What is the deal with these people on singlespeeds?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    born to chill

What is the deal with these people on singlespeeds?

I say this, and I ride a singlespeed mtb, but WTF is the deal with the trend lately for hunting down some obscure Itallian road frame to convert to a singlespeed in some sort of quasi-MTB/road bike configuration? They typically look like the kinda guys that would be driving some eco-friendly car and hanging out at starbucks... Just curious what started that trend is all.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Masher
    /end thread

mtbr member
    What do you mean "These People"?
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    If you have to ask you'll never understand why..

Out spokin'
    They like bikes?

They're just like us?

They ARE us?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Old lugged bikes are cool looking for starters. Why not get something different than look light everyone else.

I think anything looks better than your traditional mountain biker.
    Spandex bike shorts with some ridiculous loud lycra jersey and some smith sliders looks so bad!!!
    If that is how they want to dress than.....cool with me, just not for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    trend!?
    fixie riders have been bimbling about since the 80's...
    hardly a trend!

blame kevin bacon for his fixie stunting in quicksilver and call me in the morning.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Anything that reuses old discarded frames and has people riding bikes is good by me.

born to chill
    I guess I should be more specific, I'm not talking about people who are actually into bikes that do it, but more of the people that very clearly are doing it simply because it is considered "hip" in some strange way. The best quote that exemplifies this (which applies to other groups as well) is from the movie the Way of the Gun when I Del Toro says "these days, people want to be criminals more than they want to commit a crime."

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny
    Holy sh1t dude that was f*cking brilliant LOLOL

mtbr member
    welcome to the entire history of the human race. sorry it has to infringe on your hobby.

Single Speed Nation
    Are people not allowed to do whatever the heck they want without others judging them? Who cares if they're doing it because it's 'hip'. As long as they're happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster
    Holy sh1t dude that was f*cking brilliant LOLOL
    I remember watching that vid about 4 months ago, and thinking "man those fixie handlebars are rediculously narrow". I thought it was a video humor prop.

Last week, I saw a hipster riding a setup just like it.

is buachail foighneach me
    Some of em have more skills than you ever will....

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6200166&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6200166&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6200166">One gear No idea</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1089639">chris akrigg</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

~Disc~Golf~
    dood's got a fixie too- look at the pink (coral) bike @ 35sec
    Honestly... ahh I give up

And his second little fixie video:

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9824201&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9824201&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/9824201">Chris Akrigg THE MAURICE.0</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1089639">chris akrigg</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    What's wrong with wanting to stand apart from the crowd, pulling up to the trailhead in a hybrid drinking a macchiato? I don't have a starbucks near me or drive an "eco-friendly" car, and I don't give a rat's a** if anyone thinks I'm hip or not, but there's nothing wrong with any of them. That said, I do chuckle at some hard core roadies in full kit, though I wonder what I look like to a non-cyclist when I ride my road bike

mtbr member
    What it means is you are a trendsetter, and the trendy types are aping your style

Don't worry, next week they'll be posturing around on pogo sticks, and you/we can revert back to our non-status.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I say this, and I ride a singlespeed mtb, but WTF is the deal with the trend lately for hunting down some obscure Itallian road frame to convert to a singlespeed in some sort of quasi-MTB/road bike configuration? They typically look like the kinda guys that would be driving some eco-friendly car and hanging out at starbucks... Just curious what started that trend is all.
    My theory...

Young hipsters thought bike messengers looked cool. The early ones started buying Pistas and other fixed gear bikes. Since fixies are low maintenance, and cheap, other hipsters joined in. Yippee, new fad!

The funny thing to me is that 5 years ago, this same group of hipsters would have been driving/standing around smoking and have nothing to do with a bike or exercise for that matter. Now they just ride around, with their converted old ten-speeds, squeaky chains (seriously will someone tell them about chain lube), girl jeans, and generally look uncoordinated.

To each his own. I'm just glad it's more bikes on the streets, more bike shops in business, and less cars to run me over.

Getting Fit
    Kool videos

Pretty impressive

iRonic

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSJoD3YQenE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSJoD3YQenE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    Ron

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    To the OP-

What the heck is wrong with people driving eco friendly cars? Screw Starbucks but seriously, eco friendly cars? Are you ultra neck or just that insecure with your man hood? I don't drive a hybrid but I don't see the issue with technology that keeps money in your pocket and our Ozone layer intact.

