What fork for my XXIX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

What fork for my XXIX?

The girlfriend has offered to buy me a fork as a Christmas/birthday preset(5 days apart). Iv been running the stock rigid fork that come on my 08 XXIX and i like it alot. it helped my climbing and taught me to pick better lines than i normally would have. I dont know much about forks, in fact i know nothing. I love the rigid fork but often wish i had a suspension fork on those nasty fast really roots downhills where my group leaves me behind. My bike already weighs in at 28.0lbs and im wondeing if adding a suspension fork will make it super heavy. Im also wondering how it will change my climbing since thats currently one of my advantages. So im lost on whether to go with a suspension fork or a carbon rigid. I would love a carbon fork but im infamous for wiping out and dont wanna trash a fork if i dont have to.

Couple questions,

What is the difference in a suspension corrected and a non suspension corrected rigid fork?

What has been proven to be a good suspension fork on the XXIX?

Help? pics?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Suspension Corrected (Fork)
    Suspension forks have more room above the top of the tire, to allow the suspension to move. Frames built for suspension forks are designed so that the bottom end of the head tube will normally be higher up to make room for the suspension fork's travel.

Suspension corrected rigid forks mimic this geometry, they have longer blades to hold the head tube up to the same height a suspension fork would. If you desire to replace a suspension fork with a rigid fork, you shold opt for a "suspension corrected' rigid fork to preserve the frame's normal geometry.
    Sheldonbrown.com

The XXIX does not have a suspension-corrected fork, so installing a squishy fork will alter the frame angles.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Damn, i feel like you just told me santa clause doesnt exist. I was stoked about a new fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The geometry specs shown between the XXIX and the XXIX-G that comes with a 80mm Reba SL aren't very different. The stand over height is a bit different as well as chain stay length, but other than that, the head angle and everything are the same. Axle to crown height is 430mm.

This article has an email response from Raleigh saying that the measurements are similar when compared with the 80mm with 20mm sag on the same fork.

I H8 cigarettes...
    Why not email Raleigh about adding a squishy fork to your frame and see what they have to recommend?

I ride a rigid fork as well and wouldn't want to trade the climbing ability and razor edge handling just to help the braking feel on rough/rooty trails...

What about a good wheel set upgrade? That is a great way to lighten up a 28 lb bike... esp tubeless, you will feel the difference everywhere.

One thing I would not change easily if I were you is your girlfriend! She sounds like a good one...
    One is enough...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe
    Why not email Raleigh about adding a squishy fork to your frame and see what they have to recommend?

I ride a rigid fork as well and wouldn't want to trade the climbing ability and razor edge handling just to help the braking feel on rough/rooty trails...

What about a good wheel set upgrade? That is a great way to lighten up a 28 lb bike... esp tubeless, you will feel the difference everywhere.

One thing I would not change easily if I were you is your girlfriend! She sounds like a good one...
    Yep shes awesome! However i am required to get her a new iphone lol. Sounds like a fair trade off to me.

All morning iv been reading old tech articles on head angles and wheelbase and how it would affect handling. I think addind an 80mm fork similar to the fox fork that is coming out on the 2010 XXIX-G would only change the head angle by 1 degree and slow the handling a bit in tight turns but be more stable at higher speeds.

Im not completely sold on a suspension fork but im still considering it. Wheels would be nice. I alsmo know nothing about 29er wheels. I dont know what is considered light or what brands to consider etc. I have also been thinking about swapping the bb7 and bb5 i currently for a hydro setup. Carbon bars and seatpost are in the near future as well as a new saddle.

I have red hair
    This was my dilemma about a year ago with the exact same bike, and I ended up getting a sweet deal on a carbon rigid fork and haven't looked back. The fork I got has an axle-to-crown measurement of about 460mm (29er suspension-corrected), whereas the stock XXIX fork in 2008 (which is somewhat suspension corrected compared to the 2007 model) has a A-to-C of 440mm (2007 models are about 420mm). You are also correct in assuming that the XXIX+G is similar geometry, as I have spoken with our shop's Raleigh reps many times and found that they basically just throw a Reba on an XXIX frame. As for the handling, the biggest difference I noticed was how light the front end now feels. I dropped almost 1.5lbs of the front end and this helped a ton when it came to technical climbs, descents, and sand; the bike floats over everything now .

