What is the best MTB vacation spot in the East/South East/Midwest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. What is the best MTB vacation spot in the East/South East/Midwest?

I want to go on a mountain bike vacation with the wife. I am looking for some hot tube action after thte rides. Where is a good spot? Ashville, Smoky mountains, Kentuky?????

I live in Indiana. My wife is in pretty decent MTB shape. I will obviously ride my SS, she will ride the NRS 1 I just built for her.

I live in Indianapolis.

Any suggestions are appretiated,
    David
    Sit and spin my ass...

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Brevard, NC

Brevard is at the entrance to Pisgah and a 10 min. drive to Dupont. Its some of the best riding in the country. Brevard is a vacation town with great restaurants and lots of motels and resort / cabin rentals. Its about 40 miles south of Ashville. You could ride every day for a 2 weeks and just scratch the surface of the trails available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I want to go on a mountain bike vacation with the wife. I am looking for some hot tube action after thte rides. Where is a good spot? Ashville, Smoky mountains, Kentuky?????

I live in Indiana. My wife is in pretty decent MTB shape. I will obviously ride my SS, she will ride the NRS 1 I just built for her.

I live in Indianapolis.

David
    If you're in Indy, you can head S. and have a little ride at Ft. Duffield, and then head east in KY for good terrain that's within a day's drive. You can camp at Cave Run and ride from there. The riding around that area will school you if you've only ridden in flat IN. There's great riding all over, but these spots come to mind because my bro's house in IN is the logical within a day place to over night on our way back from KY riding. Land Between The Lakes would be KY riding that offers some distance, but not as tough as the eastern riding. I mention that because I don't know if "decent MTB shape" also means game for steep bench cuts with rock and mud, and stream crossings.

mtbr member

Hot tube action????

I guess I don't get it.

Anywho, I can give you some info about KY since I live in Louisville.

Trails across the state can be divided into three main areas:

1. In and around Louisville to Frankfort
    2. Far West: primarily LBL and Pennyrile
    3. Far East: Daniel Boone National Forest at Cave Run Lake south to Big South Fork

Most of the trails in the first category are somewhat short but fun and notable for being fairly tight and technical. My favorites here and ones I would travel to would be Ft. Duffield (pretty technical), Otter Creek (very near Duffield and moderately technical with some decent climbs) and Capitol View park in Frankfort (not too technical, but fun nonetheless). You can camp at Otter Creek, BTW.

In category 2, LBL is a great location to go camp and ride. The canal loop trails and North-South trails are fast and fun, but not very technical. Great camping, but it fills up quick. Pennyrile is lesser known and may be a good place to hit on the way for you.

Category 3 has the greatest number of trails and also the greatest number of horses. It's worth going to the Cave Run area and doing the Iron Furnace and Buckskin. I've done the latter, but you will be pushing up many hills on a SS. Most of the riding in Big South Fork is in TN and I heard it's pretty fun. Laurel River Lake is very fast and very singlespeedable, but not terribly difficult.

I would also suggest you peruse this website for many trail reviews and trail status reports:
    http://www.singletrack.net

If I were coming here from Indianapolis and choosing to hit the highpoints, I would hit the category 1 trails first and then either go east or west. If you go to category 3 trails, make sure you do some research. It's easy to get lost.

mtbr member

Good job! Hot TUB!!!!!! Sorry I mispell that.

No, I hope no one got exited about the hot "tube" action. Nope, nothing up my anus. I meant sweet love to the wi-fee if she is in the mood......

Anyways,
    Thank you very much for all the information. Definetly some great spots mentioned.

Decent shape means, she could do some climbs, and she is pretty technical, oh boy, I am lucky my wife kind of likes biking too.

I may grow some balls some day and make her a SS. I am thinking 32x20 or maybe 24x18.

I will ride my trek 930 SS convert. I have a Sugar 1, trek 8900, trek 930SS, sold my piece of bobbing crap Raven 800 and got her an NRS1 and put all the bling bling from the raven on her bike.
    Last edited by Zion Rasta; 05-02-2004 at 03:40 PM.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    How far down south east you want to go? Puerto Rico has nice trails at a max drive of 3hrs and I may be able to hook you on a beach apartment in Luquillo.

