What else do you ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

What else do you ride?

Long post.....

Recently got back into riding earlier this year from a 16 year hiatus. I am 40 and would say that I ride fairly hard, but by no means am I great. I keep up with or in front of all my riding buddies whom all ride nice geared full squishers. I started back into the sport earlier this year with a Santa Cruz Tallboy3, realizing I got the wrong size, I sold it and got a Santa Cruz Hightower in the correct size and with a bit more suspension for my riding. I enjoy going fast, love the rocky stuff, drops, jumps, climbing etc. I pretty much use the whole suspension travel of my Hightower and I have fun riding aggressively with my riding buddies. Well, 4 months ago, I got a Carver Gnarvester and after 1 day of riding it geared, I tried SS, and have not even thought of going back. I ride it as hard as my Hightower and although I am not one who lives for Strava, my fastest times down our steepest, rockiest, technical stuff are either real close to the Hightower or even faster.

So here is my problem, I freaking love my Carver, I have it setup with 3.0" carbons and they provide plenty of suspension, and I feel like I am riding a giant mountain bmx bike. Every time I head out for a ride, there is no question of which bike to take. I simply have much more fun on my Carver and it meets all my needs. So, I hate having a $4k+ bike slowly becoming a clothes rack for my wife in our garage. I am now planning to sell it, not because I don't enjoy it, but because it's too expensive to not be ridden. I would feel much better if the Carver was the expensive one and the Hightower the cheaper one, which I can ride occasionally and have as a back up. I really like the idea of having a back up in case something major takes my Carver out of service. I like the idea of that backup being different too so that I can have a different riding experience. Over the last month I have been torn on what to do and what to get if anything.

I am leaning at this point to just sticking with my Carver alone and dealing with any major out of service issues as they arise. I am also considering getting something else, say in the $1500 range or less but more is ok if I will use it. Been thinking about a fatty, or something similar to my Gnarvester. On a side note, I already struggle with the fact that I ride a SS and most my buddies ride gears, and it's tough to ride side by side and chat for obvious reasons. When I ride the Hightower, we are pretty much side by side the whole ride which I enjoy as well. I am also considering just getting a cheaper sub $600 SS or fixie for onroad riding if my Carver is ever out of service. Also thinking about another hardtail of some sort with or without gears, maybe fat, or skinny.

So, if you sort of like to ride the same stuff as I do, what other bikes do you ride?
    Last edited by Jakeg1999; 11-09-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Downcountry AF
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 11-10-2017 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Congrats on the Carver. What a great bike, and quite possibly my next since I love my Carver forks.

There is nothing wrong with liking a bike that is less expensive than the other. That's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Where you're getting back into riding after a lengthy time away, I'd consider holding on to the Hightower for a bit. You may come back to it and tastes can change over time. That said, if you do decide to sell it because it's not being used, I'd be looking at a road bike since you like the mountain bike you're on. If something happens or needs serviced on the Carver just hit the pavement for a few days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    You will love the Carver, what a great bike. Being that my last bike was a 1997 Gary Fisher before the Tallboy and Hightower, I was absolutely amazed at the new technology. Once I tried these new full suspension bikes, I was blown away. If someone told me I would be willing to give up the squishers for a Ti hardtail with semi fat tires for a third the price and that I would ride it on the same trails as good or better, I'd tell them they were crazy.

I can't argue your logic about hanging onto the HT or getting a road bike. I will admit that I am a bit afraid to venture into the world of road bikes as I am sure I will get hooked, spend more money than I should, and spend too much time on dangerous roads. However I am strongly interested in a SS road bike or Fixie of some sort for some close by onroad paths and some street riding. Funny enough, my current road bike is a 24" bmx bike, of which I will routinely do 20+ mile rides on it.

I like the idea of a bike that pushes me to get better, and stronger. Sort of like the SS mountain bike. I wouldn't mind something that I could ride to improve my strength and stamina for when I ride my Carver.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Congrats on the Carver. What a great bike, and quite possibly my next since I love my Carver forks.

