What does you SS weigh?- Mtbr.com
    What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

What does you SS weigh?

I'm not a super hyped up weight-weenie and my SS comes in at 23 lbs.11oz.

Mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Under 21.5 lbs.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Niner

22.5 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member

Bontrager Ti Lite SS

Just finished building her up as a no-frills snow bike this weekend. 20.4# but still needs a star nut and top cap. Looking into larger volume tires as well.

HTFU and Ride

sick ride

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    22.5 lbs
    not bad AT ALL, considering fork and 29 inch wheels!

you must fly

✭✭✭

El Comandante 29er

21.3lbs as pictured.
    merely a flesh wound

You know, for kids
    28.0lbs with DH and AM components
    Last edited by madcap; 01-08-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    19.2lbs

Now less with the new stem, handlebar, pedals and cranks

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    got my surly 1x1 at 22.5 lbs....could prolly shave some more....but what's the point....it's a surly for crissake

but i am goin' loco.....turnin' my blinged out racer-x into a ss....24.5 lbs pre-conversion......gonna be 80mm of full squish racing wet-dreamy'ness...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Master of None
    Under 36 lbs... Beat that, suckers.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    Pedal Force MT that currently is 14.2 LBS

I had changed the Surly Singulator to the new carbon version after I took the first picture.

artistic...
    what's the point in weighing a bike? really.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    To find out what it weighs.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    not bad AT ALL, considering fork and 29 inch wheels!

you must fly
    Thanks man. I love that bike. I didn't think a steel niner would end up that low, but it did!
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    21.5 with heavy tires and tubes. Hoping to get to break 20 lbs soon.

L One9, Black Ops fork, Hope Pro-II/Stans Arch rims, juicy 5 brakes, XT cranks.

Got Mojo?
    My Spot weighed in at 19 lbs flat.

It is torn down to the frame and I will be disposing of it soon. I rebuilt my Ibis SS, it probably comes in at 21.5 lbs.

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by bdc88

i like your bike, i really do. but damn having a tensioner on it just wrecks it for me... but what do ya do? still amazingly light

my bianchi is about 21lbs, should be sub 20 come spring

mtbr member
    I was checking out this bike from a site sponsor (not spam, just fyi - I happened to click it). $534 delivered for a 22.3lb bike. That is a killer deal.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-SS-Details.html

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    @ cr45h

I would really love to get ride of my tensioner but even with a half link, I am still going to need one unless I change out the rear cog which I am not sure that I want to do.

I do agree that the tensioner ruins it a bit but if I can ever bring myself to changing it out and getting rid of the tensioner, this bike should be under 14 lbs for sure.

mtbr member
    @ cr45h

I would really love to get ride of my tensioner but even with a half link, I am still going to need one unless I change out the rear cog which I am not sure that I want to do.

I do agree that the tensioner ruins it a bit but if I can ever bring myself to changing it out and getting rid of the tensioner, this bike should be under 14 lbs for sure.
    Can you run the ENO rear hub? That's supposed to fix the issue you have.

conjoinicorned
    my race bike weighs less than my roadie...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member

I had changed the Surly Singulator to the new carbon version after I took the first picture.

Would the Mavic UST Tubless rim brake version be lighter???

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    @gticlay

I could run the Eno hub but at this time I just did not want to have the rear wheels rebuilt. Most of the parts on this build were left over parts from other builds. It is something to look at. I also have to spend some more time on the build as a half link 3/32 might work or at least work better. Maybe with a new rear cog and a half link, I can get rid of the tensioner but I honestly have not looked into it enough.

I need to find the chain length calculator again and see what I can do.

These rims are some old ones off of my S-Works FSR XC and they come in at 1430g for the pair so they are pretty light. The tires are Maxxis 310s and the tubes are lightweights so I am not sure if I would be able to save that much more weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My '88 GT Karakoram conversion weights about 26 pounds. Converting it dropped 6 pounds.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    what's the point in weighing a bike? really.
    Yeah, it doesn't really make sense.
    My bike was just as much fun before I knew it's weight.
    Maybe it's the way the media and the bike industry presents stuff; everything is quantified.
    I guess it's working.

mtbr member
    My bike weighs 200#.

That's with me on the scales too.

Cause that's HOW I RIDE IT! Me, frame, wheels, tools, water, tube, pump, co2...we all go together as one unit.

I think my roadie is 197 or 198....!
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

Single and loving it
    06 Monolith right at 18.5 lbs with new pedals

artistic...
    [QUOTE=SoulRider]06 Monolith right at 18.5 lbs with new pedals

beautifull...

That's gonna leave a mark
    12lbs15oz

11lbs3oz

10lbs12oz

9lbs4oz

Oh, and this boat anchor weighs in at 37lbs...
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Wow Chuck, I've never seen BS lighter that that.

