what does this mean? (chain tension)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

what does this mean? (chain tension)

my chain tension varies greatly as I spin my cranks around. the wheel is centered. the tension goes from perfect to quite tight. my drivetrain is essentially new (ACS, Surly, PC-69, Eno).

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    my chain tension varies greatly as I spin my cranks around. the wheel is centered. the tension goes from perfect to quite tight. my drivetrain is essentially new (ACS, Surly, PC-69, Eno).
    chainrings are not always perfectly round. untension the chain and retension based on the worst case scenario.

i have heard (frequently but never seen) of late that ACS Claws fw's have been out of round as well...that could be the culprit.

if the new tension is too loose you are going to have to try a new ring or fw. too much tension will play havoc with your drivetrain, bb and wheel bearings.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    you know, I think you're right. it appears the ACS is the issue. I can hear/feel the tension back there when it binds up. I put a new ACS and Eno ring on at the same time, never thought one would be bad from the get go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So it's a single ENO ring? That should be OK. Sometimes you need to centre the chainring on the spider if you're using a crank with spider and separate ring. I've got an ENO ring and WI freewheel and it's just about perfect.

mtbr member
    My ACS freewheel was out of round and responsible for such a variation in tension. In fact, it was hard to believe just how much the tension varied!

I bought a White Industries freewheel from misfitpsycles and now the problem is virtually gone. I say virtually because there is still a very, very minor and acceptable change in tension (probably from a non perfect ring).
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    ACS freewheels are notoriously out of round. it's amazing how much deviation they can pack into such a small space! get an ENO, you'll never go back... crank spiders are sometimes milled slightly off center, chainrings can occasionally be a bit lumpy, but far and away the biggest offender that i've seen is the ubiquitious ACS freewheel.

i'll say it again, ENO...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yeah sounds like mine! there is a huge variance in the tension. I think I managed to get it in a sweet spot where it's not too loose and the cranks will spin freely enough. now that I know what gear I like it's probably time for the Eno FW.

Members who have read this thread: 0