What do u carry?- Mtbr.com
    Rollin' a fatty Moderator

New question here. What do u carry?

Last night I was doing an urban ride alone and only took the cell phone with me. Guess what? Doing a climb my chain broke and I was stranded about 10 miles from home.

Another cyclist offered a chain tool but I couldn't use it because didn't had extra links with me. I had to call my wife and she eventually picked me up and this brings me to my original question.

What do you SSpeeders carry on urban or trail rides? I usually don't carry anything but after last night a multitool w chain tool and at least a couple of links will go with me from now on.

mtbr member
    Extra links...Hmmm...THANKS!

I am new to single speeding. In fact I am still waiting on parts to finish mine. However, I would have never thought to take extra links with me on an epic backwoods ride...until my chain broke that is.

uncompliant

Whatever's in the camelbak....

...nearly always comes with me, wherever. This usually means far too much stuff:

3 tubes (+ or - one or two depending on how up-to-date I am on patching)
    emergency blanket
    Multi tool (does everything)
    Multi hex key set (because it's easier to use)
    Spokey
    Tyre levers
    Patch kit
    Zip ties (2 sizes)
    Spare links to fit 3 chain sizes (ss, 8sp, 9sp - just in case)
    An old toestrap
    Some change (taped together in a bundle)
    A squished Powerbar
    Pump

It just seems easier to leave it all in the bag than worry that I've left something out!

I can probably add the hip flask my wife got me for my birthday to that too :-)

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Last night I was doing an urban ride alone and only took the cell phone with me. Guess what? Doing a climb my chain broke and I was stranded about 10 miles from home.

Another cyclist offered a chain tool but I couldn't use it because didn't had extra links with me. I had to call my wife and she eventually picked me up and this brings me to my original question.

What do you SSpeeders carry on urban or trail rides? I usually don't carry anything but after last night a multitool w chain tool and at least a couple of links will go with me from now on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I should learn from you...

I should take your advice and that of my friends, but I have never carried anything on the trail. It seems that the more you take, the more you need what you have in your bag! As my buddy seems to flat everytime we put a new tube in his bag I am a bad example I guess, but I wouldn't ride alone without some supplies.

Ride tonight at Fort Custer for all of you Michigan folk that may be interested.
    "Take it easy, if it's easy...take it again"

Portable curmudgeon

pretty much the same stuff...

...that JonathanB carries, plus a bottle opener and a handcuff key.

Bike down

mtbr member
    A cell phone
    Water
    A fix it all tool
    Patches
    Tire tool
    Duct tape "Just like 2 feet"
    Power bars
    Pump

Thats about it, cell phones the most important. "Ya I know, Flame on"

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Enough to rebuild you and yours on the trail (two tubes and seven patch-kits and whatnot), but I tend to pack light on "creative commutes" and the like. I usually carry enough crap on the trail that I can fix a gearie, cuz' you never know who'll need a hand.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S&W 38 Airlight

For protection from unruly drivers.

Reviewer/Tester
    Spare tube and patchkit, swiss army knife, chainbreaker, spare links, packet of nuts and raisins[mixed], pump, co2 and spare cartridge, lock and cable, bandaids, light waterproof jacket, cellphone, small allen key set, electrical tape, litre of water in bladder of camelbak.

It all stays in my camelbak blowfish permanently. Sometimes I add a couple of apples or oranges on a longer haul.

R.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! beer.

sure, there's a bunch of stuff to fix bikes and people in my ultimate epic pack, but the most important is beer. that way i've got something to drink while i wait for someone else to fix my bike for me.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm What I carry

Two tubes
    Traditional patch kit
    Instant patches
    Mini pump
    Park folding allen wrench set
    Kool Stop tire levers
    Surly Jethro Tule
    Park mini chain brute
    Sachs 8 speed links
    Shimano XTR links
    Shimano XTR chain pins
    Knife
    Park black spoke wrench
    The orange I didn't eat a month ago
    Candy bars for me
    Doggie energy bars for the doggie
    A few bucks in case there's a hot dog or Italian ice stand on the trail somewhere

I keep needing to remember to put duct tape in my kit
    Last edited by Bikehigh; 05-05-2004 at 04:13 PM.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Wow, I pack really light.

