What a great workout SS is... (long rambling post)- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005
    ....looks like the post was too long, had to break it up,,,,

anyway, we now return to Great Workout II, "The quest for the point of this post..."

so now, i've noticed a *major* increase in my endurance and energy, largely thanks to SS'ing, no, i'm not healthy yet, but i'm getting there, i see *daily* improvements, tonight alone i cut my coasting time in *half*, now whenever i coast it's because it's *fun*, not because i'm bonking and need a rest, and my "jump off point" up the hill at home is *nonexistent*, in fact, i go *past* the driveway and turn around, my goal is to reach the top of the hill, turn around, and coast back to the driveway, every day, the goal gets closer and closer, and my parents remark on how much weight i'm shedding, if they notice it, i must be losing weight, my clothes are starting to fit looser.....

in only 3 weeks, i'm up to 3.5 miles comfortably, i could probably do 5 if i push it, bear in mind, i live on a hilly road, i know 3.5 miles isn't much at all, in fact, it's nothing to be proud of, but the fact i can do this after 3 weeks of riding impresses *me* (i can easily do 20 miles of "rail-trails" offroad, the hills at home are just mean though, 2 weeks ago, i'd be downing a powergel and Sportlegs capsules before a ride, and my legs would still burn, now, i don't bother with the gel, or the Sportlegs suppliment, as i don't need it, every day i ride i can see daily improvement, my legs feel stronger, and it's largely thanks to Singlespeeding, fastest damn return on excersise i've *ever* seen, walking's boring, and excersise clubs are too bloody expensive, but biking's just fun

i *hate* to excersise, as it's painful to me, but to me, cycling isn't "really" excersise, because it's *fun*, and it allows me to actually see daily improvements

i figure by next month, i'll have hit my *top of the hill* goal, and will be working on my "around the block at home" goal (about a 10 mile ride, mostly uphill, and the hills are *big*....

thanks for reading this far, sorry about the rambling, but i think singlespeeding is the best frelling thing i've done on a bike for a *long* time, i'm a definite convert to SS, and i will definitely try to get freinds and family to try it out, i've already planted the seed in a co-workers mind, and i'm working on convincing Mom to change over her Haro to a SS

Apr 2005

What a great workout SS is... (long rambling post)

I know i'm preaching to the choir here, but it frankly amazes me how well i'm responding to my SS workout regimen....

first off, i'm a Mac repair tech, so my day to day job consists of sitting on my arse for 8 hours a day, occasionally lugging around 40-60 pound computers to the repair benches and out to customer's car, but i tend do be pretty sedentary, to put it mildly, i'm a "Clyde" , i was really badly out of shape (still am, but i'm getting better every day)

it started off simple, i rode after work (on the Trek 4500 gearie), at first, a simple 1 mile ride would totally bonk me out, that 1 mile ride was up some pretty steep hills though (well...they *seemed* steep at the time), and riding *hurt*, it hurt badly, it showed me how bloody out of shape i am, but even though it was painful, i kept riding....every other day or so, it was clear if i didn't change my habits i was heading for big trouble down the road...

then i got my old Fila Taos back from my sister, it needed a little work to restore it to it's former glory, then i found MTBR and discovered the Singlespeed forum, and got to thinking and planning on converting the Fila to SS, for the moment, i'm leaving it in the middle chainring and not shifting the rear, keeping the chainline straight, yes, yes, i *know* that "not shifting it" isn't the same, but i'm saving up for a singleator or something similar, so i guess the Fila is currently a "Pseudo-SS"

i upgraded the tires to slicks, and started putting little tweaks on it (new grips, computer, LED lights to improve daytime visibility to cars) with the intention of leaving it at work as an lunch-getter/after work ride bike.....

but i discovered that i really loved the feel of the old classic rigid steel frame, the old bike just felt.....right, don't get me wrong, the Trek is a nice bike and all, it just feels....empty and dead, the Fila feels alive, like an extension of me, it just fits right and is comfortable, and i just love the simplicity of not having to worry about shifting....

....i started taking it with me to and from work, and riding *it* on my after-work rides around town and at home, i took it for rides down the beach, and since it was so much fun, i ended up riding more often, suddenly, that one mile ride wasn't an issue anymore, so i upped it to 2 miles, never shifting out of the middle ring, forgetting the deraileurs even existed, i also noticed my "break off point" up the hill to the house (the point where i had to stop, dismount, and walk) was getting further and further on every ride, i'm making progress....

then i found an old Raleigh Record roadie in a yard sale for $10, it had horiz. drops, so i pulled off the deraileurs, shortened the chain, and had my SS, i took *that* bike to work, and rode it to lunch and after work (it's a hilly 1.5 mile ride around the block for my after-work ride, lunch is about a 2 to 5 minute ride depending on where i go), it's amazing how fast that old roadie is, even when limited to one gear, problem is, i now want to bring *it* home with me every day, and i have to stop myself...

