What does it take to go singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    Adobo Lover

What does it take to go singlespeed?

I've got an old GT Outpost. Can I go single speed with this? Initial cost? What do I need to convert it? thanks for your help in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I've got an old GT Outpost. Can I go single speed with this? Initial cost? What do I need to convert it? thanks for your help in advance.
    it can be as cheap as getting a DX/novatec cog from the LBS and some 1 1/4" pvc or old cassette spacers to space the cog out properly, use your existing r. derailler as a tensioner, shorten your chain & ditch a couple of the front rings... if you buy a SS kit (cog + spacers), that's about $20-25. You may or may not need a new chain as well (not necessary to get a singlespeed chain).

Ideally, you'd get a singlespeed ring up front (no ramps/pins), which'll help the chain from trying to jump off on occasion. If you don't want to use a tensioner, it's a bit more tricky, but you just might luck out and find a 'magic gear' for that bike.

Check out the FAQ at the top right for more info.
    welcome!
    S

Adobo Lover
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    check this, really helped me:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Nat
    mtbr member
    What does it take? It takes intestinal fortitude, commitment, heart, soul, chi, bravery...oh, you mean equipment. Allen wrenches and some spacers.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    If you want to do it the absolutely cheapest way possible: remove shifters and front derailleur. Select your gear from the cassette (i.e. the 16 tooth) shorten the chain so it is tight on the gear combo you want using the rear der as a tensioner. There you go, converted to singlespeed for free. Removal of the granny ring is optional, you do have to pull the cranks for this, so if you don't have a puller that would cost you money.

If you want to spend a few bucks, go with the novatec/shimano DX cog and PVC so you don't have the unused cogs on the cassette. And, since you are at it, spend 10 more and get yourself some short chainring bolts and get rid of the big ring you are not using. Or grind the big ring tooth and use it as a bashguard. Total cost, about 20 bucks.

Want to spend even more? get a fancy spacer kit, cos they look prettier, a tensioner instead of the deraileur and a singlespeed ring, cos they won't derail as much. And since you are at it, get a new 8spd chain, cos I say so. Total cost of this one, depending on how fancy you get with the tensioner, chainring and if you get a bashguard, about a hundred bucks, all said and new parts.

Want to get even fancier? oh, my! get a ENO eccentric hub, a ENO freewheel instead of using your old wheel. This one, with new ring and stuff will run you about three hundred bucks I guess. Depending on what rims you use on the new wheel, how much does it cost to buid it...

So, there you go, it will cost you from nothing to some three hundred bucks.

mtbr member
    "What does it take to singlespeed?" - lotsa beer.

mtbr member
    A busted rear derailleur, a multi-tool with a chain breaker and an aversion to walking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cheapest way - pick a gear and don't change it during the entire ride. That means you will have 21 single speeds, for absolutly no cost! Or you could read the FAQ, top right hand side of the page.!

Adobo Lover
    Thanks for the info fellas and the entertaining comments! I probably should have worded the title of the thread better. Boy did I walk into that one!!!!

mtbr member

what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK

Want to get even fancier? oh, my! get a ENO eccentric hub, a ENO freewheel instead of using your old wheel. This one, with new ring and stuff will run you about three hundred bucks I guess. Depending on what rims you use on the new wheel, how much does it cost to buid it...

So, there you go, it will cost you from nothing to some three hundred bucks.
    ENOit. I made ENO a verb. Yes, a verb. ENO is the shizmit badizzle with whizzle.

I have ENO on my Surly Pacer. Fixie or a la mode freewheel. Either way, it works wonders and gives my bike much needed chest hair.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    Cheapest way - pick a gear and don't change it during the entire ride. That means you will have 21 single speeds, for absolutly no cost! Or you could read the FAQ, top right hand side of the page.!
    couldnt have said it better myself!
    I am CHEAP

34x28x34x33x20
    Oct 2005
    I've been called lots of things, but never a "fella" *-) Cheers.
    "Let the world change and you change the world" Che Guevara

Members who have read this thread: 0