One thing to consider is that adding a suspension fork will add at least another 1-2lbs, depending on which you get, and the only benefit will be that you will be able to descend faster. Climbing will suffer because of the weight, it will do worse in sand (if you even have sand where you live), and it will handle a tad slower. I would go for the carbon fork, because in my experience, it smooths out the ride, drops a ton of weight, and not once have i had to worry about damaging my fork (it's not like your'e putting a roadie carbon fork on it, they're made to go offroad and be beaten on). Look at the White Bros fork, because it comes in 3 sizes: 425mm, 445mm, and 465mm (if I remember correctly). I went for the Origin8 fork, but that's just cause I got a deal on it. If you have any other questions, pm me and I'll be glad to help you out.

"I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yea i guess i might as well go with a rigid carbon. Shaving weight and climbing faster as opposed to adding weight and climbing slower sounds alot better to me. heres no problem with the rigid, i love it.

I really like the look of the niner carbon fork buts its like 470mm or something like that.

Frt Range, CO
    What axle to crown distance do you need to match up the your existing fork? This ebay vender has CF forks in lots of sizes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eXotic-29er-Rigi...item2ea88f307c

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i guess as close to 440mm as possible. White bros has a 445mm that would work pretty damn good i think.

I have red hair
    Yeah, the White Bros 445mm is ideal. I found I could somewhat compromise for the taller fork by having a shorter steerer, thus the handlebars were in relatively the same position as before, but i could still tell it handles a little differently. I did get my XXIX to come in at 25.5 lbs (about 25.9 as pictured cause of the heavier tires i now have on it) with the carbon fork, hydros, Crossmarks, new stem, seat, ti skewers, seat collar, and foam grips. new handle bars, seatpost and crank will be my upgrades for next summer

BTW, hydros were the second best upgrade for me, but the discussion over mech discs versus hydros needs its own thread...personal preference really

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yea iv been deciding on wether or not to go with hydros. Which is generally lighter?

i would love to be able to get my bike down to the 25 pound range. Its not bad at 28, i can handle it and move it around however i want but 25 would be nice. Im still running pretty much stock everything plus salsa skewers and seat clamp which are heavier than stock.

mtbr member
    This topic has been covered to a great extent previously on MTBR. Pics info and specs are all here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=xxix+fork
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    This topic has been covered to a great extent previously on MTBR. Pics info and specs are all here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=xxix+fork
    I came across that thread a little while after i created this one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Another question. My stock fork not a 74mm post mount but it does have an adapter and my BB7 mechanical brake works fine with a 180mm rotor. The white bros says 160mm, no problem, im ordering hydro brakes also. My question is this. Will this hayes 160mm brake kit work with this fork without an adapter? And rear brake mounts are all the same correct?

brakes

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ging%2009.aspx

fork

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/181...Rigid-Fork.htm

I just need some confirmation from more experienced minds. Thanks in advance.

I have red hair
    yep, you're good, they both say post mount, so they'll work with each other

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    This was my dilemma about a year ago with the exact same bike, and I ended up getting a sweet deal on a carbon rigid fork and haven't looked back.

That looks like a nice ride; although you might want to consider some race green Ergon grips on that frame.

Birthday Collector
    Don't do it!!! - Esp if you have an early XXIX - kinda "choppers it out" and it has floppy steering, IMO. Now - a Carbon Fork with about the same A-C would be sweet, but not give you the cush that a air or sprung fork would. I have occassional desires for more absorption on rocky steep downhills, where I have to slow a bit. Yes - the fast descenders on squishy bikes leave me behind there - but I also wait for them sometimes on a climb or some of the fast smooth rolling stuff. Get as fat of a front tire as you can (that still rolls nicely) and just keep picking those lines. There is a slight difference between the XXIX and the XXIX+G - suspension correction and standard BB.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Get a custom rigid fork and lose some weight from the front, keep the same proven geometry, and improve the unique looks of your ride ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    Don't do it!!! - Esp if you have an early XXIX - kinda "choppers it out" and it has floppy steering, IMO. Now - a Carbon Fork with about the same A-C would be sweet, but not give you the cush that a air or sprung fork would. I have occassional desires for more absorption on rocky steep downhills, where I have to slow a bit. Yes - the fast descenders on squishy bikes leave me behind there - but I also wait for them sometimes on a climb or some of the fast smooth rolling stuff. Get as fat of a front tire as you can (that still rolls nicely) and just keep picking those lines. There is a slight difference between the XXIX and the XXIX+G - suspension correction and standard BB.
    There will only be a 5 mm a-c difference with a carbon fork. I live in houston so there arent many downhills that i get left behind on. Just roots everywhere but iv pretty much got my trails memorized and know the fast lines. I dont have any problem at all staying rigid, i just want some flashy parts and losing a pound and a half on the front wouldnt hurt either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I own an '08 XXiX and faced the same dilemma as you. Going up was great but descending on fast rocky trails was painful, so I bought a Reba and love it. I've switched a few times between the rigid and the Reba and really don't notice any difference in weight.

