out beast. What has a Monocog done for you lately?

mtbr member
    I like mine. You still have to pedal yourself though.
    Ride more!

Team Hardcore Cornbread

2 years going and...

So far, I have thrown on a Reba for some boing up front, new head set because of shock, disc brakes and a quick release seat clamp. The bike is a tank and seems to be holding out. I have noticed I have to watch the rear wheel bolts from time to time as they seem to become loose. I cannot complain one bit about the bike for the price I paid. It is a pig but it should be around for many more years to come. I have a blast on this bike.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i bought an 07 that had been on the floor of my shop for a while. Like paul said, they're tanks. You do have to keep an eye on certain parts because of the increased stress from the rigid frame. SPecifically, i have found that the front hub/QR tend to loosen up during long downhills because of the shock. Also, the headset is going to take a beating, so keep an eye on the freeplay up front.

besides that, these bikes are a blast. THey're simple and fun to ride. and thats what matters, right?
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

mtbr member
    just bought a new 08 2 months ago to try a 29er and ss, and all i want to do anymore is ride the monocog. my monocog revieved mtb'ing for me. i rode maybe a total of 6 times this past year pre monocog. post monocog, i have rode at least once, usually twice, every weekend. i've only rode the 575 once since getting the mc.

i love the precision and feel of the rigid fork, but i've got a bum wrist so i picked up a used fox rlc, which of course forced me to upgrade to disks. haven't had any problems with the cheap loose ball headset, but you do have to keep on top of the preload adjustment or it will start knocking. once it is set, i haven't had to touch it though unless i remove the stem. my guess is that the headset got a bad rep from folks that don't know how to adjust them.

you do this at my size
    Don't know about an 08' but my 06' MC29, but mine makes riding way too much fun. I put a Vassago ODIS, disks and 180mm cranks and haven't looked back. I never had a problem with the headset, but once I changed the fork I changed the bearing with it.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I've added Juicy 7's that's all. The Monocog is my do everything commuter/trail/kid carrier towing bike.

(slight return)
    I posted a thread of some pics of my monocog a week or two ago. The headset has been no problem for me. It's one of the few original parts left - frame, fork, crank arms and headset are only original parts on my 2007 monocog 29er. The hubs and bottom bracket were shot, but bars, stem, rims and seatpost were in decent shape when replaced, just need something different. The stock steel cog stood up alot better than the $35 niner aluminum cog I replaced it with. Surly steel cog on deck...

-slide

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the 07 flight. It brought the love of riding back to me. I replaced the bb5 with bb7's. Thomson stem ,King headset, Flat bar with midge bar ends(the roadie in me ). Lusting a salsa seat post clamp going to order one today. And then I'm going to save some coin for some King hubs not sure which rim yet.

But man I love this bike. I built a work stand out of some 2x4's holds the Flight and the roadie. Before I close the garage door I gotta just stare at the Flight.
    This much fun on a bike for this price is almost scary!

It's nice to be loving the ride again.
    Last edited by thehook; 12-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    Never Forget......343...Rest easy Lads You Dun Good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got a D440, which is just a MC 29er with vertical drop outs and a 1x8 in back. I'm loving it so much, I have to get the MC frame and build it up too. 1x8 is good, useful and fun, and I already have a SS. But it ain't a 29'er....got to be a 29'er. Once you've tightened the headset a few times, it stays. No biggie. But I've got an FSA Pig Pro DH headset waiting in the wings, either for my MC build, or the D440, should it need it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big ro
    I'm getting an 08' Monocog that I found on sale. I sold out, bye-bye gears, really I just sold my bike. No more thinking about it or straddling the fence, i'm IN. So for those who have been riding a Monocog for a year now "how are they holding up". All I hear is Headset, Headset, Headset. Forget about the headset. After one yr of riding is it conquering your challenges and meeting your expectations? I expect it to be a giant BMX bike, a bomb proof bike, just a flat out beast. What has a Monocog done for you lately?
    D) ALL OF THE ABOVE!
    Let me put it this way:
    I got a monocog, loved riding it until my wife decided to try it. Now she rides it all the time and I'm hunting for another one! Monocogs rule!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My monocog has got me back in the woods appreciating nature, adventuring, exercising, and enjoying cycling like it was new again. Its a damn good time. Best impulse buy ever.

Yeah, the headset went on me after a month or so. A second headset lasted even less. I said screw and got a chris king, last headset this bike will need for 10 years. I put bb7 brakes on and I'm very happy with them. I have crank bros mallet pedals so I don't need my shoes for short trips in town. I have a xt/delgado x wheelset because I bought the bike used and thats what came on it.

I've overshot jumps, run into stuff, and been in the rain and mud tons of times. I have had no problems other than the headset. I get the feeling that if you do something gnarly enough to break a monocog you are probably going to break yourself too.

!snotrocket!
    big ro nailed it right on it's a giant bmx made for blasting trails. I got mine at the end of november and have not touched my other bikes since. I bought the monocog because I wanted a ridged ss 29er and the price could not be beat. As with most of the other post's my head set went with in day's, so I installed a king and a new set of disk stoppers. I also put a isis drive bb w/ truvativ cranks. The bike now rules roll over any thing super stable at high speeds. It even likes dirt jumps if your into that sort of thing. On the trail its a monster. The 29 inch wheels carry speed so much better than a 26 ever could , so it lets you post up where a 26er will leave you scrambling for speed. Last but least you have got to love the feel of the steal.

sugoi chairinko
    I expect it to be a giant BMX bike
    What has my monocog done for me lately? It carried me to second place at the BMX track a few weeks back!

That's what so great about the MC's, they can do about anything. It's not my favorite bike, but it's the one I ride the most.

Live Free Or Die!
    I picked up a 2008 Monocog earlier this year. I found out that I like it better than my 2007 Raleigh XXIX. I haven't had any problems with the headset, but it only gets used as an urban/commuter.

I did have to tighten up the rear wheel bolts once so far. Plus, no problems with the front quick-release because I have to take the tire off to store it. I like having a bashguard on it too.

mtbr member
    When I decided to get a MTB i got an 07 (i think) monocog 29er. It's been a great bike. Since then I've added a Brooks Saddle, Salsa 17deg Handlebar, a Salsa CroMoto Grande fork, Avid BB7 front brakes, Avid SD7 Brake Levers, a new bottom bracket, Izumi track chain, and played around with gearing until the cows come home. The Monocog has completely taught me how to work on bikes. I will replace it someday but for now there isn't really any reason to. I really want a Salsa Ala Carte or El Mar, but I always end up just upgrading the Monocog and have a blast riding it.

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

Members who have read this thread: 0