If it's a local off-road ride this all goes in a jersey pocket:
    Crank Bros tool w/ chain breaker
    CO2 inflater w/ extra cartridge
    glue-less patches - for inside the tire (tubeless w/ Stan's)
    one or two water bottles
    Maybe a cell phone

Off-road ride "out there"
    Camelbak w/
    Crank Bros too w/ chain breaker
    CO2 inflater w/ extra cartridge
    glue-less patches - for inside the tire (tubeless w/ Stan's)
    2 tubes
    mini-pump
    9-speed chain pin
    Clif bar or two w/ a couple of Clif Shots
    peanut butter sandwich if it's a really long ride
    spare brake and shift cables - tandem length
    cell phone
    spare derailleur hanger if I am on a gearie

Road rides:
    2 water bottles
    frame pump
    in the jersey go:
    small Crank Bros tool
    2 tubes
    patches
    CO2 inflater

mtbr member
    Absolutley a couple links. I also carry an extra powerlink and some extra nuts and bolts (especially after I lost all four chain ring bolts on my last ride). In addition, CO2, an tube, tire lever, and 35cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My minimal trail kit is a couple of links, a chain tool, an ultralight innertube (saves pack space) and a tiny tiny mini-pump. I hate wearing camelbacks, and I don't like feeling too weighed down by stuff in my jersey pockets. I hardly ever carry anything more than that unless I think the weather might get bad when I'm miles and miles into the mountains.
    --- FeelsGood

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm A lot of stuff!!!!

Dirt,

I am lucky I have helped more people than I've had failures. People I have helped range from newbies to pros to my wife. She is always impressed to see how much crap I carry in my camelbak. Dude, you need to pack a camelbak and get rid of the bottle. What looks cooler? Fixing your bike on the side or the wife picking you up?
    Here is the load:
    Permanent in the Mule:
    Spare tube
    Park tool patch kit
    Allen tool set
    Tire levers
    Swiss knife
    chain tool
    Two extra links
    Air pump
    Sneakers bar - for 30 mile+ rides
    chain lube

Depending on where I ride:
    cell phone if there is a signal and if I am going to try North Shore stunts by myself, otherwise [email protected]#% cell phones. I just got the motorola v400

The more crap you carry the higher the confidence. Now I wouldn't want to be stranded in the dangerous streets of PR. Watch out for "Tony bicycle" (Famous Puerto Rican serial killer). You know who I'm talking about........

Park tool patch kit
    Sit and spin my ass...

blame me for missed rides
    water, 1 patch kit, 1 pump (yeah being environmentally friendly and all that), 1 crank bros minitool, 2 tire levers, 1 peanut butter scoop/15mm socket wrench, 1 pr of spare powerlink (go sram), 3 1/2 spare chain links, unknown number of band aid, unknown number of ibuprofen, 1 watch, 1 packet of mess that used to be a (expired) powerbar, 1 credit card, $5, 1 keycard, buncha keys.
    Last edited by weather; 05-05-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Seaside stand up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Now I wouldn't want to be stranded in the dangerous streets of PR. Watch out for "Tony bicycle" (Famous Puerto Rican serial killer). You know who I'm talking about........

Yo Zion, what do you know about P.R. Are you Boriqueno?
    antonio

"The Dude abides."

same as everyone

3 tire levers
    4,5,6 allens
    promotional cliff bar multitool with a cumpass that is distorted by the metal parts of the tool (its worthless except as a knife)
    a universal socket tool
    water
    pump
    2 tubes
    powebar
    cloth handelbar tape
    and a pound of heroine for when i get hungry
    - sam

SS Madness

Geez...you guys ride on Mars?

I have a water bottle and maybe a pack of Goo in my pant leg if the ride is gonna be long. Otherwise, I trust my steed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

didn't see anybody carrying this for broken chains.....

I carry a spoke folded in 3. I use it as a "third hand" to hold the ends of the chain close together while I try to repair it. Just open the folded spoke into a U shape and insert each end of the spoke near the ends of the chain.

mtbr member

lots of stuff

i like to use a camelbak and in there I have a patch kit, crank bros multi tool and pump, master keyed lock and cable, tire levers, chain breaker, extra links for a sram48, safety pins, wallet, cell, bottle opener. hope this might help

scott

Steamroller

Body patches

Don't you guys crash? I only see one mention of band-aids. I carry a very small first aid kit plus a couple Bactine wipes and one or two large wound dressings for the big scrapes. I got into the first aid supplies twice last Saturday and had not restocked when I needed some tonight. I hate getting scabs on my scabs !!