Sorry, no hut tub here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Try Tsali (great with wife) camp or hotel, Pisgah maybe, and Ocoee area has good trails and has some tubing(whitewater, respectable).

mtbr member

Zion...

Here's my suggestion...since I've done this same thing before with my wife.

Leave from Indy in the AM, stop at Cave Run Lake Ky(about 45min's off I-75 in Lexington) and ride. With 60 miles of trails at Cave there are ton's of options!

Next, get back in the car and travel south on I-75 down to Cumberland Falls(still in KY) and see the falls. You can camp here if you want.

Now head down to North Carolina. I would stop by the Natahala Outdoor Center for some trail advice and maybe take in a meal at Relia's Garden across the river. Relia's has great, fresh food and the Natahala River area is real pretty. You can stay at NOC in a "Youth Hostel" for cheap if you call ahead. Tsali is right near by and should be ridden just to check it off the life list of trails to ride once. Tsali is a fun, easy ride. If you have time rent duckys and run the Natahala River, be sure and make your wife wear a wet suit as the water is VERY cold and crystal clear(48degF in summer).

Next head over to Brevard and hit Dupont. Ride the whole place, its all fun and almost all completely singlespeedable. Dupont is very scenic.

Now comes the hard part....what trails to ride in Pisgah. You'll need help on this question if you plan on only taking your SS, or, just plan on walking alot of climbs as stuff here is steep, rocky and not that friendly to rigid forks and no granny gear. Brevard is a cool little artsy town with nice shops and cafe's.

On the way home if you still need one more ride exit at Berea Kentucky. Ride the S-Tree Trail from top to bottom. The decent is probably the best in KY. You'll want a DH bike, but your SS will work just fine. Ton's of water bar jumps and rocks to dodge. This ride is about 8 miles mostly downhill. Only problem is the way back to the car...prepare for 15 miles of road riding, but the decent is worth it!

Hope that helps.

MC

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta

I live in Indianapolis.

David
    Check out snowshoemtn.com we spend 2 weeks there every year, always something going on too, great hot tubbing and beer

b-boy
    I'm just going to throw this out as a suggestion, but my favorite place to ride in the midwest is the keweenaw peninsula in the upper peninsula of michigan. it may be a little further north than the other suggestions, but the riding is quite nice. between marquette, copper harbor, hancock, and houghton, you have more than enough riding, but you can also take a crapload of mine tours or just check out the small ghost towns of the area. i may be a little partial because i go to college up here, but it is pretty special and a little different than your normal vacation. wherever you go, have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Heading west? Don't pass up eastern Nebraska!

If you find yourselves heading west, don't pass up the FINE riding in eastern Nebraska. Two excellent trails are no more than twenty minutes off of I-80. And you're guaranteed to be satisfied!

1. <a href="http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Nebraska/,Platte,River,State,Park/PRD_168891_4561crx.aspx">Platte River State Park</a> - located between Omaha and Lincoln. One of the finest trails the midwest has to offer. And no, its not flat!! Super fun singletrack maintained by dedicated local riders. 34x20 or 32x20 is the gear of choice for most locals...

2. <a href="http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Nebraska/,Lewis,&,Clark,Monument/PRD_168884_4561crx.aspx">Lewis & Clark Monument</a> Actually located in Iowa, on the outskirts of Council Bluffs. This trail was 100% built by local Omaha riders. Again....NOT flat! 100% sweet singletrack! 34x20 or 32x20.

Other considerations....

To the north, <a href="http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Nebraska/,Ponca,State,Park/PRD_168892_4561crx.aspx">Ponca State Park</a>, near Sioux City, IA...my personal favorite Nebraska trail. Fun, fun singletrack. Good camping. Guaranteed to have the trails to yourselves! Gear down...you'll be climbing a lot! Shameless plug...visit <a href="http://www.deandas.net">De Anda's Mexican Restaurant</a> to refuel after your ride.

To the south, <a href="http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Nebraska/,Indian,Cave,State,Park/PRD_168882_4561crx.aspx">Indian Cave State Park</a>. More goods can be found in the southeast corner of the state. 100% hilly. 100% GOOD!

Safe travels....