There is nothing wrong with liking a bike that is less expensive than the other. That's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Where you're getting back into riding after a lengthy time away, I'd consider holding on to the Hightower for a bit. You may come back to it and tastes can change over time. That said, if you do decide to sell it because it's not being used, I'd be looking at a road bike since you like the mountain bike you're on. If something happens or needs serviced on the Carver just hit the pavement for a few days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My most ridden bikes:

Cannondale CAADX (gravel and paved roads)
    Trek Superfly SS

I have a few other bikes. The most expensive of them was still only $1800, so I don't feel too guilty about having other bikes that I don't ride very often. Wouldn't mind getting rid of a couple of them just for space reasons though.
    Last edited by Geralt; 11-09-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: $ correction

WillWorkForTrail
    My other bike is a 4" travel FS geared bike. My SS normally gets more milage than my Anthem 29er. But there are some days I want to ride and just don't think I can take the beating I know I'm due for on the SS. This is usually days when I'm on my 3rd or 4th ride for the week, or maybe after a long ride. That's where the Anthem comes in. I'd keep it because:

1) No one ever said "I wish I had a crappier bike." and meant it.
    2) You won't get anything near what you put into the bike out of it, and you still like it right?
    3) eventually you're going to need a part for that Carver. You can ride the HT while you wait for the part to come in.
    4) IF you hurt yourself somehow, anyhow, doesn't have to be on the bike, the SS may not be a real option for you, while a FS geared bike might allow you to go easy for a while until you CAN ride the SS again.

Otherwise, if you're just concerned about the bike being ridden, send it to me and I promise I'll rotate it in once a week to keep it fit until you need it back.

psycho cyclo addict
    Most to least ridden bikes:

Waltworks rigid (Niner Carbon or Walt steel fork and 3.0" front tire) SS 29er
    (work commutes and some urban and dirt rides)

Fuji Tahoe geared hard tail 29er
    (weekly fast-pace urban assaults, long mixed surface and some dirt rides)

Chris King Cielo rigid (ENVE carbon fork and 3.0" tire) SS 29er
    (primarily ride trails with this one- most of my riding cronies ride geared full suspension bikes)

Turner Sultan full suspension 29er- if the drive wasn't so far to the really tech trails, I'd ride this puppy more.
    (technical rides on rocks, roots, etc.)

Fat bikes are not for me... sure they are cool/fun just too limited use for what I do year round. Two of my buddies have them and they rarely bring them out because there is no way they can keep up after an hour or two of pedaling all that rotating mass and larger contact with the ground on the trails.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Good feedback guys and I really like hearing about your other rides. Hanging onto it is starting to become more of a thought. I also have two extra sets of 29 wheels, one which has slicks on it, so was sort of thinking of a nice rigid that could handle maybe 2.3Ē boost wheels, be setup for both SS/geared, but ridden mostly on road.

mtbr member
    I'm in a similar position as you, Jakeg1999, only I've got about a decade on you Anyway, I started riding a Krampus SS back in '12 as a placeholder while my primary 29er frame was being repaired. I fell in love w/ it and it gets most of my dirt miles here in rocky, ledgy, techy Austin. IMHO I'd sell the squish while there's still some value and think about a SS cross/gravel/urban adventure bike like an All City Nature Boy. I have one (as do many of my riding buddies in ATX), and they ride great and offer amazing bang for the buck. When it's too wet to ride singletrack, or when we're looking for a gravel grinder ride for more miles, or just to explore urban trails and features, we ride these. Some set 'em up flat bar, and some (like me) go w/ drops.

And as for my Carver connection, I bought my Krampus frameset, plus one of their XC470 carbon forks from Forrest Carver back in 2012. Then added their ti Prybar to the Krampus as well as my other 29er SS. Carver is an awesome company with some of the best customer service in the biz.

mtbr member
    For awhile had GT Peace 9R as SS and a RIP9, then got the ROS9 with Pike 140, RIP9 pretty much went unused. Then got the ROS9+, sold the RIP9 last Spring. No looking back.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

The perfessor
    - a shame you feel you can't fit your SC into the corral; I have a SC Tallboy, a Ti Fly Motobecane 29er turned SS, and a Paketa road bike I just turned into a commuter special (love it).......just like different rides for different days......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    I feel your pain. I have a 17lb rigid SS. (Niner one Nine with fattish carbon wheels). It is my goto over my super hi tech bouncy Pivot Trail. My latest purchase which makes life even more confusing is a Niner RLT drop bar gravel grinder. i LOVE THIS BIKE, it is perfect for long days in the saddle. It has 42 cc tires, soon will have a 38 oval chainring to grind UPHILL when needed on single track. I honestly was considering selling my Pivot, when on a day after riding my SS and legs were dead, I hopped on the Pivot and spun the day away on a 30ish mile 4kish elevation day feeling great and came back saying, "I think I will keep it.
    So in a nutshell, I think the Holy Trinity would be a light & fun rigid SS , a carbon FS , and a good steel gravel grinder. Having a surplus of bikes is a good thing, as boredom and open-heart surgeries suck! Just ride, grin, and repeat.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    My bike list I ride in order of most ridden
    Vassago Mooseknuckle SS
    2016 Trek Procal 9.9 SL
    2018 Trek Slash 9.8
    2017 Salsa timberjack 27.5+ ( frame is being built)

I'll ride my SS over any of the other bikes.
    Too Many .