(as a side benefit, my co-worker has been starting to play around on it, i think he's showing beginning signs of addiction, heh heh heh.....)

if you've gotten this far, thanks for bearing with me, still more to tell, but the end is close...

mtbr member
    Great story!

SSing is the most fun I've had in 15 years of biking. The pride of pushing your self further then you ever thought you could is great motivation, and the stronger you get the more you want to push your self.

Keep up the SSing. Soon you will be like the rest of us, asking what color headset and grips look best on a pink bike.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Very cool - I always enjoy reading posts like this. There is a dude over in the Clyde forum whose weight dropped like 180lbs (from 420 or so) riding his bike. Have fun.
    Now with more vitriol!

Nat
    mtbr member
    That's awesome. Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad you gotten the bug be it singlespeeds, fixies, gearies, cruisers, roadies, or whatever. Too many people treat exercise like a chore because they haven't found something they truly enjoy. I would hate to have to run or go to the gym all of the time to keep in shape as I'd hate it. There is just something about riding that is so addictive and just permeates one's being. I used to do a ton of riding/racing nine or ten years ago before my kids were born and then spent several years being the weekend warrior who occasionally rides and things like golf and softball were done more often than biking. A few years back I rediscovered my former love and now I think about going for a ride all of the time to where some days I'm watching the clock just waiting for time to leave the office and go for a ride. Keep up the good work and keep the passion going.

Apr 2005
    I've noticed some seemingly commonplace problems recently with the SS at work....

it's always calling my name, enticing me to ride it.....
    "C'mon, you don't *really* need to be repairing that G5 tower do you, take me out for a ride, you know you want to..."
    well, actually i *do* need to work on machines, especially if you want me to continue fixing and upgrading you, that takes money, you know....
    "c'mon, ride me, even just on the sales floor, there's enough room...."
    no there really isn't, and besides, there are customers out there...
    "human slalom then, sounds like fun...."
    bike, stop it, i rode you to grab lunch anyway...
    "yeah, a lousy 5 minute ride, thanks a lot...."
    hey, don't gove me that attitude, you want me to let the air out of your tires, or even worse...put your deraileurs back on?
    "NOOO, anything but that, i'm sorry, i'll be good...."
    okay, fine, i'll take you for a ride after work...
    "YAAAY!!!"

(5 minutes later)
    "go for a ride now?"
    <sigh> not yet...
    (continue ad-infinitum)
    (is it a bad thing when you hear your bike talk to you? )

the other "problem" i've found is that i'm now deciding where to get lunch based on which place gives me the most bike-time.... problem is, there's a great gourmet handcrafted pasta store in the same mill complex as my job, and a nice little sub shop a 2 minute ride away, however, the mediocre sub shop is a 5 minute ride away, guess which sub shop i go to more often....

blame me for missed rides
    that Raleigh Record, my friend, deserves to be converted to fixed gear. you will NOT coast at all.

Apr 2005
    maybe down the road once i have converted the Fila to SS, i might consider fixifying the Raleigh, however, i *like* to coast down big hills, it feels like i'm riding a motorcycle...

also, the Raleigh does double-duty as a "spread the SS addiction" bike that i'll loan out to freinds/family/co-workers, somehow i think putting inexperienced riders on a fixie wouldn't be good for a first experience at SS'ing....

mtbr member
    Rock on Big Man!!

Apr 2005
    that's wierd, bad threading, time to repost it where it belongs...
    Last edited by MacTech; 06-29-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Apr 2005
    Latest update.....

I'm up to 4 miles now
    slowly but surely, i'm getting better, i hopped on the bike, and rode my normal route, on the ride back, i approached the 3 way intersection that i normally turn up for the hillclimb back to the house

something was different today, i had a lot more energy, and i figured "what the frell, lets see how far i can go this time"

i continued on down the road, passing my normal stop, and got halfway to the intersection on the other side of the road, after a while, my legs started to burn, i pulled off to the side of the road, glanced at my bike computer...