Oh, I carry all the other stuff as most of you too.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

ballbuster

I got a full on med kit

I got a hiker's med kit at REi wtih the intention of thinning it out. I spread it all out on the table, and the stuff I thought I would never use turned out to weigh nothing and take up little room, so I left it in.

In addition to the common stuff here, I carry:

an emergency whistle
    25' of 350lb test rope that is the diameter of spaghetti
    Chamois Butt-er singles
    a few links of chain and a powerlink
    Swiss army knife
    Space Blanket ... helps keep those with serious injuries from going into shock.
    3' of duct tape wrapped around a tire pump (which is down to 1'... needs a refill)
    Chain lube, when I get chain suck. I can start leaving this at the car now that the weather is good.
    a tiny crescent wrench for straightening rotors
    two innertubes, one with a jingle bell in it for the wankers who refuse to ride prepared.

Thanks for the suggestions, I already have some of the stuff on my mule but usually take it on long rides only, for urban and short trailsI usually take a bottle and the cell phone. From now on the bottle cages are out and the mule is in.

Zion, Tony Bicycle is long gone now but thanks for caring. The PR roads are full of dangerous drivers and have had several close calls already with drivers (specially female drives) but that's another topic for discussion.

Any other boricuas here?

Out spokin'

Ultimate Epic roolz

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    sure, there's a bunch of stuff to fix bikes and people in my ultimate epic pack, but the most important is beer. that way i've got something to drink while i wait for someone else to fix my bike for me.
    Ultimate Epic -- the best bladder pack out there, IMO. Paul Thomasberg turned me onto the UE back about four years ago.

But I don't keep my tools in mine. I cut the top off one waterbottle and the bottom off another. Then I "telescope" the two hacked bottles together with my tools & spare tube inside. This "tool bottle" stays in a bottle cage on the bike so that I've got that stuff with me at all times, regardless of whether I carry my pack. My mini pump stays on the bike, too, in the clips that fasten under the bottle cage.

As for a space blanket and first aid kit, those go in my bladder pack, as I'm not likely to need them unless I'm out all day (most of my boo boos happen after I've gotten fatigued near the end of an epic ride). I'll always have my Epic along for those types of rides.

I never offer my tools to others who don't bother to bring their own. I make them beg.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Good job! Of course Baby!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djkellycx
    Yo Zion, what do you know about P.R. Are you Boriqueno?
    Yo soy de Rio Piedras, boricua 50% spanish 50%

I live in Indianapolis, and my wife is a Gringa (Irish), so that makes my 3 month daughter 25% Boricua.

I lived in PR till I was 17. Then went to Purdue University and have lived in US ever since.

USA rocks!!!!!! , but the island is pretty kick ass too.

Jah live!
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Don't crash!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Don't you guys crash? I only see one mention of band-aids. I carry a very small first aid kit plus a couple Bactine wipes and one or two large wound dressings for the big scrapes. I got into the first aid supplies twice last Saturday and had not restocked when I needed some tonight. I hate getting scabs on my scabs !!

Dude, just don't crash..........
    Sit and spin my ass...

The name's Norm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman

On my epics, I too carry a small first aid kit in my blowfish. I've been lucky enough to use it on 2 others and not myself; knock on wood!!

mtbr member

Whoah, me too.

Me too about the chain breaking on last night's ride that is.

I didn't have extra links but was able to remove one and have enough room in my dropouts to still hook the chain back up. Had to readjust my brakes though...

If by "urban" you mean riding to the grocery store, I usually ride my fixie. I have a multitool, spare tube and CO2 pump with a couple spare cartridges that lives in my messenger bag along with my cell phone, wallet etc. On, off-road rides on my SS I have pretty much the same stuff in my camelbak, with the addition of some trail food (clif bar(s) or whatever), a patch kit, and about $10 or $15 cash. I don't usually bother with the cell phone off-road, and after last night I'm gonna be adding some extra chain links to my arsenal.

-Trevor
    Last edited by TrevorInSoCal; 05-06-2004 at 07:40 PM. Reason: forgot about the patch kit

Yo soy de San Juan, my great great grand parents (from both sides of the family) were from Spain. What does that makes me, Spaniard or 100% Boricua?

