What chain to use on my new SS- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: K4m1k4z3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    155

    What chain to use on my new SS

    I'm planning to convert my GT Moto to SS using Da-Bomb chain tensioner (not the spring one). And I'd like to know whether I can use BMX chains like KMC Halflink etc. I'm really confused.
    I'd be glad if you could recommend me some good chain.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FlatFender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    663
    I ran a sram PC-1 for a bit, but then it started to get some still links out of the blue, now I run $5 KMCs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    77
    Who cares! If you're a weight weenie buy a light one. If you're a masher buy a strong one. If you're rich buy a gold plated one. Its not shifting just going around and around!!!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    543

    I use..........

    Pc-48

  5. #5
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    I use any " big brand" 8 speed chain that is decently priced

  6. #6
    Pees in your sink
    Reputation: Rottenmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32
    I just got the Eastern Bondage chain for my Karate Monkey. It looks cool and is indestructible. And, yes, you can run a KMC stainless one for 10 bucks. Lube it and forget it.

    If you have SS'ed it and are using a chain tensioner, then maybe just go for a cheaper one, since they are easier to replace cost-wise.

    I agree about what you're using the Moto for. If you're doing DJ/4X stuff, you will want a BMX-style one to handle the abuse. If you have mad skills, then you can get away with a lighter MTB chain.

    A chain is a chain is a chain.
    What do you mean there's a 7 A.M. as well?

  7. #7
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,395

    Something to keep in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by K4m1k4z3
    I'm planning to convert my GT Moto to SS using Da-Bomb chain tensioner (not the spring one). And I'd like to know whether I can use BMX chains like KMC Halflink etc. I'm really confused.
    I'd be glad if you could recommend me some good chain.
    Thanks in advance.
    I do not know about these tensioners, but you might want to find out if a 1/8" chain will work with them. I looked at the 3 different Da-Bomb tensioners and while I could not find anything about this, they are sold as a way to convert your 8/9 speed drivetrain to SS. I run a 3/32" KMC Z610HX chain. http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

    This is a dedicated SS chain, so it has a regular masterlink . If you do a search on this subject, these chains also seem to have a pretty strong following.

    Brian

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: K4m1k4z3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I do not know about these tensioners, but you might want to find out if a 1/8" chain will work with them. I looked at the 3 different Da-Bomb tensioners and while I could not find anything about this, they are sold as a way to convert your 8/9 speed drivetrain to SS. I run a 3/32" KMC Z610HX chain. http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

    This is a dedicated SS chain, so it has a regular masterlink . If you do a search on this subject, these chains also seem to have a pretty strong following.

    Brian
    It's THIS tensioner. I thought of KHE Standart chain 1/2" x 1/8".

  9. #9
    time to climb
    Reputation: Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    239

    Bondage chain is sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Rottenmac
    I just got the Eastern Bondage chain for my Karate Monkey. It looks cool and is indestructible. And, yes, you can run a KMC stainless one for 10 bucks. Lube it and forget it.

    If you have SS'ed it and are using a chain tensioner, then maybe just go for a cheaper one, since they are easier to replace cost-wise.

    I agree about what you're using the Moto for. If you're doing DJ/4X stuff, you will want a BMX-style one to handle the abuse. If you have mad skills, then you can get away with a lighter MTB chain.

    A chain is a chain is a chain.
    Gotta have one. Where did you get it? I tried to find it on the web. Only German and Brit companies; both do not even list U.S. as a shipping destination. Is there a webpage?

  10. #10
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    I use KHE chains. I use the hollow pin "weight weenie" variety 3/32" chain. But any chain that matches your cog and chainring will work.
    I had tried a KMC 8spd "X" chain because I had it lying around, but the way the side plates were cut to make shifting easier also made it easier for the chain to collect dirt.

  11. #11
    just have fun!
    Reputation: desurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    154
    I use the $8 KMC BMX chain. Cheap and tough.

  12. #12
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    I would go with 3/32 chain..

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I do not know about these tensioners, but you might want to find out if a 1/8" chain will work with them. I looked at the 3 different Da-Bomb tensioners and while I could not find anything about this, they are sold as a way to convert your 8/9 speed drivetrain to SS. I run a 3/32" KMC Z610HX chain. http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

    This is a dedicated SS chain, so it has a regular masterlink . If you do a search on this subject, these chains also seem to have a pretty strong following.

    Brian
    I would go with 3/32 chain..

    The product descriptor states, "Roller type chain tensioning device to convert your 8/9 speed bike to single speed. Attaches to vertical or horizontal dropouts." The roller may not be able to handle an 1/8 chain. Check out http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Bicycle_Chains for some good chain spew.

    1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

  13. #13
    mtbnj.com
    Reputation: walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414
    I use the KMC as well, my bike shop guy told me my legs will snap before the chain does
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.