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    12lbs15oz

11lbs3oz

10lbs12oz

9lbs4oz

Oh, and this boat anchor weighs in at 37lbs...

Why thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    Wow Chuck, I've never seen BS lighter that that.
    Fat fanatic.

artistic...
    Why thank you.
    you Chuck... where did you find that dirt drop stem on the red Fat? it has a long reach. it's what i need..

you Chuck... where did you find that dirt drop stem on the red Fat? it has a long reach. it's what i need..
    Haven't we been down this road before? Or am I having a case of dejavu? I could'a swore you asked me about it several months ago and suddenly lost interest.
    Anyhoo, it's a vintage Specialized stem. I'm in the process of hunting down a stem to replace it. I'm open to trade/sale...
    Fat fanatic.

artistic...
    Haven't we been down this road before? Or am I having a case of dejavu? I could'a swore you asked me about it several months ago and suddenly lost interest.
    Anyhoo, it's a vintage Specialized stem. I'm in the process of hunting down a stem to replace it. I'm open to trade/sale...
    it could be... how am i supposed to remember what i wrote sometime ago?
    what reach center to center? let's trade. another quill stem?

I'll measure it and get back to you. I'm leaving town tomorrow until Tuesday so it might be delayed...
    it could be... how am i supposed to remember what i wrote sometime ago?
    what reach center to center? let's trade. another quill stem?
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton
    My bike weighs 200#.

That's with me on the scales too.

Cause that's HOW I RIDE IT! Me, frame, wheels, tools, water, tube, pump, co2...we all go together as one unit.

I think my roadie is 197 or 198....!
    That is a great way to look at it, although that puts me at about 218 for my 2-9er...

I guess the easiest way for me to cut some weight then would be to take it from my waist, rather than spend another $500 -$1000 on new components.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Canoe
    My '88 GT Karakoram conversion weights about 26 pounds. Converting it dropped 6 pounds.
    the polka dotted one?kool i showed that to my wife...i wuz rite,she loved it! (not my way of sayin anythin bout genders and bikes,just that she loved it i did too BTW )

my monocog wuz around 23-ish lbs before adding the 100mm fork,but now i'm guessin 25-ish?don't know,i don't own any type of a scale
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

(slight return)
    Looks like I win this one. My monocog 29er is 28lbs on the bathroom scale. Honestly, I didn't even try to have it weigh that much and I still think I beat the nearest bike here by about 4 pounds. Yes, I rule!

-slide

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    As a past (and probably future!) Fat owner I love your pics and unbelievably light bikes Upchuck! I recently sold a NOS wicked frame and fork that was headed for an SS build, then bought and rode a Bontrager ti-lite for a while. I foolishly sold that bike, but luckily I stumbled onto a nice deal on this ratty Black Sheep. Its a work in progress, but far lighter than my ti-lite and it handles just as well if not better. Weight is around 19 lbs as pictured in SS trim with quiring rigid fork below. I have since added a moots ti post, a slightly lighter set of pedals, removed a weighty slime filled front tube, and I just ordered a middleburn RS7 Uno crankset for it tonight. Its not an SS specific frame and it normally runs a white ENO hub.

My second pic will probably draw flames, but don't go hating on me too bad as I was having bearing problems with my ENO hub and experimented with a parts bin 1x7 set-up for storming around the asphalt during lunch break at work.With 1.5 fatboys and an old RM17 rim (pretty light for its day), an Ngear Jumpstop, middle cage XT RD, and one lone XT thumbie, the Black Sheep still weighs about the same as in ss trim at 19lbs and change. I fixed my ENO recently so I will be headed back to SS trim again soon. This time around it will be in the 18lb range and still be durable enough to take a beating.

Last edited by N10S; 01-10-2008 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    As a past (and probably future!) Fat owner I love your pics and unbelievably light bikes Upchuck! I recently sold a NOS wicked frame and fork that was headed for an SS build, then bought and rode a Bontrager ti-lite for a while. I foolishly sold that bike, but luckily I stumbled onto a nice deal on this ratty Black Sheep. Its a work in progress, but far lighter than my ti-lite and it handles just as well if not better. Weight is around 19 lbs as pictured in SS trim with quiring rigid fork below. I have since added a moots ti post, a slightly lighter set of pedals, removed a weighty slime filled front tube, and I just ordered a middleburn RS7 Uno crankset for it tonight. Its not an SS specific frame and it normally runs a white ENO hub.

