What chain with a WI Trials FW- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

What chain with a WI Trials FW

Ok, I am currently using the chain that came with my bike. It is a KMC though I am not sure of which model. I am guessing a cheap one as the bike was a cheap complete SS for the most part. But the chain is quite large (links) and therefore fairly heavy. I am starting the search for a lighter chain and thought I had this worked out. i was going to go with a KMC x9sl since I hear they seem to last a little longer than the newer X10sl's. But the Trials FW requires a 3/32 chain. I believe that is an 8 spd chain. Anyone have any ideas of a fairly lightweight 3/32 or 8 spd chain out there? Thought about a Sram or Shimano as they appear to have smaller looking links compared to my frickn huge links.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm using a standard 9 spd 3/32 sram w/ my WI. No problems after 8 months.

Low Rep Count
    Does anyone know if the KMC x9sl comes in a 3/32? I can't seem to find the actual size of this chain.

I used to run the standard Sram 9 speed chains on my road bike with no problems so that has been an option I have kept on the table if you will.

Low Rep Count
    It sounds like a lot of folks are running a Sram PC890 chain which is basically an 8 speed. But noting that some are running the Sram 9spd chain makes me wonder if the chain is simply available in a 3/32 compared to others. I would really like to run the KMC x9sl but can't seem to find out details on the chain as far as whether or not it is 3/32 or not or if it is available in that size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Look here.

http://www.danscomp.com/463004.php
    or here
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...11.2797.0.html

Dan's specifies under options that their's is 3/32nd

mtbr member
    Any 3/32 or 1/8 chain. The 3/32 fits "better" and tighter (less play) since it was designed for the narrower 3/32 chain. This includes K710SL 1/8, X9 3/32, PC-850 3/32. The PC-1 3/32 chain works and the nickel plated one (better than non-nickel) should be less than $15 at Sports Basement.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Ok, I am currently using the chain that came with my bike. It is a KMC though I am not sure of which model. I am guessing a cheap one as the bike was a cheap complete SS for the most part. But the chain is quite large (links) and therefore fairly heavy. I am starting the search for a lighter chain and thought I had this worked out. i was going to go with a KMC x9sl since I hear they seem to last a little longer than the newer X10sl's. But the Trials FW requires a 3/32 chain. I believe that is an 8 spd chain. Anyone have any ideas of a fairly lightweight 3/32 or 8 spd chain out there? Thought about a Sram or Shimano as they appear to have smaller looking links compared to my frickn huge links.
    3/32 chains are multispeed chains: 7, 8, 9 speed. 1/8 chains are going to be BMX/singlespeed chains. 1/8 chains certainly weigh a lot more than 3/32 chains. Whether or not they are any more durable is hotly debated. I use an 8 speed 3/32 chain from SRAM with my WI Trials FW and so far so good.
    Responds to gravity

The need for singlespeed
    I would really like to run the KMC x9sl but can't seem to find out details on the chain as far as whether or not it is 3/32 or not or if it is available in that size.
    It's 11/128", not 3/32". Your WI freewheel has 2.17mm wide teeth according to Sheldon, and the X9SL is 2.18mm wide, so that's a tight fit (10um!). I run the X10SL (also 2.17mm) on my SS roadbike which has a Shimano freewheel at 2.08mm and it works great. Apparently 0.09mm of clearance is fine in clean conditions.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    3/32 chains are multispeed chains: 7, 8, 9 speed. 1/8 chains are going to be BMX/singlespeed chains.
    not neccessarily. the kmc k810sl is a bmx racing chain that is 3/32 and it will not work with gears.

there are many other bmx/ss chains that are 3/32 out there. a couple by kmc and some others.

if anyone is interested in the well loved kmc 810sl which is no longer made feel free to hit me up. i bought up a large stock of them a while back and would love to share the wealth.

Hairshirt Rider
    I am starting the search for a lighter chain and thought I had this worked out. i was going to go with a KMC x9sl since I hear they seem to last a little longer than the newer X10sl's. But the Trials FW requires a 3/32 chain. I believe that is an 8 spd chain. Anyone have any ideas of a fairly lightweight 3/32 or 8 spd chain out there? Thought about a Sram or Shimano as they appear to have smaller looking links compared to my frickn huge links.
    You are over thinking this. Any 8 or 9 speed chain will work. As far as durability, YMMV. I've used everything from cheap 8 speed chains to higher end 8 and 9 speed paired with a variety of front chain rings. No difference in performance, durability or noise.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    not neccessarily. the kmc k810sl is a bmx racing chain that is 3/32 and it will not work with gears.

there are many other bmx/ss chains that are 3/32 out there. a couple by kmc and some others.

if anyone is interested in the well loved kmc 810sl which is no longer made feel free to hit me up. i bought up a large stock of them a while back and would love to share the wealth.
    Quite true. I missed the mark. But if the OP is looking for a lighter chain for SS FW equipped bike, any 3/32 chain, singlespeed, 8, or 9 speed, will serve.
    Responds to gravity

Low Rep Count
    Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I am really interested in the KMC x9sl chain and knowing that it will work is the answer I was hoping for. I guess I just got confused and wasn't sure about the size of it. I know my 10spd chains won't work as I just happened to have a couple of old ones around the house but I have no other chains to try at this point.

