what Continental tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what Continental tire?

I am needing some new tires (still) and I am planning on using Continental's. I am just curious as to what everyone has had some good luck with.

I am looking for something 2.3 to 2.4, I don't think I could get anything bigger than that in my fork.

I am currently using the Michelin Mountain Extreme 2.2 and have used the Hot S 2.2.

Thanks for your input

SSasquatch
    I just put Vertical ProTection (2.3) and like them so far, but I only have 30 miles to date. A friend had some sidewall issues with the non-ProTection Vertical Pro, but has since switched to the ProTection model and has had no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Vertical Protection

I used the 2.3 Vert Pro's on my Sugar 2+(F and R) and on my Ti SS (R).
    I think it is a great tire for the loose and rocky conditions I ride in N. Colorado.
    I could not run less than 30 PSI on the SS if I was on sharp/rocky terrain (pinch flats), but overall a SOLID tire.
    As versatile as the Cinder, but far more durable sidewall (ie: protection).
    I have torn sidewalls on other tires before (some Conti's too), but had no problems with the Protections.
    Worth the extra $ and weight in my opinion.

my .02

C.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    We need details.

What are your local riding condition/terrain, your weight, riding style?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sorry Shiggy I knew you would ask that.

I am 185-190 and ride in the midwest (Indiana/Kentucky). Not sandy and not real rocky. Mostly good to soft dirt with slick roots. Not needing a mud tire and most of the rocks are in creek beds. I do not hit drop or such, but will cross large logs.

I have used my other tires all year round and been happy with them for the most part. The Hot S sidewalls tore very easy and I am ripping the knobs off the Mountain Extreme.

I ride SS and usually run 40-45psi and usually have a grin on my face that looks like I am up to somthing.

I have used some Hutchinson Python's that came on my NRS, but they did not work good in anything that was moist at all. Never tried them on the SS.

Hope that helps.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Look at the Gravity 2.3 and Diesel 2.5. The Diesel may be of similar size to the Michelins you are using.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

local trails rider
    I have Gravity rear / Diesel front on my HT bike and it feels like a balanced combination. Works great on my forest trails. I just think there must be something better for slimy wet rocks and roots ... or maybe not?

No Fear!
    Get the Gravity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Diesel 2.5's run a bit small and so may fit your frame. I've ridden mine on wet slimey roots around here (Pac NW) quite a bit and they have gripped exceptionally well. I weigh about the same as you but I run my tires 20-25psi and have had no problems with pinch flats, wondering why you run your pressures so high?
    The Diesels also roll exceptionally well despite a non-contiguous tread.
    bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    i use conti 2.3 vertical pro ust's on my rigid ss and they have done me proud. lots of bite, sidewalls are strong and the rubber holds up well. they way to go in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Diesel 2.5's run a bit small and so may fit your frame. I've ridden mine on wet slimey roots around here (Pac NW) quite a bit and they have gripped exceptionally well. I weigh about the same as you but I run my tires 20-25psi and have had no problems with pinch flats, wondering why you run your pressures so high?
    The Diesels also roll exceptionally well despite a non-contiguous tread.
    bike ON
    bob
    I am not that worried about the frame since I am on a 1x1, but I am currently using a shock on the front and I don't think it will fit in there. I plan on putting the surly fork on for the winter and who knows I just might leave it on there.

I guess I run that pressure just because when I have less pressure than that, it seems too hard to get the bike up to speed. It feels like I am riding with the brakes on or in sand. It is not for pinch flat reasons.

local trails rider
    The Diesel fits in my Marzocchi MX Comp. I think Marzocchi recommends max. 2.3 inch tyres.

Combat Wombat
    The Diesel also fits in my 03 RS Duke.

Brian

mtbr member
    I have a Manitou Palmer XS Ti

Members who have read this thread: 0