what ever happened to...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what ever happened to...

all those simple SS rides that used to be the mainstay of this forum? seems that yuppie thinking has taken over. most of the bikes i see here look great and i'm sure they are. but they probably look more at home on top of a BMW than on a muddy single track.

kinda like a big macho 4x4 with a chromed undercarriage

giddy up!

Hmmm....

.....not sure what to say to that....I think my bike is pretty nice looking, it has alot of nice parts on it, and it would probably look great atop a BMW. However, it also sees at least 100 dirt miles a week, every week, all year. I don't see why the two need to be mutually exclusive.

I put time and money into my bike because I ride it everyday and I want it to perform flawlessly. If that makes me a yuppy I'm cool with that!

Quote Originally Posted by MrNatural
    all those simple SS rides that used to be the mainstay of this forum? seems that yuppie thinking has taken over. most of the bikes i see here look great and i'm sure they are. but they probably look more at home on top of a BMW than on a muddy single track.

www.thepathbikeshop.com

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    About four years ago I had all these spare bike parts laying around. I figured I'd just buy a singulator and build up a single speed. At that time, I never would have thunk about spending money on a dedicated single speed. That would be stupid. Now, like most riders in this forum, I am hooked on single speeds. I now eat my words because I'm building up a dedicated ss over a grand$$$$. Weather it's an inexpensive ss build or a custom build, I think it's all good. There's worse things to be spending our money on like drugs, alcohol, and video games. No matter what we ride on, we all share a passion for single speeds.

Birdman aka JMJ

Little of both

I just got into SSing and I'm loving it. I wanted to rescue a worthy frame as my first SSer, so I spent a lot of time looking for that "perfect" frame, either an old school steel frame or discounted new steel or ti frame. Found a '92 Litespeed ti frame while on vacation in WV, the rest is history. Turned a negected wall-hanger into a righteous SS rig, for about $1K. all told, using used and discounted bike parts.

I set a budget and kept to it. I could have built it up a lot cheaper (say a low-buck or old steel frame, cast-off parts, etc.) but I'd probably end up upgrading it anyway. I built it up how I wanted, and and to my minumim requirements. This one fits me to a T.

Would it look good on top of a BMW? No, but it sure as heck looks good on top of my Saab. And it gets dirty more than my full suspension 27sp rig.

JMJ

mtbr member

yes

this is the most interesting post. a very good question here. why do we ask this, and how do we arrive at this moment of self-knowledge?

perhaps our assumptions need to be reexamined.

for example, i've noticed the sharp rise in posters whenever a newbie or gearie, etc. asks the question in one form or another, "what's the big deal with ss anyway?" you get the standard reply from the lurkers and regulars that we're tougher, leaner, value-conscious, asthetically superior, generally cooler better than you if you have to ask you don't understand one-percenter chest thumping tattoo picture posting stuff.

who is that person? that's the tribalist. the sorta dumb kinda fun identity. and about as deep and absorbant as a good paper towel. bug toothed cool. beats selling photo copiers 8 hours a day. or whatever.

i think tribalists really like to show off their stuff and get nice replies from the others. oddly enough, that includes broken parts, cuts and scrapes. hey tough luck with the nose there, ssnameheress, hope the teeth grow back... etc. kinda like ma or pa when you we're 7 years old and they'd towel you off and ask where you got all the damage. i wiped out on the bike and thanks for caring. warm feeling here.

the other guys who post $4K titanium machines. they're those guys, too. only with lots of money. or credit. the poor tribalists don't really trust the rich ones. so, mrnatural, it is not surprising that a lord of the flies question such as yours pops up. it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

we're not a tribe. we're a bunch of riders with internet access. look here for hobby affirmation, not competitive self. there is no answer to your question, but it is an awesome question.

giddy up!

I disagree.

I don't build bikes for affirmation or a sense of belonging. I build bikes because I love to RIDE them. That being said, I like to ride bikes that perform flawlessly and thoughtlessly.
    For that reason and that reason ALONE do I build nice bikes....

I buy king headsets and hubs because I like to support small american companies that stand up for what's right, and because I think they are the best stuff available.

I bought a ti frame because I want something that is comfortable and durable, and I like to support the smaller builders.

If that makes me a tribalist in some convoluted way, so be it.....I'll still be riding a bike that suits my needs and allows me to do what I love to do.....ride bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    this is the most interesting post. a very good question here. why do we ask this, and how do we arrive at this moment of self-knowledge?

perhaps our assumptions need to be reexamined.

for example, i've noticed the sharp rise in posters whenever a newbie or gearie, etc. asks the question in one form or another, "what's the big deal with ss anyway?" you get the standard reply from the lurkers and regulars that we're tougher, leaner, value-conscious, asthetically superior, generally cooler better than you if you have to ask you don't understand one-percenter chest thumping tattoo picture posting stuff.

who is that person? that's the tribalist. the sorta dumb kinda fun identity. and about as deep and absorbant as a good paper towel. bug toothed cool. beats selling photo copiers 8 hours a day. or whatever.