Thanks,

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    9 speed chains are not 3/32" They are about 10% narrower, and will not work with a cog or freewheel that actually measures at 3/32". 7 and 8 speed chains are actually 3/32".
    However, many cogs are narrower to compensate. If the WI freewheel is, i do not know.

If you're buying a chain anyways, then go with a, 8 speed chain or 3/32" bmx chain, IMHO.
    Many claim the 8 speed chains are higher quality, but i havent noticed them braking any more infrequently.

Out spokin'
    What is so fantastic about the KMC x9sl and why would you (or anyone) want to pay $45 for an off-road bike chain?

I buy 4 or 5 chains for that. Decent ones.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    SRAM 870. $20. Done

Low Rep Count
    x9sl chain weighs 267 grams! Sorry, weight weenie coming out of the closet here. So, with all this being said, I am back to the drawing board looking for a light weight 8 spd chain.

Zoe-WI's website actually says the chain size should be 3/32.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    What is so fantastic about the KMC x9sl and why would you (or anyone) want to pay $45 for an off-road bike chain?

I buy 4 or 5 chains for that. Decent ones.

--sParty
    If you think $45 is bad, you dont even want to know what a new Dura Ace chain costs.

I didnt realize how easy we had it until i built my road bike.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    If you think $45 is bad, you dont even want to know what a new Dura Ace chain costs.

I didnt realize how easy we had it until i built my road bike.
    Yeah, but with shifty bits a good quality chain does make a difference.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Yeah, but with shifty bits a good quality chain does make a difference.
    oh i agree, which is why i got a good one. i was speaking of mountain bike components vs road bike components in general, not just singlespeeds.

mtbr member
    I have been running higher end Sram 9spd chains on my ss for the last 5 years, they always work great. I am running a White Ind 17t f/w and have used it on a shimano f/w no problem. I choose to run a 9spd chain due to the fact that if I bend or break a link or side plate I can borrow a link from a riding buddies chain if needed and all my riding buddies are either SS or 9spd

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    9 speed chains are not 3/32" They are about 10% narrower, and will not work with a cog or freewheel that actually measures at 3/32". 7 and 8 speed chains are actually 3/32".
    However, many cogs are narrower to compensate. If the WI freewheel is, i do not know.

If you're buying a chain anyways, then go with a, 8 speed chain or 3/32" bmx chain, IMHO.
    Many claim the 8 speed chains are higher quality, but i havent noticed them braking any more infrequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I have been running higher end Sram 9spd chains on my ss for the last 5 years, they always work great. I am running a White Ind 17t f/w and have used it on a shimano f/w no problem. I choose to run a 9spd chain due to the fact that if I bend or break a link or side plate I can borrow a link from a riding buddies chain if needed and all my riding buddies are either SS or 9spd
    yea, borrowing a link is always handy.
    It could be that the WI freewheel is under 3/32".
    I find that the teeth need to be under .087" for it not to bind with a 9 speed chain. Of course, there may be exceptions out there, but out of all the chains i've checked, this has been the case.

Out spokin'
    x9sl chain weighs 267 grams! Sorry, weight weenie coming out of the closet here. So, with all this being said, I am back to the drawing board looking for a light weight 8 spd chain.

1SPD, no offense but given the frame you are riding I don't think it makes much sense to chase a few grams with an uber light and uber expensive chain. You have dressed that thing to the nines and don't get me wrong, she's a beauty but I'm just sayin'... if you're going to go the weight weenie route... have you considered digging a whole new money hole?

--sParty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 12-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    disciplesofdirt.org

Did I catch a niner+?
    It sounds like a lot of folks are running a Sram PC890 chain which is basically an 8 speed. But noting that some are running the Sram 9spd chain makes me wonder if the chain is simply available in a 3/32 compared to others. I would really like to run the KMC x9sl but can't seem to find out details on the chain as far as whether or not it is 3/32 or not or if it is available in that size.
    That is the chain I use with my WI FW and it seems to work just fine. I have tried SS specific chains in the past and did like them at first until they get a lot of side to side play. Plus the 8spd chains are cheap and get some trickle down tech.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Low Rep Count
    Sparticus,
    I actually plan on trying to replace my frame by next summer or fall. I am thinking I will probably build up a 29er then. So the wheels, frame and fork will be my last purchases.

I do agree however, that with my current, run of the mill steel frame it does not make a bunch of sense to keep chasing down grams here and there. It makes more sense to spend the money on parts that are going to make larger changes in weight if you will. Items such as wheels! But knowing that I want to build up a 29, it doesn't make sense to do the wheels just yet as I wouldn't be able to use them until the rest of the bike is together. But I could shave some weight by chaning my brakes out to say a set of Marta SL's or R1's. I am leaning more towards the Marta's as I can pick up a used set for less money.

Honestly, I am pretty happy where I am at with some of the changes I have made. But still have a few things I want to do to make sure the current beast is at 20lbs.

Brake levers (pauls)
    New Rotors
    Chain
    ti bolts for rotors/calipers

That is about it. I like my BB7's for their adjustability but I must admit, I could easily shave some 70-100 grams per brake by going with a nicer hydro set up. When you look at the cost to upgrade rotors, levers, ti bolts, I wouldn't be too far off from just getting a set of used Marta's. So that is where the thought process is coming from right now.

As far as the chain, I am willing to bet that a $27 Sram PC870 will be lighter than what I have already. I will be replacing my chain in the spring regardless so going with something lighter is just a bit of a no brainer to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't need to spend some $50 on one but if a x9sl will fit then that is what I would buy when the time comes.

Out spokin'
    Sparticus,
    I actually plan on trying to replace my frame by next summer or fall. I am thinking I will probably build up a 29er then. So the wheels, frame and fork will be my last purchases.

I do agree however, that with my current, run of the mill steel frame it does not make a bunch of sense to keep chasing down grams here and there. It makes more sense to spend the money on parts that are going to make larger changes in weight if you will. Items such as wheels! But knowing that I want to build up a 29, it doesn't make sense to do the wheels just yet as I wouldn't be able to use them until the rest of the bike is together. But I could shave some weight by chaning my brakes out to say a set of Marta SL's or R1's. I am leaning more towards the Marta's as I can pick up a used set for less money.

Honestly, I am pretty happy where I am at with some of the changes I have made. But still have a few things I want to do to make sure the current beast is at 20lbs.

Brake levers (pauls)
    New Rotors
    Chain
    ti bolts for rotors/calipers

That is about it. I like my BB7's for their adjustability but I must admit, I could easily shave some 70-100 grams per brake by going with a nicer hydro set up. When you look at the cost to upgrade rotors, levers, ti bolts, I wouldn't be too far off from just getting a set of used Marta's. So that is where the thought process is coming from right now.

As far as the chain, I am willing to bet that a $27 Sram PC870 will be lighter than what I have already. I will be replacing my chain in the spring regardless so going with something lighter is just a bit of a no brainer to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't need to spend some $50 on one but if a x9sl will fit then that is what I would buy when the time comes.
    If it makes sense to you, it's all good. Please forgive me for my previous post. It's not my place to question anyone's priorities but my own. Maybe I'm just slightly jealous of the seemingly unlimited funds you lavish on your sled. Do whatever makes you feel good. Life's short. Have fun.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Low Rep Count
    No need to be jealous and I was not offended.

If I would have had the money and knew I was going to really get back into riding, I would have simply bought a nicer bike in the beginning. But as it was, the GT was a great place for me to start. So, I have simply been upgrading everything on it as money allows and trying to get lighter stuff as I know my goal is to end up with a nicer frame in the end and hopefully a 29er but we will see how things go. For now it is just replacing things with lighter parts that I am happy with. IE. brakes. Love the adjustability of the BB7's but can shave quite a bit of weight off them and levers when compared to a nicer set of hydro's.

Also keep in mind that all of this is sort of a winter project. Actually, I have to keep telling myself that as well as I keep finding myself finding new things and trying to buy them RIGHT NOW! But the reality is that I have all winter to do this.

mtbr member
    Hey, have you ever considered the cheaper, slightly heavier brother of the X9sl, the X9?

Its cheaper than the X9sl, said to be more durable, and wont rust either . Using these on my SS for about a month now with no problems, both mechanically and cosmetically .

Weight wise mine weighed 280 g .

Retro Grouch

If you are really a weight weenie, than why not go for the x10sl, it's 20 grams lighter (240grams!) than the x9sl. Both have the same id width @ 11/128", so if the x9sl will work, so will the x10sl.
    Last edited by aka brad; 12-13-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Low Rep Count
    It was suggested to me by the King Weight Weenie, Mattlock to go w/ the 9 over the 10 as he fellt that the 10s wear out faster. At this point I won't know for sure if the 9 will fit until I get one. I will just have to give a shot at some point.

Kosher Princess
    Actually, I use the KMC X9SL gold with two separate White Industries freewheels. I have had excellent longevity out of these chains and with this singlespeed setup. Though I think the freewheels are pretty damn heavy, so that might mute the weight savings in comparison to a SS specific freehub with stainless/titanium/aluminum cog.

The biggest limitation of the X9SL is that once you shorten the chain, you'll have to use multiple master links to extend it again due to its hollow pin rivet design. No worries, just be prepared instead of stuck in BFE.

And the X9SL is 3/32".

Low Rep Count
    Awesome!

My goal is to have another wheelset built by summer and they will have a feehub. I will probably go with a Hope hub Tat least that is what I am leaning towards at the moment)

I also have a Shimano 16t fw that I will be spending more time on in the spring but it is still a fw so it wonKt make that much of a difference.

Members who have read this thread: 0