Cracker-magnon
    that way i've got something to drink while i wait for someone else to fix my bike for me.
    Remind me never to fix your bike....unless you got an extra one that I can down while I work.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Steamroller

Easier said than done

Dude, just don't crash..........
    It's like when I used to work construction, If you don't bleed you're slackin.
    The photo is from my most recent ride, Weds. night, I did not have any body patches because I had used them up on myself and others last Sat. I don't usually have two crashes in one week, but I had two really good rides. The other bad photo is of the rest of the junk I carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

I don't understand the whole bandaid thing. You actually stop to put on a bandaid in the middle of a ride? Why? The blood stops all by itself doesn't it? That picture is the way a mountainbiker is supposed to look. Well, you should have blood running rown at least of your arms too!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! i bought it on your recco.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Ultimate Epic -- the best bladder pack out there, IMO. Paul Thomasberg turned me onto the UE back about four years ago.
    --Sparty
    few years ago you and shiggy chimed in on a thread about packs. i like it very much; way better than my old camel bak brands.

i had an accident with it while getting ready to ride this morning; i was "burping" the air out of the bladder while holding the same upside down, and the foldover flap wasn't shut all the way. when i squeezed the bladder to get the air out through the drinking hose, the water blew out the bottom (top?) of the bladder and all over my kitchen.

the only think i didn't like about the pack was the ultimate brand hose. i replaced it with a camel bak hose.

so, thanks!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

you got it, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Remind me never to fix your bike....unless you got an extra one that I can down while I work.
    i find the extra weight in the pack to be 1) beneficial to strength training and 2) worthwhile because it's beer!

mtbr member

Good job! I think you are 100% Boricua

Yo soy de San Juan, my great great grand parents (from both sides of the family) were from Spain. What does that makes me, Spaniard or 100% Boricua?
    Vic,
    It really does not matter. What matters is that you are an MTB brother and a SS rider.

Climb on your SS to Mount Zion and chant down Babylon!
    Sit and spin my ass...

Out spokin'

Yo wecome!

few years ago you and shiggy chimed in on a thread about packs. i like it very much; way better than my old camel bak brands.

i had an accident with it while getting ready to ride this morning; i was "burping" the air out of the bladder while holding the same upside down, and the foldover flap wasn't shut all the way. when i squeezed the bladder to get the air out through the drinking hose, the water blew out the bottom (top?) of the bladder and all over my kitchen.

the only think i didn't like about the pack was the ultimate brand hose. i replaced it with a camel bak hose.

so, thanks!
    I didn't like the Ultimate brand bladder or bite valve myself, so personally I use Platypus brand bladders and Camelbak brand (90į/shutoff) bite valves.

But the pack itself rocks, eh! Got rid of my backaches.

Gladja like it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Seaside stand up!
    Vic,
    It really does not matter. What matters is that you are an MTB brother and a SS rider.

Climb on your SS to Mount Zion and chant down Babylon!
    Couldn't have said it better.... Being human and having compassion matter most to me, but I'm most definitely an un-apologetic Puerto Rican. Negrito, spanish, boriqueno, thats what makes a PR...We have T-shirts that sell out every "Dia De San Juan" with that theme on the front. S.S.P.R's wow!! God bless you two and all other riders, SS and otherwise..
    antonio

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Antonio, I want a SSPR's shirt!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better.... Being human and having compassion matter most to me, but I'm most definitely an un-apologetic Puerto Rican. Negrito, spanish, boriqueno, thats what makes a PR...We have T-shirts that sell out every "Dia De San Juan" with that theme on the front. S.S.P.R's wow!! God bless you two and all other riders, SS and otherwise..
    How can I buy you one? Where do you live?
    Sit and spin my ass...

I fix choppers

Cool-blue Rhythm Here is the list...

of what is always in my Vaude Splash-25 pack
    • a Park 3-way(4/5/6)

• spare tube

• Spanner for the S&S couplers on my Spot

• Hemostat

• Bottle opener

• Trek multi tool

• Brave Soldier Crash Pak + Ace bandage, 3-0 suture, syringe, 30g needle, and anesthetic

• 4-6 hard candies

• curved needle-nose mini vice-grip

• 8mm L allen wrench

• Crank Bros power pump

• 3-4 CO2 cartridges+inflater

• 5$ in bills and quarters

• patch kit

• compass

• razor blade

• mini flat and allen screw drivers

• Pedro's tire levers

• park chain tool+spare links

• sharpie marker

• 6+ zip-ties

• mini-mag light

• bic lighter

• mini tube of chainlube

• 4-way spoke wrench

• mini roll of duct tape

I always have something to eat (bars, oatmeal pies, etc.) my mobile phone, and my 100 oz water bladder filled too. I hate getting mechanicals, but I hate not being able to fix them even more.

mtbr member

It had to happen eventually

somebody actually posted a picture of their own a$$.