i think tribalists really like to show off their stuff and get nice replies from the others. oddly enough, that includes broken parts, cuts and scrapes. hey tough luck with the nose there, ssnameheress, hope the teeth grow back... etc. kinda like ma or pa when you we're 7 years old and they'd towel you off and ask where you got all the damage. i wiped out on the bike and thanks for caring. warm feeling here.

the other guys who post $4K titanium machines. they're those guys, too. only with lots of money. or credit. the poor tribalists don't really trust the rich ones. so, mrnatural, it is not surprising that a lord of the flies question such as yours pops up. it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

we're not a tribe. we're a bunch of riders with internet access. look here for hobby affirmation, not competitive self. there is no answer to your question, but it is an awesome question.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Upset

goddamn bmw driving singlespeed riding a-holes! fock 'em and their yuppie lifestyle. they probably never even ride, just post pictures of thier fancy bikes. poseurs, the lot, i tell ya!

p.s. anyone know how to get coyote poo stains off light grey oakley shorts? i'd hate to stain the seats in my, er, ford.

giddy up!
    hehehehehe......

Can't help you on the poo stain issue....I rarely ride in areas where I could potentially get dirty, let alone spattered in coyote crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    goddamn bmw driving singlespeed riding a-holes! fock 'em and their yuppie lifestyle. they probably never even ride, just post pictures of thier fancy bikes. poseurs, the lot, i tell ya!

p.s. anyone know how to get coyote poo stains off light grey oakley shorts? i'd hate to stain the seats in my, er, ford.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Well said...

donkey and pope.

Funny how the "tribalist" mentality comes up w/ these types of fringe activities. I'm new to this whole fixie/SS thing. I used to ride my Stumpjumper years ago for fun on weekends. Thought it was cool to finally have a suspension fork and vbrakes instead of the old rigid and bad canti's. Now it's retro and cool to go rigid w/ cantis, just like the return of bell bottoms and platform shoes. Just got a CRB and am looking for ways to improve it and enjoy it.

I understand that there seemed to be a movement to simplicity. Screw the $$$ stuff and use what you got. Hallelujah, I'm all for that. I like the purity. But there's also room for the other side of the spectrum. We're not all punked out anarchist messengers trying to slash tires on all the SUVs. (Yes, this is an extreme cliche, but only used to make a point.) Some of us ARE hardworking "yuppies", if you want to call it that. And, why shouldn't we spend our money and time where we want? If someone can spend $1k on a SS rig, have at it. Those expensive components will finally make their way to ebay so I can buy them. AND, I'll put my SS on my BMW rack or beater Ford Explorer with a big smile on my face.

if there are "tribalists" out there going for purity, why are you on the internet? Isn't that the opposite of going w/ simplicity? Unless of course your computer is being run by pedal power...

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    You get what you pay for.

In addition to the coyote crap! How do I get my wifes dam dog (ok..she's my dog to now) to stop rolling in any **** she finds.

Glutton for punishment
    Mar 2004

Well, uh........

MY big zoot yuppie machine ( Spot frame, Phil BB, White cranks, paul hubs, levers and Thomson seatpost, surly 1x1 fork) sees muddy single track all the time as it is the only mountain bike I own anymore, and I ride the SH*T out of it nearly every day. I have a geared yuppie touring bike too - a Rivendell Atlantis (phil hubs, yadda yadda...) and that is about it.....except the POS attatched to an Xtracycle that I use instead of a ford f-250 to haul groceries.......I have no car and no need for one and further, I think you might be trying too hard to lump everyone here together so's you can appear as insightful and hip as your avatar was oh, 30 years ago.

Now get out there and go for a ride.

Clifford

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I schlapped mine together with E-bay parts and advice from friends who've done this for years, and it's a lightweight, simple dream machine. Rides like a rocketship, I get it muddy or dirty every day. Used to be a geary, now I'm an SS rider to stay. It's opened another chapter in my riding career and I'm grateful to all who had the guts to start doing this when everybody laughed. Noboy's laughing anymore, this is a serious and respectable aspect of the sport. So I don't care who rides what or drives what, if they come out to play they better come prepared to ride hard and have fun. Oops....gotta go, trail's callin' my name!!

giddy up!

Another thing to consider.....

.....I am 26 years old. I work 5 days a week and ride 7. I don't have a home, wife, kids, or any other time/money consuming commitments. If I choose to spend my money on a bike that is durable and performs the way that I want it too, that's my business.

Also, I have spent plenty of time riding POS conversion SSpeed's, but why would I want to when I can ride a bike that fits, rides and performs the way that I want it too.

This argument is lame. I'm not looking for an identity in the SS community. I just love bikes. I own quite a few geared bikes too. I ride with gearies all the time. I'm not a "singlespeeder", I'm a cyclist. I'll say it again, if owning nice bikes makes me a yuppy.....sign me up!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Its all good.

The sparrow feels sorry for the peacock for the burden of his tail.

Bikes not Bombs.....

ME... ME... I wanna be Tribal,,,, PLEASEEEEE......

Could some one please inform me as to where I might go to get my nose pierced?????

I really enjoy this thread. Both sides battling it out for world superiority.... the dirt poor farm boys and the mega buck yuppies spewing 100 dollar bills out of their tail pipes....