3.5 MI
    (unlike i previously thought, my normal route was not 3.5 miles, but 3.0, it just *felt* like 3.5 due to the hills)

i could just barely make out the other intersection at the opposite end of the road, but my legs were aching, so it was time to turn back, i was a little dissapointed, but the hill back home is nasty to tired legs and i needed to retain some energy for the hillclimb back to the house

if i rode the rest of the way to the far intersection, i *know* i wouldn't make the hill to home and i *would* bonk hard and have to walk up the hill, bonking is not an option, so back i went....

i climbed the hill, my legs on fire, but i went *past* my break-off point again (a net success there) and rolled back down the hill and into the driveway, just in time, as i felt the beginning of a bonk coming on....

look down at the bike computer....

4.0 MI

WOOHOO!, i obliterated my last record

and it's all thanks to my Freindly-Neighborhood Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    Latest update.....

I'm up to 4 miles now
    slowly but surely, i'm getting better, i hopped on the bike, and rode my normal route, on the ride back, i approached the 3 way intersection that i normally turn up for the hillclimb back to the house

something was different today, i had a lot more energy, and i figured "what the frell, lets see how far i can go this time"

i continued on down the road, passing my normal stop, and got halfway to the intersection on the other side of the road, after a while, my legs started to burn, i pulled off to the side of the road, glanced at my bike computer...

3.5 MI
    (unlike i previously thought, my normal route was not 3.5 miles, but 3.0, it just *felt* like 3.5 due to the hills)

i could just barely make out the other intersection at the opposite end of the road, but my legs were aching, so it was time to turn back, i was a little dissapointed, but the hill back home is nasty to tired legs and i needed to retain some energy for the hillclimb back to the house

if i rode the rest of the way to the far intersection, i *know* i wouldn't make the hill to home and i *would* bonk hard and have to walk up the hill, bonking is not an option, so back i went....

i climbed the hill, my legs on fire, but i went *past* my break-off point again (a net success there) and rolled back down the hill and into the driveway, just in time, as i felt the beginning of a bonk coming on....

look down at the bike computer....

4.0 MI

WOOHOO!, i obliterated my last record

and it's all thanks to my Freindly-Neighborhood Singlespeed
    Great job. You are coming to the realization that hills are about 90% mental and that you are already able to push yourself beyond your perceived "limits" is great. Some people have a difficult time acquiring the ability to push themselves beyond what they feel they can do and they stagnate in their abilities. It is by pushing the envelope and going slightly harder than you think you can do that you really see major improvement. It is easy to give up on a hill if it looks interminably long but a person can play games with themselve by giving themselves smaller goals like making it up to that bend or past that tree or to the top of that first rise and the next thing you know you are cleaning the entire climb and thinking next time you'll do it faster. Just continue to give yourself reachable goals that align with your overall goals and just have fun doing it. As long as you are having fun with it keep up the good work. I remember my first mtn. bike ride up Cactus Canyon in Laramie, WY. It is only 2 or 3 miles of singletrack but my buddy had to wait for me every couple hundred yards and I found out later that we only went about half way up. A couple of years later that was an easy ride that I could absolutely fly up.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    It is easy to give up on a hill if it looks interminably long but a person can play games with themselve by giving themselves smaller goals like making it up to that bend or past that tree or to the top of that first rise and the next thing you know you are cleaning the entire climb
    That's exactly what i did yesterday...
    "just around this corner then i'll head back....that wasn't bad, i'll go to the paintball field driveway and turn there.....heck i've come this far, why not turn in the next driveway....ok, legs burning now, so i really should turn around..."
    as i turn around to head back....
    holy crap, i went further than i thought, cool!

and today, i went on 2 rides after work, a quick ride on the SS Raleigh Record to see how fast i could go when hammering downhill (gotta test out the new bike computer...) top speed was 28.9 MPH, the down-and-up climb was about 1/4 mile

the second ride was on the Trek 4500 in "Pseudo-SS" mode (not shifting it off the second ring and middle cassette gear), going on the same route i rode yesterday, it's a vaguely T shaped ride, the start point is the bottom of the T and the top of the T is the longest part, i go down to the intersection, take a right, go to the end of that road, then head back to the other end of the road, then back to the intersection and up to the house

today, i cleaned the entire route!!! WOOHOO!!!

i looked down at my computer....

5.10 MI

YESSS!!!, i *OBLITERATED* my previous record....

i know, i know, 5 miles is nothing, but remember, 3 weeks to a month ago, a 1 mile ride would have bonked me out, so forgive me if i seem overly pleased with my meaningless milestones