Antonio, r u still living in PR or in the US like Zion?

Seaside stand up!
    Sorry for the confusion Zion, the T-shirt in question has 3 faces on it. One is of a native indian of P.R., one is of a slave that was brought to the island and one is of a spanish conquistador. PR content but not single speed. My wow was in reference to discovering other S.S.P.R's. My cycling buddies always tease me, telling me I'm the token minority!
    Dirt Devil, I live in Northern California, the Monterey Bay area. Born in the Bronx but Popi was military, so we ended up here. Can't complain, the cycling community is strong here, lots of SS, lots of cyclocross, just lots of cyclists period. Very cool place.
    antonio

mtbr member

Smile Token Minority????

Sorry for the confusion Zion, the T-shirt in question has 3 faces on it. One is of a native indian of P.R., one is of a slave that was brought to the island and one is of a spanish conquistador. PR content but not single speed. My wow was in reference to discovering other S.S.P.R's. My cycling buddies always tease me, telling me I'm the token minority!
    Dirt Devil, I live in Northern California, the Monterey Bay area. Born in the Bronx but Popi was military, so we ended up here. Can't complain, the cycling community is strong here, lots of SS, lots of cyclocross, just lots of cyclists period. Very cool place.
    Well, as far as cycling goes, hispanics are not necesarily a minority. African Americans still are. I mean AFRICAN AMERICANS, not africans, jamaicans, english, not black hispanics.

I have never ever seen an african american on a trail. The only black person I have seen is my natty dread friend from south africa (rides an intense).

As far as Montain Biking and specifically SS, there is only one race. We are all brothers and sisters. We are all one, unity, one strong force, one speed.

PS - you don't have to have dreads to be a RASTA.

Jah bless,
    Zion
    Sit and spin my ass...

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Is it OK not to be dreader than dread? I guess what I'm asking is does being dread make a person superior to one who is not? Not trying to be a wiseguy, but I know nothing about the culture, and am not gonna pretend that I do.

Just as an FYI, I retired my 5 year old Blackburn Hydrapak yesterday when I put my new Camelback Mule to use for the first time. I gotta say, that even though I'm not toltally thrilled with the design, the fit and comfort of the pack is tremendous, and the bladder and bite valve are the best I've used.

mtbr member

Being a good Human makes you superior.......

Some quotes : First from His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I

"As we do not practice of permit discrimination within our nation, so we oppose it wherever it is found. As we guarantee to each the right to worship as he chooses so we denounce the policy which sets man against man on issues of religion. As we extend the hand of universal brotherhood to all, without regard to race or color, so we condemn any social or political order which distinguishes among God's children on this most specious of grounds."

Second from Bob Marley

"Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all"
    "Until the white man stop calling himself white and the black man stop calling himself black, we will not see it. All the people on the earth are just one family, and so my music defends righteousness. If youíre black and you're wrong, you're wrong; if you're white and you're wrong, you're wrong; if you're Indian and you're wrong, you're wrong. It's universal."

I do not have any dreadlocks, in fact I have short blond hair. My dreads are in my heart.
    I am not a religious person, but rastafarianism is my favorite religion. I do not smoke pot.
    I love their Culture and have visited Jamaica many times and spent time and talked to real Rastas.
    Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Is it OK not to be dreader than dread? I guess what I'm asking is does being dread make a person superior to one who is not? Not trying to be a wiseguy, but I know nothing about the culture, and am not gonna pretend that I do.

Just as an FYI, I retired my 5 year old Blackburn Hydrapak yesterday when I put my new Camelback Mule to use for the first time. I gotta say, that even though I'm not toltally thrilled with the design, the fit and comfort of the pack is tremendous, and the bladder and bite valve are the best I've used.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Seaside stand up!
    Well, as far as cycling goes, hispanics are not necesarily a minority. African Americans still are. I mean AFRICAN AMERICANS, not africans, jamaicans, english, not black hispanics.

