What Air pressure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What Air pressure

Ok, it has been pointed out to me that I apparently run a higher air pressure than most.

I am currently using a front shock, but planning on putting a rigid on for a little while.
    I use 40-45 psi. I have not had any trouble with grip. When I run lower pressure, it feels to be a lot slower to me. Kind of like I have a brake rubbing or something. Do I just need some time to get used to it or what?? I know that less pressure is easier on the body and I am all for that!

What do you run and what is your experience?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I think you should give it some time to get used to it.
    On my rigid, I've been swapping tires, and testing different pressures, and I've found that even though the larger tires with less pressure I tried felt sluggish, they did not effect my speed negatively; my trip time was exactly the same, as with more XC racing oriented tires.
    I did however make a couple of climbs I struggled on with the smaller tires, and I definitely took less of a beating.

Oh yeah, to answer the question, right now I'm running 22 lbs in a 2.35 Kenda Kinetic up front, and 24 lbs in a 2.1 Hutchinson Bulldog on the back.
    Last edited by CB2; 10-12-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Combat Wombat
    Can not really say without know what kind of tires your running, how much you weigh and what kind of terrain you are riding.

Brian

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    Ok, it has been pointed out to me that I apparently run a higher air pressure than most.

I am currently using a front shock, but planning on putting a rigid on for a little while.
    I use 40-45 psi. I have not had any trouble with grip. When I run lower pressure, it feels to be a lot slower to me. Kind of like I have a brake rubbing or something. Do I just need some time to get used to it or what?? I know that less pressure is easier on the body and I am all for that!

What do you run and what is your experience?
    I run WTB Exiwolf @ 25 psi and Ignitors @ 20psi. The Exi's are on a Rohloff equipped SIR 9 and the Ignitors are on a One Nine SS.

Lower pressures give you better grip and a smoother ride over the bumps.

What is your ready to ride weight and what tires do you use?

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    My ride weight is 190+ or a little more, depending if I have my camelback on or not.

I ride Michelin Mountain Extreme 2.2 @ 40-45psi. They are a dual compound tire, so they are a little softer tread then normal and grip good.

Indiana/Kentucky forest trail. Not real rocky

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    My ride weight is 190+ or a little more, depending if I have my camelback on or not.

I ride Michelin Mountain Extreme 2.2 @ 40-45psi. They are a dual compound tire, so they are a little softer tread then normal and grip good.

Indiana/Kentucky forest trail. Not real rocky
    40-45 in those tires is way on the high side in my book. High pressure in a high volume tire can make for a bouncy ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hoops - Big and Small

Stop the insanity!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    40-45 in those tires is way on the high side in my book. High pressure in a high volume tire can make for a bouncy ride.
    According to Mr. Bibendum start out at 36 -

I'll suggest down to 30 and up to 40,

Depending on rim and speed of cornering adjust accordingly.

I'am 200 lbs loaded and I tend to run on the high side to help protect my rim.

Since I'am kinda going after Shiggy here - you run Super Juice yet? Impressions?

mtbr member
    On my ss i run about 28-31 pounds in my panaracer fire xc's. If I run any less, I seem to bottom the rim hard on sharp-edged rocks. I only weigh 145 lbs and i try to ride smooth. No doubt lower pressure helps in almost every aspect of riding.

Bend, OR
    40-45 will feel pretty rough if you put a rigid fork on. Its easier, or at least less pinch flat prone, to run lower pressure with tubeless. When I had tubes, I ran about 40psi too, but I had like 400g tires, so I would have ran lower if I could. Don't know if you have tubeless or tubes, but it seems if you run tubes, then you need a fairly heavy tire to prevent pinch's at the lower pressures.
    I can run about 15 in my DH R/F:yay:

Members who have read this thread: 0