What flat/platform pedal and shoe combo is working for you?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What flat/platform pedal and shoe combo is working for you?

I'm thinking about giving the ole flat pedals/shoes a try on my singlespeed. My Terraduro Spd shoes are falling apart prematurely and instead of buying new SPD shoes I'm thinking of spending that money on platform pedals and accompanying shoes.

I'm not wanting to debate the merits of flats vs platforms for singlespeed riding, as that's been argued thoroughly. I'm simply seeking real world feedback on shoe/pedal combos that have worked for singlespeed riders.

Background, I ride a rigid SS, usually riding 25-40 miles with 3000-6000 vertical feet, often several creek crossings, lots of hike-a-biking and detours to scramble/explore on foot.

Thanks in advance!!!

Carl in Boise

mtbr member
    I am riding Giro Jackets with Cromag Contact pedals.

the Giro shoes are pretty comfy, but the soles are wearing out faster than I'd like. I got these instead of 5.10s because they were much cheaper and, at the time, it was hard to find 5.10 sneakers in a non-leather material. looks like 5.10 has more options for me now.

The Contact pedals are awesome. I had some VP Vice pedals before that and I still have them lying around. the platform on the Contact is MUCH larger than many other pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My Giros wore out super quick and ripped all the tread off the bottom. Just riding vans now. But I recently upgraded to Spank Oozys. Awesome. But they hurt the shins for sure. Would like five10s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    5.10 Freeriders with Saints pedals on my SS + tired rigid Kona Unit. Just about 0 wear on the soles after 4 months of regular use and pins fully extended/without spacers on pedals. I expected more wear after experience with softer 5.10 approach shoes and climbing shoes over the years. I got the Saints on sale/recommendation at the LBS. Great connection between shoe and pedal. Very happy with them.

mtbr member
    I use pedals like this.

Lighter than flats, clear mud and slush quickly, and not much mass to suck the heat out of my feet when it's subzero. I generally prefer a shoe with some lugs on the sole, but it's not essential. They can take quite a beating too.

I fill the bearing spaces with grease when they're new and they then last forever.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

WillWorkForTrail
    5:10 and xpedo spry has been what I've been using.

mtbr member
    5.10 Impact low, Forte Converts(will get a less shinburgery pedal next time, maybe Cromags)
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    5.10 impact low, heavy but absolutely solid shoe, I have 3,000 miles on mine right now and they are unphased, third pair I have owned and will NEVER tray another shoe. Moved to composite pedals and love them, one up composites, good grip, light, durable and strong!

mtbr member
    Picked up a pair of 5.10 Freerider canvas shoes on sale and a pair of Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals. Loving the grip on the Freeriders and loving the pedals even more! Great grip with a huge platform! took a few rides to get used to them though. They are a bit heavier but if I'm looking to lose some weight somewhere, it's not the bike I'm looking at!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Canfield magnesium flats plus adidas terrex with the stealth sole. I was riding 5.10 freeriders, but found them to be uncomfortable on rides over 2.5 hours.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not hijacking the thread, but I have read where the flats give you a better workout, kind of like not wearing a weight belt. Do you guys ride flats all the time?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    5.10 Freeriders and Spitfires and both VP Vice and Wellgo c135 pedals. The VP is a much bigger platform than the Wellgo but the Freeriders stick to both pretty well. And the shoes are very durable. Probably close to 2000 miles on my original spitfire shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I find the prevailing consensus forum advice that 5.10s are the be all/end all of shoes for flats to be annoying; a hype-train. But I have a couple of pairs, and I'll be damned if they are not excellent.

I got a pair of these older water models for $59 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Five-Ten-Wate...en+water+shoes. They dry out well if you get them wet. The sole is a little bit harder rubber than the other ones, but after a few rides they worked just as well.

I also have some old school Vans which work great, too. They have a little more flex so I can feel the pedals better. Good for practicing trials skills.

I'm using these with Specialized Boomslang pedals, which are basically studded pedals similar to most other studded pedal models. I have also tried them with old school claw pedals and the grip was not nearly as good as the studded pedals. I have some Race Face Chesters on my daughter's bike that work awesome, too, for cheap.

There is a Ryan Leech 12 ride flat pedal challenge on ryanleech.com which is free and recommended if you are used to riding in clips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Not hijacking the thread, but I have read where the flats give you a better workout, kind of like not wearing a weight belt. Do you guys ride flats all the time?
    Don't know about a better workout, have exclusively ridden flats for last 20 years or so, can't even imagine being cleated in anymore. Only found 5.10s in last 10 years maybe less a real game changer, very hard to find acceptable stuff before that from main stream bike shoe companies.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

MMS
    mtbr member
    I'm running 5.10 Impacts (got em on sale, good shoes...but a bit of overkill) and Race Face Atlas. I'm happy with both.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    5/10 freerider... contact maybe? Same sole regardless AFAIK, with Spank Oozy's, and actually just threw a set of... whatever the lower end Spank pedal was on my ROS (currently geared) because it came in purple to match. The old Oozy's (one green and one blue) will go over to my ROS+ SS I am building, to match the blue Raceface crank and green AB oval and green frame. I have a problem...