As far as Hipsters go...they are easy to poke fun at but whatever. Trends are part of human nature. Some of the crap "they" are into is funny but there is nothing wrong with a simple, cheap and reliable bike. Conversions (SS or fixed) can be done with class and work well for years. Beats walking, taking public transit or driving in most cases.

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict
    To the OP-

What the heck is wrong with people driving eco friendly cars? Screw Starbucks but seriously, eco friendly cars? Are you ultra neck or just that insecure with your man hood? I don't drive a hybrid but I don't see the issue with technology that keeps money in your pocket and our Ozone layer intact.
    Two words.

Prius envy.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by medieval
    Two words.

Prius envy.
    Personally I'm content with my old Civic. It's red and shiny and pretty and FAST!!!

kinda.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I know at least one fixie rider that only really does it because it makes him feel different in a superior way. Personally I'm amazed that fixies are even road-legal, especially with cleats. I can appreciate the physical aspects of riding one and the ability to do silly backwards-riding stunts but put me on one and I'd probably end up losing a leg. The aforementioned guy has probably had more accidents riding his in the last year than I have in the last 10. Usually involving cars in traffic and not being able to make emergency stops at speed safely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This thread (especially the videos) has given me more laughs per minute than most!
    Ultra neck...!! I love it.

born to chill
    To the OP-

As far as Hipsters go...they are easy to poke fun at but whatever. Trends are part of human nature. Some of the crap "they" are into is funny but there is nothing wrong with a simple, cheap and reliable bike. Conversions (SS or fixed) can be done with class and work well for years. Beats walking, taking public transit or driving in most cases.
    Holy crap this thread has been gold lol Nothing against eco cars, just noting that's part of the "hipster" stereotype, image first brah. But to the question, am I "ultra neck" which is just an awesome quote and I'm totally stealing from you bro, I drive a bone stock gas guzzling redneckmobile 91' F250 which hauls around my dogs, kayaks, bikes, motorcycles, camper and also pulls duty as a work truck from time to time, when I'm not riding one of my motorcycles which get more fuel economy than any hybrid.

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    My theory...

Young hipsters thought bike messengers looked cool. The early ones started buying Pistas and other fixed gear bikes. Since fixies are low maintenance, and cheap, other hipsters joined in. Yippee, new fad!

The funny thing to me is that 5 years ago, this same group of hipsters would have been driving/standing around smoking and have nothing to do with a bike or exercise for that matter. Now they just ride around, with their converted old ten-speeds, squeaky chains (seriously will someone tell them about chain lube), girl jeans, and generally look uncoordinated.

To each his own. I'm just glad it's more bikes on the streets, more bike shops in business, and less cars to run me over.
    Probably the most accurate theory so far, and that's another one, WTFWTF is the thing with the girl jeans?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Feel the same..

one more person riding a bike good enough for me...and the chopped narrow bar choice is just a Graeme Obree tribute

Personally no way I could handle sweaty jean arse...so I'll keep pimping the lycra.

My theory...

Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

Out spokin'
    To the OP-

...eco friendly cars? Are you ultra neck or just that insecure with your man hood? I don't drive a hybrid ...
    Ultra neck -- that's downright awesome. I expect somebody on this forum will adopt it as their screen name PDQ.

P.S. I'm rippin' it, just so's ya know's.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've noticed the fixie thing is waning, mainly because I think these people discovered freewheels; I see a lot of SS now, which is more appropriate for 99% of riders out there.

The skinny handlebar thing baffles me though. They do it because they think it allows them to ride between traffic, and slip through tighter spacers, forgetting that any handlebar narrower than your hips and shoulders is just dumb, and possibly uncomfortable. I also LOLed when I saw something trying to sell a real nice CF handlebar that had been chopped to about 18in... for 60 something dollars.

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    so when is the 29" inch fixie comming?
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

Chronic 1st-timer
    AYHCSMB!

My theory...

The funny thing to me is that 5 years ago, this same group of hipsters would have been driving/standing around smoking and have nothing to do with a bike or exercise for that matter. Now they just walk around, pushing their converted old ten-speeds, squeaky chains (seriously will someone tell them about chain lube), girl jeans, and generally look uncoordinated.

Fixed........oops didn't mean to say that. Edited it for ya.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Their are plenty of guys who ride 29er fixie mtb. I ride with a few of them and they are incredibly fast and fun to watch on the downhill, especially on super techy stuff.
    Nothing like watching a fixe come down a steep off camber on a cliff band and he has to lift up the rear tire and skid it into the corner while pedaling all the time.
    Hilarious to watch them catch air and are forced to pedal in the air.
    They obviously get to the point that they gear out and are definitely at a disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by erkan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    AYHCSMB!

Fixed........oops didn't mean to say that. Edited it for ya.
    Needs bar ends.

trail rat
    Uh, about 2006 here, get your time machine tuned.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    So why are not the skinny jeans fixie-hipsters running fixed 29" mtb instead of lugged colnagos from 83?

I mean its not as if they ride them as a road bike, they do tricks and stuff with them and have a cut down DH-bar on them, in my narrow world it doesnt make any sense at all jumping around on an old racer with skinny tires like its a BMX bike?

https://blog.remes-it.be/wp-content/...ader-sense.jpg
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Philrob
    I know at least one fixie rider that only really does it because it makes him feel different in a superior way. Personally I'm amazed that fixies are even road-legal, especially with cleats. I can appreciate the physical aspects of riding one and the ability to do silly backwards-riding stunts but put me on one and I'd probably end up losing a leg. The aforementioned guy has probably had more accidents riding his in the last year than I have in the last 10. Usually involving cars in traffic and not being able to make emergency stops at speed safely.

All that means is that guy is a d-bag and doesn't know how to ride a bike in traffic. I know an awful lot of messengers who have been riding fixed gear bikes with very few accidents for a very long time. They're just as safe as any other bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "They're just as safe as any other bike"

Really...

Really...

absolutely. If you took the brakes off of your freewheeling bike, how safe would it be? Fixed gear bikes can(should, imo) be ridden with at least a front brake. Take both off though, and they'll actually be safer than a freewheel bike with no brakes.

What's unsafe about them?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Ultra neck -- that's downright awesome. I expect somebody on this forum will adopt it as their screen name PDQ.

P.S. I'm rippin' it, just so's ya know's.

--Sparty
    I aim to please.

P.S. I'm not familiar with the accurate E-Definition of rippin', but if that means your riding your bike then excellent!

If it means you don't like my quote then
    Last edited by CycleAddict; 03-31-2010 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    absolutely. If you took the brakes off of your freewheeling bike, how safe would it be? Fixed gear bikes can(should, imo) be ridden with at least a front brake. Take both off though, and they'll actually be safer than a freewheel bike with no brakes.

What's unsafe about them?

I thought we were talking about a typical fixed gear bike without brakes?

Now, if you say "They're just as safe as any other bike", but they have brakes, that's like saying "My truck is stuck in 3rd gear, and it has brakes, hence it's safer than any other truck".

~Disc~Golf~

Now, if you say "They're just as safe as any other bike", but they have brakes, that's like saying "My truck is stuck in 3rd gear, and it has brakes, hence it's just as safe as any other truck".
    fixed
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Holy crap this thread has been gold lol Nothing against eco cars, just noting that's part of the "hipster" stereotype, image first brah. But to the question, am I "ultra neck" which is just an awesome quote and I'm totally stealing from you bro, I drive a bone stock gas guzzling redneckmobile 91' F250 which hauls around my dogs, kayaks, bikes, motorcycles, camper and also pulls duty as a work truck from time to time, when I'm not riding one of my motorcycles which get more fuel economy than any hybrid.
    Rock the quote all day buddy. Glad it works for ya. My comments are all in good fun .

I'm not hatin' on your truck either...Nothing wrong with a vehicle that fits your job and lifestyle. I just find it funny when guys can't rock a small car or *gasp* hybrid because they think the vehicle they drive makes them more/less of a man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i am pretty sure alot of those fixe stunt guys are on purpose built bikes. A few bmx companies are building some

Now, if you say "They're just as safe as any other bike", but they have brakes, that's like saying "My truck is stuck in 3rd gear, and it has brakes, hence it's safer than any other truck".

So now you're saying that multispeeds are safer than singlespeeds??

Fixed gear with no brakes:

-You can still slow to a stop in a reasonably safe distance without removing your feet from the pedals by slowing your cadence/applying backpressure. I've done it countless times myself.

Freewheel bike with no brakes:

-You'll have a difficult time slowing to a stop without taking your foot off the pedal.

So yes, if brakes are taken out of the question, a fixed gear bike is safer than one with a freewheel. If you're only talking about brakeless fixed gear bikes, then your problem isn't with fixed gear drivetrains, it's with people who don't use brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    So now you're saying that multispeeds are safer than singlespeeds??

Fixed gear with no brakes:

-You can still slow to a stop in a reasonably safe distance without removing your feet from the pedals by slowing your cadence/applying backpressure. I've done it countless times myself.

