What frame?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What frame?

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

What frame?

I've been riding a monocog and have no intention of getting rid of it. I want to leave the suspension fork on it and not mess with it. It's a super dependable trail bike with the Avid disc front/v brake rear, reba and nobby nics. However I'm getting a little itch to build a new rigid race SS around the new Ritchy 470g fork.

Here's what I would want:
    Titanium hardtail with ~80mm fork geometry
    Track ends (no sliding drops or ebb)
    Light
    V brake (disc tab ok but not needed)
    26" wheels

Any frames come to mind? I ride a 19" Monocog and a 19.5" Fuel. 155lbs expert/endurance racer. Brainstorm away
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

French for "Suck"
    Custom.

No really, I am that slow
    if it wuz me, i'd start with Dean, Moots, Black Sheep.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Custom...

takes an awefully long time. No dean no way. Moots or BS are possibles I suppose. Anything out there off the shelf?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Modification

Or what about a frame out there that meets the criteria except for the track ends? Maybe James at BS could modify it more quickly than building an entirely new bike?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Custom.
    Strong Frames Custom.

Single Speed since 1997
    Jan 2005
    Personally I'd go for a frame with an EBB as I found that on several frames I've had with track drops both leg torque and disc braking forces throw the wheel off to the side,
    useing verticical drops it is possible to get a tight chain without a tensioner if you play with cog sizes but after 70-100 miles a new chain has stretched enough to throw the chain.
    what about a 'Spot' or an On-One that way you could get a frame off the peg

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobite
    Personally I'd go for a frame with an EBB as I found that on several frames I've had with track drops both leg torque and disc braking forces throw the wheel off to the side,
    useing verticical drops it is possible to get a tight chain without a tensioner if you play with cog sizes but after 70-100 miles a new chain has stretched enough to throw the chain.
    what about a 'Spot' or an On-One that way you could get a frame off the peg
    Don't want an EBB. I have a frame with track ends now and like it very much. Probably have 1000 offroad miles on the Monocog frameset this year. Sliding drops and EBBs are heavier and don't offer me any advantage. With a small chaintug I have no wheel issues and still use a quick release. Plus I don't intend to have a disc brake on the rear. Most likely v brakes at both ends and definitely no disc in the back.

Spot and On-one aren't really light either. Maybe a Scott Scale with an ENO would be lighter than any other option? Ti has always intriged me though...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Titus Ti

I have never ridden one myself, but I would be looking at a Titus frame with interchangeable dropouts. Bonus of having the option of using gears if you ever want to. You might have to go the custom route for the v-brake though.
    [

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about Spot? I believe they offer a Ti version of their frame for a $1,250 upcharge. It has track ends and is v-brake only. You might want to talk to a Spot dealer to see how long it would take to get one though. It might faster to get custom though. I know Spot can be a little slow.

I know Webcyclery is a spot dealer, you could talk to them.....

Single Speed since 1997
    Jan 2005
    OK I noted you didn't want a EBB and are going for the lightest frame you can find.
    I ride approx 2000-3000 miles a year single speed mostly for my daily commute and about 80-100 miles a month off road
    Have cracked a Marin Team Titianium 19'' twice and a Pace F6 twice both frames around the bottom bracket while riding singlespeed and I'm only 5' 9 1/2'' & 165lbs
    I've also been down the really light weight single speed - Giant MCM Carbon, hopes ultra light ft hub and their origional single speed rear, Titanium spokes, Pace RC31's, Avids origional Magnesium V' brakes, Action Tec BB, Sella SLR saddle, USE Carbon post, Easton EP90 bar, SRAM Composite ESP 9.0 V Brake levers, Bontrager Race Grips, all bolts are Ti or alloy in non stress bearing area's Maxxis worm drive tyres and tubes basically the lightest stuff I could find at the time
    A nice & light 15 lbs 5 1/4 oz and stiff ride

I did even think of a Titanium chain lol and used to go into the cycle shops with a set of digi scales to make sure I got the lightest I could - I now favour durability over weight

mtbr member
    Pivvay,
    James is sooo close to you...GO GET A BLACK SHEEP!! He's like a week off his delivery dates, he's fast man, and he's riding the same rides you want the bike for. Go talk to James!!...You need a sheep!!
    Oh, and PS Ed...Ha! I let the other thread die and I snuck a pic in here just for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Bs

I will get up to see James sometime. I've seen lots of sheeps around here Carbon vs Ti...hmmm
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

No really, I am that slow
    Hey! No fair. If you don't like a suggestion, you have to at least say why. 8^o

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Woe,

Was that to me about the Dean? I'm sure Deans are nice bikes and all but I had a good friend jerked around by them so they do not interest me in the slightest. The blacksheep (BS) does however if I were to go Ti with trackends over carbon with Eno. No ENO required is a nice benefit of custom Ti. Even after 1000s of miles I'm not quite sure I know exactly what dimesions I want out of a custom bike though...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0