What is a good budget steel rigid SS 29'r- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What is a good budget steel rigid SS 29'r

I have been looking at trying to get a budget steel rigid SS 29'r with mechanical disc brakes in size M. Looking for something used to get the price down even more. Are disc brakes overrated with single speed as to trying to get the chain tensioned and lined up right with the rotor and everything? I would like to get it around $300, but if the wife would approve maybe up to $500. It will not be a race machine. I just think that it will be a fun bike to do some really good training on with a certain trail that is 8 min from my house that isn't too rough and doesn't have any serious elevation gain.

Some bikes that I have been looking at are...
    Kona Unit
    Surly KM
    Redline Monocog
    Dawes Bullseye
    Nashbar

nothing to see here
    Disc brakes are never over-rated. See if you can find a second hand Unit/KM/Cog etc. You'll get better value and maybe some parts will have already been upgraded.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008
    OS Blackbuck.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
    OS Blackbuck.
    LOL!
    A lot of those around for <$500.

Look used. Good time of year to buy a bike.
    I picked up my first 29'er, a Soma Juice with V-brakes, and Surly / Salsa wheels for $500 off ebay. The guy even threw in a bunch of tools and a camelback.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    LOL!
    A lot of those around for <$500.

Look used. Good time of year to buy a bike.
    I picked up my first 29'er, a Soma Juice with V-brakes, and Surly / Salsa wheels for $500 off ebay. The guy even threw in a bunch of tools and a camelback.
    I don't know why that is so funny, the blackbuck is $600 and available now. I know its $100 more than what he said but for that extra $100 you get an awesome frame.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I don't know why that is so funny, the blackbuck is $600 and available now. I know its $100 more than what he said but for that extra $100 you get an awesome frame.
    I'm pretty sure that's his budget for a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What about the SE stout 29er? I saw them on chain love the other day for $299.
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

mtbr member
    you sure about that? I found one for $1400 USED and that's about it. are you talking about the frameset because I think the OP is talking about a complete bike.

On wuss patrol
    Yep, complete bike budget here.

I'd say the Bullseye, Stout, or a used 'Cog. More choices if you include alloy in the mix of considers... Gravity 29er, Nashbar 29er, and more used options.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

My bad

thought he was talking frame only.

mtbr member
    I've been riding my unit for over two years now (ya ok here come the jokes), it might be out of your price range though. The sliding dropout design makes slipping a disc brake wheelset in a no brainer (no funky adapters) and adjusting chain tension a creak free experience compared to some other methods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No, I am talking complete bike. I have a nice HT in a motobecane fantom SL 29 and have a Specialized Epic Comp 29 on my wish list. I'd like a rigid single speed on the cheap to see if it is my thing and think it would be a fun thing to train. Looking for a "beater" bike. If I really like the single speed or want to race I would upgrade, but I don't want to drop a ton of cash on something that I may be like.......eh, it's not my thing.

There is someone selling a monocog on craigslist that I am thinking about. Now, if I can just get my wife onboard. Based on how much I have been speending on bikes/biking and how much more I want to spend the wife thinks any money is too much money. Hence the budget

mtbr member
    the nashbar is aluminum.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another option is to check out a used Raleigh XXIX. They are often in your price range and spec'ed out to what you describe. I got one as a winter bike but grew to like it's handling and comfort and use it for commuting and singletrack. Single speeds are a blast off road-have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Another option is to check out a used Raleigh XXIX.
    Yep, last Christmas I paid $585 (tax included) for a brand new 2010 model. Love it. Just saw a used one on Ebay for $500.
    You can find used '08's and 09's for under $500.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a good budget steel rigid SS 29'r-raleighxxix0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I put down a $500 bid on this guy, but apparently wasn't good enough. The wife would have probably killed me without talking it over with her first.

I know very little to nothing of belt drives other than they look cool.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices