what cost to convert to SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

what cost to convert to SS?

I have a vintage Hardrock rigid that I like very much. I think that it is a prime candidate to convert to SS. I want to have it done by mmy LBS because I just don't have the time. I figure the following needs to be done/bought:

1. strip bike of parts
    2. frame to get stripped/powder coated
    3. buy SS hub(flip-flop), tensioner, other required SS parts
    4. re-assemble bike.

Assuming I get basic parts, and pay to have all the work done, what should this cost me ballpark?

conjoinicorned
    why a new hub? get one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=2300
    and a tensioner, or make a tensioner out of an old derailleur.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Space for rent...
    It's only pain......

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    I have a vintage Hardrock rigid that I like very much. I think that it is a prime candidate to convert to SS. I want to have it done by mmy LBS because I just don't have the time. I figure the following needs to be done/bought:

1. strip bike of parts
    4. re-assemble bike.

Assuming I get basic parts, and pay to have all the work done, what should this cost me ballpark?

Cost me 60 bucks.
    Gusset SS Conversion- $25
    Salsa- 34t Ring w/ no ramps- $25
    KMC Z410np BMX Chain- $10

i did all the work myself so i saved on labor. Not sure if u need a new hub tho. i have a Steelhead w/ Horizontal dropouts so no need for tensioner. good luck.

Going tru a shop and getting all excess parts u mention should bring it in over $300 bucks easily and thats w/o paint maybe.....
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005

mtbr member
    Why have a shop do the convert? Most of the fun comes from doing the work yourself. Not only do you save dough but you form a more intimate relationship with your ride and learn a thing or two in the process.

As far as cost, if you have the right tools then you can spend as little as $10 or as much as a couple hundred. Depends if you want a basic ride or a blinged-out pimpbike.

Just my 2 cents.

E !

D.i.y.

You can do it yourself easy.
    The price you will have to Pay is that your "other bike" Will be just hanging in the garage,never ridden.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkymutt
    ...you can spend as little as $10.
    Or as little as $0. You mean you missed this thread ?.... Another buck for some pvc, some time on the grinding wheel and I could lose the other 7 cogs on the cassette and the big ring in front as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

no tools, time, or skilz

i own a full woodshop, but not a single tool for bikes. by the time I bought the tools and learned how to use them......

its either pay someone to do it, or it doesn't get done

mtbr member
    I had a Serotta T-Max sitting around my garage gathering dust for years. I purchased it in 92 and rode it constantly until purchasing a GT LTS in 96. I rode it less and less with each new FS purchase. A couple of years ago I built it up SS. My goal was to not spend a cent on it. I used 1 1/4" PVC to sandwich a scavenged sprocket from a local bike shop. I have plenty of broken derailleurs laying around so I found a suitable donor and cut the bottom of the cage off of an XTR and used it as a tensioner. I took two 11/4" x 2" electrical reducing washers and placed them on both sides of the sprocket, forming a foolproof chain guide on the back. I then took the big chain ring and ground the teeth off of it for a chain guide/bash ring. I put some old riser bars and bar ends (got to climb those hills somehow) I then put my homemade no tubes in with some Huchison Mosquito tires and I have the king of all mud bikes.
    I broke my $0 rule when I found a 1" steerer tube Marzochi fork on sale, 1" steerer tube forks are harder and harder to find.
    Now I find myself riding the SS all winter when the trails are nasty and even racing it occasionally.
    There is something very gratifying about riding a 15 year old bike that still, under the right conditions, can put you back in the parking lot before your buddies on the latest greatest…
    Last edited by santacruzer; 01-25-2006 at 04:23 AM.

mtbr member

Eccentric

I would get an ENO eccentric hub then you will not need the chain tensioner. I would stay away from chain tensioners unless you are trying to save money. I think the hub is around $130.00.

Quote Originally Posted by bauerb

1. strip bike of parts
    4. re-assemble bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0