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    2011 Kona Unit 29er SS hard tail and sometimes rigid.
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon 26er SS hard tail with 140mm Pike.
    2011 Specialized Secteur road bike with gears.

Many other frames and bits of bikes that have been retired but could be pressed back into service...

mtbr member
    OP, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I caught the SS bug 3 years ago and went all in for a while after building up a GF Rig on a small budget. For about 2 years I rode the SS 19 times out of 20 and my expensive Spec'd Camber Evo just sat there but this last season I started reaching for the FS a lot more for a couple reasons. First, the flexibility if a FS with gears lets me go on any trail. That's needed when exploring new trails. And second, all rides were an overall moderate pace so my fitness hit a plateau.

If you're serious about selling the FS look realistically at how much money you can get for it. I did this exercise and quickly realized I'd get pennies on the dollar and it's worth more to me to ride it than to take such a large loss.

For reference here's what's I ride...

Carver 420 SS for racing
    Carver 420 geared (soon to be replaced with ???). Also my backup bike for 24 hour races
    Gary Fisher Rig SS. Cheap rigid setup for mud
    Specialized Camber Expert Evo R
    Kona Private Jake for gravel and road days

Deviant
    My other bike is a KTM. Every once in awhile I need... Engine, and nothing beats 75 horsepower on a 300-pound rocket. Truth be told I actually enjoy my Yeti more simply for the brutal cardio workouts that mountain biking affords.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post
    My other bike is a KTM. Every once in awhile I need... Engine, and nothing beats 75 horsepower on a 300-pound rocket. Truth be told I actually enjoy my Yeti more simply for the brutal cardio workouts that mountain biking affords.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Bulldogging a TT350 down a 400m scree slope at 160bpm isn't easy either.
    I found a 5hr ride in the hills burned as many calories as 3hrs on the MTB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    OP, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I caught the SS bug 3 years ago and went all in for a while after building up a GF Rig on a small budget. For about 2 years I rode the SS 19 times out of 20 and my expensive Spec'd Camber Evo just sat there but this last season I started reaching for the FS a lot more for a couple reasons. First, the flexibility if a FS with gears lets me go on any trail. That's needed when exploring new trails. And second, all rides were an overall moderate pace so my fitness hit a plateau.

If you're serious about selling the FS look realistically at how much money you can get for it. I did this exercise and quickly realized I'd get pennies on the dollar and it's worth more to me to ride it than to take such a large loss.

For reference here's what's I ride...

Carver 420 SS for racing
    Carver 420 geared (soon to be replaced with ???). Also my backup bike for 24 hour races
    Gary Fisher Rig SS. Cheap rigid setup for mud
    Specialized Camber Expert Evo R
    Kona Private Jake for gravel and road days
    Funny enough itís the very fact of the price drop that is holding me back. Iím well aware of the immediate depreciation of bikes and being that I only have just over 100 miles on my Hightower and itís full of upgraded goodies, Iím just not ready to take that big of a loss although it will be more the longer I wait. I am going to hang onto it for a year so I donít end up buying an fs next year when I have the itch.

Keep the replies and posts coming, itís fun to see what everybody rides who also loves SS setups.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeg1999 View Post
    Funny enough itís the very fact of the price drop that is holding me back. Iím well aware of the immediate depreciation of bikes and being that I only have just over 100 miles on my Hightower and itís full of upgraded goodies, Iím just not ready to take that big of a loss although it will be more the longer I wait. I am going to hang onto it for a year so I donít end up buying an fs next year when I have the itch.

Keep the replies and posts coming, itís fun to see what everybody rides who also loves SS setups.
    On one hand, congrats on finding an experience you love.

I also have fallen hard for my ss and now only ride it. Kona raijin with 120mm fork and dropper. I went to bike demo day this year and in every case I was stoked whenever I got back on my bike. Can't believe I dislike the 8k wonder bikes but that's where I'm at for now. I have a carbon 26er full squish that is now boring as all get out, fortunately its fully depreciated so really no point selling it. Honestly you have a fs bike that many find desirable. No way will its value increase, it'll just become obsolete by parts, etch. You are totally fair to consider selling now, I totally agree you should. Not to mention the frothy economy won't last forever.

It might be someday you find another bike you love, you're definitely better off with an open slot in the garage and funds in the bank. Or you could turn into a long term bike monogamist?