Freewheel bike with no brakes:

-You'll have a difficult time slowing to a stop without taking your foot off the pedal.

So yes, if brakes are taken out of the question, a fixed gear bike is safer than one with a freewheel. If you're only talking about brakeless fixed gear bikes, then your problem isn't with fixed gear drivetrains, it's with people who don't use brakes.

I never said to take the brakes off a regular bike. That would just be dumb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone seen a Brooklyn Gangsta track(brooklyn machine works),now put some skinny knobbly tyres on one of those and take it off road,serious fun me thinks.Overbuilt commuter bike!!!

mtbr member
    Some fixed gear riding:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b36Yi-Pb1wM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b36Yi-Pb1wM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Chronic 1st-timer

Really...
    Guns don't kill people, fixie riders do.
    Trailwrecker at large

I never said to take the brakes off a regular bike. That would just be dumb.

Taking the brakes off ANY bike could be considered dumb.

born to chill
    I'm not hatin' on your truck either...Nothing wrong with a vehicle that fits your job and lifestyle. I just find it funny when guys can't rock a small car or *gasp* hybrid because they think the vehicle they drive makes them more/less of a man.
    I'm with you 110% on that one, I can't tell you how often I've had to do the at the number of gigantic trucks and suv's out here (California) that have one driver all the time. Or when you're held up in a parking lot cause some "kept wife" solo-driving a lifted Excursion is doing a 25 point turnabout to try to fit into a parking space, while I sit there mumbling to myself "why didn't this assh0le just get a Honda Civic..."

This lady in my office actually said she was getting a big Chevy Suburban, I asked her if she had a big family or a boat or something, she said "no I just like to sit up high and see over traffic when I commute." This was so she could commute!? While our receptionist was talking about buying a Four Runner, I said the same thing, are you going to offroad it, or pull stuff... she said "no, I just need the space to haul the kids and gear to soccer practice." I said "you know a minivan will handle better, cost less to maintain and get better fuel economy", to which she says "yeah but I don't want to look like one of those soccer moms."

I thought I got stuck in a sitcom...

mtbr member
    I actually want to get rid of my jeep since I have not offroaded it in like 4 yrs, do I can ge t an economic car
    SS Rigid =
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by ricot83
    I actually want to get rid of my jeep since I have not offroaded it in like 4 yrs, do I can ge t an economic car
    That's just crazy talk, get it out and start wheelin again!

One of my other rides is a Jeep
    What is the deal with these people on singlespeeds?-con09.jpg

mtbr member
    That's just crazy talk, get it out and start wheelin again!

One of my other rides is a Jeep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	con09.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	532439
    nice my buddy has a yj built up with 35s. And he turboed it last year too
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's funny to me, because I have a smallish hatchback, and I've used it more as a truck than a lot of truck owners. I can put a kayak INSIDE, 2 bikes inside. I've pulled a sailboat with it. I've hitched a 4x8 flatbed trailer to it and moved apartments twice, helped my roomates move stuff, got a roomfull of furniture, and picked up about 20 cinderblocks. It's actually funny when I roll into the home depot with my trailer hitched up and all the day laborers start yelling and running my way.

mtbr member
    Hey....

mtbr member
    This is a great thread.

34N 118W
    They typically look like the kinda guys that would be driving some eco-friendly car and hanging out at starbucks... Just curious what started that trend is all.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    You guys are cracking me up.

I laughed like crazy

Pwning Trails
    This thread is hilarious! Have you guys seen this site: http://www.latfh.com some funny shiz there ....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

openwound
    What is the deal with these people on singlespeeds?-haters_gonna_hate.jpg

mtbr member

One More Bike

One More Bike = One Less Car

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by Dms1818
    One More Bike = One Less Car
    What is the problem with cars everyone seems to have? I'd wager that ironically most people with the one less car attitude, have cars LOL

mtbr member
    i ride fixie with a front brake and wide swooping moustache bars and man jeans. booya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i shouldn't like it, but i do, mucho

i'm sure you've all seen it before...
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HLzGj10fg2g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HLzGj10fg2g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

miwuksurfer
    WTF is the deal with the trend lately for hunting down some obscure Itallian road frame to convert to a singlespeed. Just curious what started that trend is all.
    Yeah, whats the deal with this trend anyways?

