What chain to use on my new SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What chain to use on my new SS

I'm planning to convert my GT Moto to SS using Da-Bomb chain tensioner (not the spring one). And I'd like to know whether I can use BMX chains like KMC Halflink etc. I'm really confused.
    I'd be glad if you could recommend me some good chain.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I ran a sram PC-1 for a bit, but then it started to get some still links out of the blue, now I run $5 KMCs.

mtbr member
    Who cares! If you're a weight weenie buy a light one. If you're a masher buy a strong one. If you're rich buy a gold plated one. Its not shifting just going around and around!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use..........

Pc-48

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I use any " big brand" 8 speed chain that is decently priced

Pees in your sink
    I just got the Eastern Bondage chain for my Karate Monkey. It looks cool and is indestructible. And, yes, you can run a KMC stainless one for 10 bucks. Lube it and forget it.

If you have SS'ed it and are using a chain tensioner, then maybe just go for a cheaper one, since they are easier to replace cost-wise.

I agree about what you're using the Moto for. If you're doing DJ/4X stuff, you will want a BMX-style one to handle the abuse. If you have mad skills, then you can get away with a lighter MTB chain.

A chain is a chain is a chain.
    What do you mean there's a 7 A.M. as well?

Combat Wombat

Something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by K4m1k4z3
    I'm planning to convert my GT Moto to SS using Da-Bomb chain tensioner (not the spring one). And I'd like to know whether I can use BMX chains like KMC Halflink etc. I'm really confused.
    I'd be glad if you could recommend me some good chain.
    Thanks in advance.
    I do not know about these tensioners, but you might want to find out if a 1/8" chain will work with them. I looked at the 3 different Da-Bomb tensioners and while I could not find anything about this, they are sold as a way to convert your 8/9 speed drivetrain to SS. I run a 3/32" KMC Z610HX chain. http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

This is a dedicated SS chain, so it has a regular masterlink . If you do a search on this subject, these chains also seem to have a pretty strong following.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I do not know about these tensioners, but you might want to find out if a 1/8" chain will work with them. I looked at the 3 different Da-Bomb tensioners and while I could not find anything about this, they are sold as a way to convert your 8/9 speed drivetrain to SS. I run a 3/32" KMC Z610HX chain. http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

This is a dedicated SS chain, so it has a regular masterlink . If you do a search on this subject, these chains also seem to have a pretty strong following.

Brian
    It's THIS tensioner. I thought of KHE Standart chain 1/2" x 1/8".

time to climb

Bondage chain is sick

Quote Originally Posted by Rottenmac
    I just got the Eastern Bondage chain for my Karate Monkey. It looks cool and is indestructible. And, yes, you can run a KMC stainless one for 10 bucks. Lube it and forget it.

If you have SS'ed it and are using a chain tensioner, then maybe just go for a cheaper one, since they are easier to replace cost-wise.

I agree about what you're using the Moto for. If you're doing DJ/4X stuff, you will want a BMX-style one to handle the abuse. If you have mad skills, then you can get away with a lighter MTB chain.

A chain is a chain is a chain.
    Gotta have one. Where did you get it? I tried to find it on the web. Only German and Brit companies; both do not even list U.S. as a shipping destination. Is there a webpage?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I use KHE chains. I use the hollow pin "weight weenie" variety 3/32" chain. But any chain that matches your cog and chainring will work.
    I had tried a KMC 8spd "X" chain because I had it lying around, but the way the side plates were cut to make shifting easier also made it easier for the chain to collect dirt.

just have fun!
    I use the $8 KMC BMX chain. Cheap and tough.

Retro Grouch

I would go with 3/32 chain..

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU

Brian
    I would go with 3/32 chain..

The product descriptor states, "Roller type chain tensioning device to convert your 8/9 speed bike to single speed. Attaches to vertical or horizontal dropouts." The roller may not be able to handle an 1/8 chain. Check out http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Bicycle_Chains for some good chain spew.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbnj.com
    I use the KMC as well, my bike shop guy told me my legs will snap before the chain does
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

Members who have read this thread: 0