I have never ever seen an african american on a trail. The only black person I have seen is my natty dread friend from south africa (rides an intense).
    I agree. As a "Black Hispanic" I rarely see someone of my skin tone on mtb trails. One Saturday at Soquel Demo I parked next to an african american while he was getting ready to go riding with his (white) friends. They all came over to his car as he was parked next to where they where starting from and once they saw me AND him you could see they thought they just saw a four leaf clover!!! 2 brothers on mtb's!!!! I smiled and said hello to everyone and we made some small talk. On the road I see more, in cyclocross I have seen a few but rarely beginners. Mostly guys who where already pretty strong. That troubles me. Cycling has a sometimes deserved rep as elitist.. Wear your mtb helmet with a visor on a road ride and people will look at you funny. For a newbie of any nationality breaking in can seem almost impossible. I have never seen a black woman on the road or on the mtb trails. That is a crime that keeps commiting. They are gorgeous..
    antonio

mtbr member

I carry...

some matches, a hand puppet, the latest copy of Playboy, bubble gum, a cock-ring, and a paper bag...wait, that's my "Going out with the Guys" kit.

If I go on an extended gnome catching HBFK ride I carry:

Crank Bros multitool
    2 Toobs
    Blackburn pump
    2 CO2s and the inflator
    patch kit
    extra chain links
    2 tire levers
    mimi 1st aid kit
    space blanket
    2 GU (plain)
    an LED headlamp
    matches in a ziplock
    and lots of water. 2 bladders full in the Fox backpack, and two water bottles on the bike

If I ride the fixie:
    Crank Bros multitool
    2 Toobs
    Blackburn pump
    2 CO2s and the inflator
    patch kit
    extra chain links
    2 tire levers
    2 GU (plain)
    and two water bottles on the bike
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 05-10-2004 at 06:38 AM. Reason: I forgot something...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Water
    Hammer Gel
    tube
    patch kit
    pump or CO2
    Multi tool
    Tire levers
    compass
    3 bandaids
    Rain jacket
    and
    Bear spray

mtbr member
    May 2004

Smile A friend

I always ride with a well prepared friend.

well educated dolt
    Jan 2004

Comes with some multitools

Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    I carry a spoke folded in 3. I use it as a "third hand" to hold the ends of the chain close together while I try to repair it. Just open the folded spoke into a U shape and insert each end of the spoke near the ends of the chain.
    Actually some multitools like my trusty Topeak Hummer come with a small piece of metal wire for just that reason. I think they call it a chain hook.

My list
    topeak hummer
    Spare tube
    pump
    a few spare chain links
    cloth tape (never know when you need to tape something)
    a couple of extra tire levers
    small patch kit
    (I have used all of these many times on the trail)

a shock pump (if it is a solo night ride)
    CO2 if on a fast group ride so i don't slow them down
    Extra light if on a solo night ride
    cell phone when solo
    (have only needed the backup light out of these tools)

-Joe
    Last edited by Joeman; 05-10-2004 at 04:08 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Man, I know it's better safe than sorry, but it sounds like some of you guys need to blow off the Camelbak and just go for a BOB trailer.

1 tube w/ empty gel packet incase of sidewall tear
    1 Big-Air
    Crank Bros 14, or 18 or what ever it is
    2-3 gel packets, 1 Clif
    1, maybe 2 large h2o bottles, 3rd if going long
    chain pins
    cellie
    $5, or CC
    IDENTIFICATION!!!! If it's bad enough for soe of you guys to be packing emerg thermal/heater blankets, why not take your ID too?
    Last edited by brewdog; 05-10-2004 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm I almost cried when I read your reply

Quote Originally Posted by travistheone
    Regarding question of being dreader then dread, it is just the same really. My take on rastafarianism is the way to tell what you beleive in, is simply who you pray to, and when you think "faith" in your head what comes to mind? JAH!

i am a deeply faithful person although i have no dreads, dont look african, dont smoke ganja, or eat a super strict i-tal diet. I pray Jah Rastafari.

travis
    I and I say, you are blessed my friend. I thought I was alone in this world total religious confusion.

Are you feeling IRIE?
    Zion
    Sit and spin my ass...

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

But I don't keep my tools in mine. I cut the top off one waterbottle and the bottom off another. Then I "telescope" the two hacked bottles together with my tools & spare tube inside. This "tool bottle" stays in a bottle cage on the bike so that I've got that stuff with me at all times, regardless of whether I carry my pack. My mini pump stays on the bike, too, in the clips that fasten under the bottle cage.

As for a space blanket and first aid kit, those go in my bladder pack, as I'm not likely to need them unless I'm out all day (most of my boo boos happen after I've gotten fatigued near the end of an epic ride). I'll always have my Epic along for those types of rides.

I never offer my tools to others who don't bother to bring their own. I make them beg.

--Sparty

Paul Thomasberg..... same guy from the old specialized days?