Eddy Merckx, 1973.
    Last edited by miwuksurfer; 04-20-2010 at 12:37 PM.

miwuksurfer
    Sorry, didn't mean to kill the thread with boring history.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer
    Sorry, didn't mean to kill the thread with boring history.
    Thanks alot....

lol...this thread is sweet.

born to chill
    Yeah what the f*ck, bring back those f*cking hipsters in girl pants LOL

born to chill

Note the text at the bottom as it starts to fade out...

"stylistic trademarks: [girl's] jeans, cotton spandex leggings, fixed gear bikes"

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer
    Yeah, whats the deal with this trend anyways?

Eddy Merckx, 1973.
    Diggin the loafers...

smell the saddle...
    I'll repeat the same, more bikes on the road is fine by me. I have always been an mtber first and foremost but the fixie/hipster scene convinced me to do a few alleycats and I eventually built a commuter bike on mtb frame (w/brakes of course) for riding the streets, etc.

Some of the trends, etc. are pretty funny; others are quite eccentric or intriguing. You canít discredit them for creativity. I mean, who would have ever thought wearing kool-lots and drinking PBR would be the Ďiní thing. I still donít quite get the fixie trick thing. I grew up freestyling, seems like a freestyle bike is better equipped for all of this. Although the women Olympic freestyle video posted is quite impressive.

If you question the legitimacy of the fun factor, go out and do an alleycat. I find weaving in and out of traffic is a lot like riding in the woods. You also have to appreciate the hipster movement for giving us something to talk about in the cycling community (donít we get bored with tech talk all the time?) It certainly put Bike Snob NYC on the map Ė he has a book deal and is writing for Bicycling magazine now. Not bad for making fun of a bunch of hipsters doing what we all love.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Take an unemployed degenerate, give them a bike and viola...they become a hipster.

There is a tendancy to people to want to identify with something, a dirty hipster bicyclist is an easy mold to fit into.

It helps if you are a dick too.

Cheers

smell the saddle...

Hipster definitions by hipsters

To contribute to the complexity of the argot of the “hipster / fixie revolution…” I was conversing with a fairly savvy hipster chick back in '08 when I was working on hosting a potential alleycat in my town. After several emails and reference to various terms and handles, I finally asked for definitions to some of these rhetorical titles and classifications (see below).

I for one, like classifications, not specifically for mass grouping or for everyone to be fit under categories, but more for amusement & entertainment. I find diversity in subculture interesting and after reading these; I certainly think none of these classify me. I like to think, I am “unclassified”.

Hipster definitions by hipsters:

bike lords: one who may or may not have spent tons of money on their frame, but the bike is overall built up nicely. does all/most their own work and has some skills that set them apart from general bike-tinkerers (like wheelbuilding). these kids definitely ride and dress like they do.

crust lords: little or nothing to do with bikes. probably have a bike because they don't want to pay for a car and smells to bad for public transport. they wear holey, brown clothes and listen to crust punk bands (that's something your could probably google).

bike geeks - see bike lords, but probably have an insanely nice frame and have superbly built it up. do not attempt to stump this person with some state of the art gismo or youtube video pertaining to bikes - you will fail.

bike punks - like a crust punk, only possibly less smelly. has a slew of anti-car patches from akpress and crimethink, for example, all over everything... probably have a matching email addy and avatar, too.

hipsters – for the latest offering, just use Google image search.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i love both of my gas guzzling v8's. one gets me to rides on time, and one i could live in if i had some riverfront property.

With that said, if i drive my car normally, it gets the same or better mileage on the highway than alot of 4cyl cars out there.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    uh im pretty sure the 29er wheels are the same size a 700c, and those are track bikes
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    fixie air 9 carbon'd out with 2.3" big apples?
    i thiiiink I'd ride it?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    Some fixed gear riding:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b36Yi-Pb1wM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b36Yi-Pb1wM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

WOW....................
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by phpeter

It helps if you are a dick too.

Cheers

only if you are an *ironic* one

Long live long rides.
    Everything I like is awesome. Everything you like is garbage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, here is my story...I was always a mtb and dirt bmx rider (grew up in SoCal desert) but I rode a buddies "fixie" a few weeks ago. Since then, I have bought a fixed gear bike from him on the cheap and really enjoy riding it. I like how I can step out my front door and just start riding, no driving to the local trails. I also like the feel of a smooth riding road bike but with that "bmx" look (kinda LOL). I never liked the looks or comfort of a traditional road bike but this fixie feels great. I had no experience on a fixed gear or road bike and feel very confident that I can come to a stop if need be. Give it a try sometime, you may surprise yourself.