The only thing I did find that someone else mentioned was the feeling of riding a chopper, with the bars being quite high. To resolve that I reduced the spacers between the headset and stem and bought a Hope XC stem with 10 degree rise and flipped it. Problem solved for me at least and the bike rides great.

I just don't believe that Carbon offers anything close to a suspension fork in bump absorption. If weight is your concern of course a carbon fork is the way to go, but if it's really about being able to go quicker downhill, go suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Honestly, think i just wanted to buy a suspension fork cause they look cool lol. Iv been riding my friends GF x cal with a fox 32 and finally jumped back on my own bike today. And my mine is made up. Rigid is it. And single speed it is too. Theres just nothing like it and i think i needed to cheat myself a while to realize that. Im not saying ill never go with suspension or a geared bike, but at this point in my life SS rigid has my heart.............no ****.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    Honestly, think i just wanted to buy a suspension fork cause they look cool lol. Iv been riding my friends GF x cal with a fox 32 and finally jumped back on my own bike today. And my mine is made up. Rigid is it. And single speed it is too. Theres just nothing like it and i think i needed to cheat myself a while to realize that. Im not saying ill never go with suspension or a geared bike, but at this point in my life SS rigid has my heart.............no ****.
    amen. exactly where my head is these days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    damn we cant saw hoe moe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So, i got the fork in today and im having trouble with a little bit of play.

The bottom bearing race went on fine, pressed it down and it seems to be flush with the top of the fork. Then the pastic ring thingywent on top of that, then the bearings, and then the plastic wedge type piece that goes on top of the bearings that is where i think my problem lies. Does the wedge point up or down? Either way, it will not fall into the bearings so to speak, because of the lower bearing race is sticking up too high......i think. Why would i have a problem if these are the exact same parts that were used on the old fork?

EDIT: NVM im stupid. This thing is really light!
    Last edited by The Diesel; 12-01-2009 at 10:08 PM.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    So, i got the fork in today and im having trouble with a little bit of play.

The bottom bearing race went on fine, pressed it down and it seems to be flush with the top of the fork. Then the pastic ring thingywent on top of that, then the bearings, and then the plastic wedge type piece that goes on top of the bearings that is where i think my problem lies. Does the wedge point up or down? Either way, it will not fall into the bearings so to speak, because of the lower bearing race is sticking up too high......i think. Why would i have a problem if these are the exact same parts that were used on the old fork?

EDIT: NVM im stupid. This thing is really light!
    pics???????????????????????????
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Of course. But the weather is bad and its dark so this is the best iv got for now. More to come. Bike weighs 26 pounds now!

nothing to see here
    itchin' to ride?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, big time. My home trails are wet and will probably stay wet for a couple weeks. Iv just been cleaning and lubing all the bikes.

banned
    What A-C length did you get? I am assuming that is the 2007 XXIX, non-suspension corrected?

mtbr member
    430mm a-to-c. AC length, rake, suspension fork examples, rigid forks covered extensively on MTBR in the thread with the an unfortunate subject line: Front suspension on 2008 XXIX Single. It almost never comes up in a search, here is the link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=488827

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mine is an 08 and the a to c measurement is 440mm on my bike. The fork i ordered measures 445mm. It feels really good and the only difference is that the fork sanctions are set further forward than the stock fork. I cant feel a difference right away but i only went down the street and back. The trails will tell all.

The new fork is beefy and feel alot more solid that the steel fork did. And its super light.

Members who have read this thread: 0