As to those who ride P.O.S. SS's, right on! Get back to your roots if that is what makes you happy. If you want to spend your hard earned cash on a BLINGcycle, right on! People might want to spend more time on riding their own rigs than judging other peoples bikes.

What turns me on is the passion each of us has for our rides. The community we have here, friends that actually know something about each other, and a support system that will offer information to make your SS a happy riding experience.

I think the greatest attribute of the SS community is the acceptance of each other. We dig bikes. All bikes. $ to $$,$$$.$$ bikes turn us on.

We are in a fish bowl. Many of the outsiders looking in wondering why we do what we do. We are looking out asking the same question, why the need for XXXX or XXXX.

So.... where can became a tribal member ?????? Do you accept credit cards
    and do I get frequent flyer miles on that.....?

SS Jerry - Aka Chief Bling Bling
    Last edited by SS Jerry; 05-14-2004 at 07:18 PM.
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Steamroller

We've seen your bikes......Yuppie Scum

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I am so cornfused.... where do I fit in ????? SS Jerry - Aka Chief Bling Bling
    I couldn't resist Jerry
    I have a $30 SS bike and a $1000 SS bike. I know which I'd rather ride and which most of you would rather see pictures of. $1000 is peanuts some of the bikes posted here have twice that in the frame alone.

I think most of us are here because we like SS bikes, when we can't actually ride, we like talking about bikes, reading about bikes, etc. Everyones bike is cool, and everyone with a really big $$$ bike has been passed by people on POS bikes.

As for the tribal thing, at least when it comes to tatoos and piercings, they are just another way some chose to spend money, so is that really much less yuppie? ........ The only thing worse than spending big $$ on tatoos to look cool is spending huge $$$$ to get them removed years later to look more respectable.......trust me I know........Oh and it hurts way more too. You have to be twice as tough to get them removed, just imagine tig welding on your skin.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member

jezzus k-rist...

... it was just an observation. some of ya are protesting much too loudly. now lets all just get back ta ridin'

Bikes not Bombs.....

Self Confessed Yuppie Scum..... Yep....

Yep, I like bikes, big bikes, small bikes, bikes in the morning, bikes in the evening, ugly 2 AM take her home type ugly bikes, I even spend some money now and then on a bike.....

I almost got a Yosemite Sam tatoo on my right arm when I was 17. The girl I liked, didn't like them, so guess what..... never got it. Would I get one today, probably not. I did think once about growing my hair out long like I had it in the 70's, but then I would have a Skullet. I guess I will never be cool......but my bikes still like me......

Proud member of the NorCal Tribe of SS'ers

-JS-

mtbr member

Exactamundo!

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    This argument is lame. I'm not looking for an identity in the SS community. I just love bikes. I own quite a few geared bikes too. I ride with gearies all the time. I'm not a "singlespeeder", I'm a cyclist. I'll say it again, if owning nice bikes makes me a yuppy.....sign me up!
    Once upon a time (late 80's early 90's) I identified as a "mountain biker" because according to my adolescent, punk-a$$ attitude roadies were snobs. (It seems that's largely fallen by the wayside except amongst a few closed-minded inDuhviduals, but the roadie vs. mtb thing seemed to be the prevailing attitude 10 years or so ago.)

Then I got a road bike, started putting in some road miles, including my first couple centuries, and later commuting 45 mi./day on it and I realized "Hey, these things are fun too!" From there it was a natural progression. If mountain bikes are fun, and road-bikes are fun, than other types of bikes are probably fun too and I wanna try 'em all. Somewhere along the line I realized I'm not a "mountain biker" nor a "roadie" I'm simply a cyclist. As such, anything with two wheels propelled by pedal-power is ok by me.

--Trevor

The Top Cap Guy

Good job!

Maybe we should start a mud only picture thread.... lol - that way you can't tell how expensive the bike is - only that the bike has one gear.....??? ...lol

Maybe I should be driving a BMW - but my money is better spent on my bikes... I enjoy bikes... riding them, working on them , and talking about them. So for now my 9 year old Honda Accord is going to have to get my bike to the trail head (because I can't ride to one from where I live) and then once in the dirt I can find myself and relax and everything will better again... it helps me mentally as well as physically - that's why I ride - it makes me a better person (inside and out).

I'm not slamming either side, and I'm not mad about the topic in anyway... just stating that there may even be more than 2 sides to the group.... the price of the bike sholdn't matter- I'll always have a soft spot for my first SS a Converted Giant hardtail. But in my book a $3500 Singlespeed SS bike is always better than $2000 in golf clubs or a $500 bowling ball (no offense to those who own such items or ifmy price is way off). Bikes are my thing.. and to each their own!

Later
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Bikes not Bombs.....

$500 bowling balls ?????

WOW !!!!

If I paid $500 for a bolwing ball, I would want all 5 fingers drilled out.....

Now that would be custom.... maybe put a few flames on it......you get the picture.

JS

hidden persuasions
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    The sparrow feels sorry for the peacock for the burden of his tail.

Bend, but do not break, and you too shall know the way.