Also, just in case your wondering, I DO NOT wear the girlie pants, useless key chain or stupid looking hat LOL but wear the same Vans when riding the fixed gear as my mountain bike as I have liked that style since '93 when I got my first pair of Vans LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This thread is awesome.

I ****ing hate hipsters, I just moved to Montana from Chicago and there are still hipsters here rofl

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Si
    Also, just in case your wondering, I DO NOT wear the girlie pants, useless key chain or stupid looking hat LOL but wear the same Vans when riding the fixed gear as my mountain bike as I have liked that style since '93 when I got my first pair of Vans LOL
    Glad you clarified that and are secure in your anti-hipster street cred. Having proven your worthiness, the fashion gods do hereby allow you the privilege of riding singlespeeds and/or so-called "fixies" without reprobation.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Probably the most accurate theory so far, and that's another one, WTFWTF is the thing with the girl jeans?

are you George Clooney?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Rock the quote all day buddy. Glad it works for ya. My comments are all in good fun .

by you thinking you have nothing to prove, you are definitely trying to prove something.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    by you thinking you have nothing to prove, you are definitely trying to prove something.
    by pointing out he is trying to prove something, you are definitely trying to prove something.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    by pointing out he is trying to prove something, you are definitely trying to prove something.

if i were to drive an eco car, it would not be to prove a point, it would be because i were trying to save mother nature, leave a smaller carbon footprint, etc.

my most fuel-efficient vehicle gets 12mpg, and that's with a 30mph tailwind and God in the passenger seat. it hauls my trailer with my toys, goes off road, takes me to remote fishing spots, ferries me and my friends to the store or the movies, and is practical and small enough to drive every day. so i drive it every day.

i have nothing to prove by riding a single speed. i just get more enjoyment out of it because it's more of a challenge to me. i couldn't care less what people thought about my ride. if i did, i wouldn't be riding a "made in Taiwan" GT.

Bro Mountainbiker
    crust lords: little or nothing to do with bikes. probably have a bike because they don't want to pay for a car and smells to bad for public transport. they wear holey, brown clothes and listen to crust punk bands (that's something your could probably google).
    Dude, Crust is my effin awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOsw2wK4os
    I like my punk raw and real

Anyway, Im surprised some NY bike messangers ride fixies... I swear those guys have have a death wish though you gotta respect it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This thread is a few years too late... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669
    Dude, Crust is my effin awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOsw2wK4os
    I like my punk raw and real

Anyway, Im surprised some NY bike messangers ride fixies... I swear those guys have have a death wish though you gotta respect it.
    Choking Victim isn't a crust band... you posted a link to a shitty ska band LOL

So why are not the skinny jeans fixie-hipsters running fixed 29" mtb instead of lugged colnagos from 83?

I mean its not as if they ride them as a road bike, they do tricks and stuff with them and have a cut down DH-bar on them, in my narrow world it doesnt make any sense at all jumping around on an old racer with skinny tires like its a BMX bike?

https://blog.remes-it.be/wp-content/...ader-sense.jpg
    Have you seen what a recent "trick" fixed gear bike looks like?
    They almost look like a 29er mixed with a BMX bike :\
    EG: https://i50.tinypic.com/14w9ljm.jpg
    Last edited by xtomx; 05-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    building hipster bikes is fun

"No Clue Crew"
    Greatest music video EVER!!!!...........D

Chronic 1st-timer
    Dude, Crust is my effin awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOsw2wK4os
    Crust?
    More like MTV pop punk.

I like my punk raw and real.
    You mean like this?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D_2SNA4n-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D_2SNA4n-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Trailwrecker at large

Bro Mountainbiker
    MTV Pop Punk? I think not. Maybe not the crustiest band either.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

V-Shaped Rut
    This thread just delivers!

I've got a free/fixed SS roadie, but it has brakes, carbon fork, skinny tires and drop bars. And I wear spandex. Under my baggy shorts. ****. I can't decide what crowd to be a part of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    This thread just delivers!

I've got a free/fixed SS roadie, but it has brakes, carbon fork, skinny tires and drop bars. And I wear spandex. Under my baggy shorts. ****. I can't decide what crowd to be a part of.
    If it ever warms up here, I am joining the Rigid Steel SS 29r wearing spandex (no baggies) crowd.

Jul 2006
    MTV Pop Punk? I think not. Maybe not the crustiest band either.
    about as crusty as this.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-u5WLJ9Yk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-u5WLJ9Yk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice, bike hate -> music hate. I always knew they were related.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0