My second pic will probably draw flames, but don't go hating on me too bad as I was having bearing problems with my ENO hub and experimented with a parts bin 1x7 set-up for storming around the asphalt during lunch break at work.With 1.5 fatboys and an old RM17 rim (pretty light for its day), an Ngear Jumpstop, middle cage XT RD, and one lone XT thumbie, the Black Sheep still weighs about the same as in ss trim at 19lbs and change. I fixed my ENO recently so I will be headed back to SS trim again soon. This time around it will be in the 18lb range and still be durable enough to take a beating.

What the hell kinda siding is that on your double wide?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    See, ya show one pic with one shifter and mech and you get someone hating on your coleman pop-up (its a single wide btw). That Coleman is probably the best preserved camper around as it sees little use. If I keep buying parts for my bikes my wife is going to move me into it permanently though !

Like I said the shifter is coming off soon now that I have the ENO rebuilt.

N10S, that is one sexy bike! I love the raw Ti rear triangle. The seat and brake lever colors match it perfectly. How do you like the Ti post? It was a dramatic improvement with my 99 Yo Eddy SS. It's amazing what difference a Ti post can make. Of course it's different in your case since your frame is probably smoother on the chatter than my steel frame.

What color RS-7's are you going with? The satin finish on the silver cranks would go nicely with the rear triangle, but the black arms are sooo pretty. Are you sticking with the stock 'Burn ring, or aftermarket?
    Fat fanatic.

I've been trying to convince the wife we need a Coleman pop-up, but she keeps saying I have to let some steel ponies out of the stable to make room...I'll stay with the Kelly tent for now.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just make sure the pop-up has a bike rack on it and you have a nice new place to keep your extra bikes up and out of harms way. Nice and orderly without infringing on too much bike stable space!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Smile

N10S, that is one sexy bike! I love the raw Ti rear triangle. The seat and brake lever colors match it perfectly. How do you like the Ti post? It was a dramatic improvement with my 99 Yo Eddy SS. It's amazing what difference a Ti post can make. Of course it's different in your case since your frame is probably smoother on the chatter than my steel frame.

What color RS-7's are you going with? The satin finish on the silver cranks would go nicely with the rear triangle, but the black arms are sooo pretty. Are you sticking with the stock 'Burn ring, or aftermarket?
    Hey, thanks for the positive comments man! The ti frame was originally powder coated on the front triangle with the seat and chainstays left naked ti. Its not a bad look, but the powder coated finish is rough in a few places and I need to find out if it can be polished out, or if it will need re-finshed totally. Powder coating is pretty tough, but its also pretty tough to get scuffs out of as well. I may just leave it alone and let the bike wear its battle scars.

I just got the Moots post installed the other night and don't have a ride on it as of yet. My experiences in the past with ti-posts have all been pretty positive as far as improving ride quality. I love rigid bikes and for me the ti posts and bars take just enough sting out to make it perfect.

I started my order for the RS7's with silver arms and the hardcoat grey Middleburn uno ring. By the time I was done with my order I had changed-up to the black ano cranks with the hardcoat grey uno ring. I think the black and grey is going to look great, and I have heard nothing but good things about the perfornance of the Middleburn cranks. It looks like Boone has made some rings for the middleburn in the past so maybe I can source one once they become available again. They really add the finishing touch for sure. As far as the finish getting marred I just need to make sure I have my sharpie handy to make "repairs" !

mtbr member
    Dang! Upchick you fill your tires with helium or something? I have pot roast that weighs more than that. Crazy light- i might throw out my back trying to get any of your bikes on my roof rack- haha.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    sorry- *upchuck*
    They never made the "Slowster"

(was) Big in Japan
    more than a lemon and less than a baby hippopotamus.
    Ride.

The Boone Ti ring really finishes the Middleburn look nicely. Here's two that I have on my bikes:

Fat fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    sorry- *upchuck*
    No worries.
    I actually haven't put any of my SS bikes on a scale in a while. I'll have to see what they weigh in at, just for curiousity sake. It ain't gonna make me climb any faster or slower. Just wondering...
    Fat fanatic.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    So I was able to get rid of the tensioner to make sure that everyone was happy with the set up. I decided to just go down in the garage to see just how close it was to not needing a tensioner and I was going to order a 3/32 half link today. So when I went down to check it out, it was so close to not needed the half link that I decided to reduce the chain by just one link and try it out. It worked perfectly. So I took off the tensioner and went out for a 30 minute test ride to see how it worked. 100% no issues at all.

So with one link less and the tensioner going, the bike weighs in at 13.93 lbs. I have a few parts that should reduce the weight a bit more. I have some Ti bolts coming for the stem and I am just about to order some custom made carbon spacers for the cog. I also have to install my ESI grips. I am also thinking of changing out the chain to a KMS X10SL chain to drop a bit of weight there as well. All of these changes should allow me to get to around 13.75 I would hope but we will see.

Pedal Force MT SS - 13.93 lbs. on the scale this morning.

Members who have read this thread: 0