What to do with a DT Swiss 240 SS hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What to do with a DT Swiss 240 SS hub

I have a DT Swiss 240 SS hub that I do not have use for it since around home there is no way to use a SS bike (to hilly) since is almost impossible to find a ring / cog combination to suit the place. I would like to know if there is a way to use it in a gear configuration.
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Midle Age Warrior
    I have a DT Swiss 240 SS hub that I do not have use for it since around home there is no way to use a SS bike (to hilly) since is almost impossible to find a ring / cog combination to suit the place. I would like to know if there is a way to use it in a gear configuration.
    You can fit five or six cogs on the freehub body.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Hammertime!

You could buy Hammerschmidt, Go 2 x 1 with normal crankset, or eat more Wheaties. I live in Norcal and ride ss on most days now-but some trails are just not as much fun without gears(GT Carbon Marathon Pro gets VERY dusty with ss addiction but has it's place to be sure). Where do live that is so punishing? Or are you 80?

Out spokin'

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie
    ... Or are you 80?
    Show a little respect for 80. If you're lucky, you'll get there someday. If you're even luckier, you'll still be riding a mountain bike when you arrive. Meanwhile nobody close to 80 wants some punk to come along an imply there's something wrong with being that age.

--sParty

P.S. Yeah, I'm closin' in on 80 myself, and it's a little scary. How 'bout some support.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Midle Age Warrior
    Sell it to me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    asking what to do with a single speed hub... in the single speed forum?
    answer's obvious, lace it up and ride it single speed...
    but yes, you can totally fit the granny gear cluster off a 9 speed cogset on that freehub body.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    O.K guys do not get me wrong, first CB2 thanks for the info and no I am not 80 yet and as Sparticus said I hope to get there. I am almost 50 and since I do not live in the states so, I can not sell it to you Srive (btw how much could you ask in the state for this hub ??) and finally for hoolie y byknuts, yes I already try the SS twice but sadly I have not pics of my backyard trails, but I just could not find the way to ride one of my everyday hill I used to climb whit a 24.35 gear inches at heart rate of 175 bpm and then go flat and keep with the pack.
    Thanks you all I just want to find an use for one of my most exotic and expensive pice of gear.
    I will try the 5 speed trick
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This thread shows what I did--still very happy with it:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=516619

6 speed wide-ratio (as I did it) is a ton more work and gives slightly worse shifting than just using a 5spd CS-M770 XT spider. Only drawback of XT is you loose your top-end gears.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Eating Crow

Sorry. Yes I hope to be closing in on 80 too someday. Cool you are riding! 42 is actually scary enough. I really think the 240 hub is cool. I called DT Swiss rep a few months ago as I am BATTLING a problem with x1800 rear hub and he said 240 could be rebuilt every so often with almost no tools and is better sealed than my x 1800. I would sell and buy what you can use. How could you beat biking with the kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Show a little respect for 80. If you're lucky, you'll get there someday. If you're even luckier, you'll still be riding a mountain bike when you arrive. Meanwhile nobody close to 80 wants some punk to come along an imply there's something wrong with being that age.

--sParty

P.S. Yeah, I'm closin' in on 80 myself, and it's a little scary. How 'bout some support.
    You're the man. Live forever and forever have fun!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie
    ... Cool you are riding! ...
    Actually I'm "'only" 57. But the way time flies these days it feels like 80 will get here in no time. Anyway I was half kiddin', half not. I used to think I'd live forever. Also never thought I'd get old.

Keep having fun,
    sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0