What do think of this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What do think of this?

I was wondering if it would be possible, or if it has been done before, to make a left hand drive bike. I did manage to find a singlespeed cog wheel that clicks the opposite way so it is 'left-hand' drive. From there, I didn't see any other obstacles to overcome to achieve this left hand drive bike. Does anybody else have any other ideas on things I would have to re-think or re-work to make this work?

thanks!
    War is Over........If you want it.

blame me for missed rides
    been done many times before. the only other obstacle is the pedal thread, which needs to be reversed. there are tandem cranks that have the desired thread direction.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    weather nailed it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Uh......

Quote Originally Posted by spudy
    I was wondering if it would be possible, or if it has been done before, to make a left hand drive bike. I did manage to find a singlespeed cog wheel that clicks the opposite way so it is 'left-hand' drive. From there, I didn't see any other obstacles to overcome to achieve this left hand drive bike. Does anybody else have any other ideas on things I would have to re-think or re-work to make this work?

thanks!
    Is there a reason? (besides just being different)

34N 118W
    more & more BMXers doing it so they can grind on the right side and not on the drivetrain. Check into BMX joints like Danscomp.

Sugino makes a left side crank arm with a spider and proper pedal threads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    Is there a reason? (besides just being different)

My actual, BIG, idea is to build a cannondale single speed (left hand drive) with a lefty fork on it. Then I'd have a true lefty lefty. As far as reason? There is none, besides the ultimate cool factor, and it'd be a fun project to work on.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Profile (and profile type) cranks have been available in left hand drive for years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I was searching today for hubs to put this left drive freewheel on, and I have another question:

What type of single speed hub would I want to put this on?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

two words

Quote Originally Posted by spudy

thanks!
    FIXED COG. One of the other fixed SSers at one of the cross races this year was going left side drive on his old fixie converted french SS cross/old road/touring bike. I think he did it cause he liked to dismout to the wrong side, and shoulder that way also.
    Also since you have a cannondale with a lefty you would probably need to fix it since you wouldn't be able to run a rear break if you went to left side drive.

Members who have read this thread: 0