Thread: What is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What is it?

Not even sure where to post this. Just built her up. She's definitely an SS so this is as good a place as any, but with those 45C tires maybe a 29er? or is there a cross forum? what about chichi commuter bikes? So what is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

more pics

Clearance on the rear wheel is tight, but I built the wheel straight and true so no rubbing so far. I did have to half link the chain however in order to get the Eno rear hub pointed as far away from the frame as possible...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Some more details on the build: that's a one inch steerer on the fork, freakin pain in the ass to find stems to fit it so I got a spacer on that Salsa number grasping the Nitto moustache bar and Dia Compe 287V levers. The BB is an old school XTR number with the serviceable roller bearings—sweet. The frame is a '97 Wazoo with 853 main tubes that's been sitting around my garage for almost 10 years—I did ride it every now and then but it had a load of Ultegra geary stuff on it. I put 46x19 gears on her because I already had the White 19T and those things are golden so I wasn't about to replace it with somethin else. So far I just rode it to and from work today and I must say I'm quite pleased.

mtbr member
    Badass, that's what it is. Nice.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    it's a cross-framed commuter bike. with tight clearance like that i don't think you can quite claim 29er status. sweet ride pretty much sums it up.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    it's a cross-framed commuter bike. with tight clearance like that i don't think you can quite claim 29er status. sweet ride pretty much sums it up.
    Yea, I'm in socal too so there isn't any great chance I'm gonna ride through any mud any time soon... I have skinnier tires, but they aren't as comfy as these, but they are a lot lighter...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Who cares what category it fits in. It's a freaky-cool singlespeed, and therefore belongs with all the other weird SS setups.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    Not even sure where to post this. Just built her up. She's definitely an SS so this is as good a place as any, but with those 45C tires maybe a 29er? or is there a cross forum? what about chichi commuter bikes? So what is it?
    It's an orange bicycle.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty H
    Who cares what category it fits in. It's a freaky-cool singlespeed, and therefore belongs with all the other weird SS setups.
    yea, it was basically a rhetorical question used to say look at my bike, look at my bike, i need attention. quite sad really...

igoslo

Fartographer

What The??!

Did you get a DUI or something?
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, I gotta burn off all those working lunches, plus 2 weeks in Canada, yikes... gotta get my azz back in shape...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ahhh this makes me want to build up this old ritchey i have laying around...

saaaad

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Looks like the ultimate Leif Erickson cruiser. If you don't happen to live in Portland, OR PM me for shipping instructions so the bike can fully realize its potential.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Looks like the ultimate Leif Erickson cruiser. If you don't happen to live in Portland, OR PM me for shipping instructions so the bike can fully realize its potential.
    I was just in Portland for few day—totally awesome, bikes everywhere...

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I was just in Portland for few day—totally awesome, bikes everywhere...
    Unfortunately a couple of them recently ended up somewhere where they definitely didin't belong.

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Very nice, I think, but if this bike won't see much dirt, you could look for narrower and lower profile rubber and get more clearance at the same time.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Unfortunately a couple of them recently ended up somewhere where they definitely didin't belong.
    That driver deserves a seat post enema...a sideways seatpost enema...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Very nice, I think, but if this bike won't see much dirt, you could look for narrower and lower profile rubber and get more clearance at the same time.
    Absolutely, I have narrower tires, but this initial build was basically just to see if it could be done and have some fun...

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    That driver deserves a seat post enema...a sideways seatpost enema...
    He's looking at at least 7 years, so unless he's the second coming of Chuck Norris I'm guessing that he'll have ample opportunity to fully understand the concept of senseless, deeply invasive violence from the recipient's perspective.

BSNYC

mtbr member
    According to the article, the cyclist's (Mastne) bike was totaled and he doesn't have the $$ to fix/replace it.

That sucks.

Anyone want to start a donation drive?

I'd be willing to kick in some $$.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian
    According to the article, the cyclist's (Mastne) bike was totaled and he doesn't have the $$ to fix/replace it.

That sucks.

Anyone want to start a donation drive?

I'd be willing to kick in some $$.
    Me too, but the vehicle driver's insurance should cover it, assuming he had insurance. Or a civil suit against the driver for bike and medical expenses.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    2 counts of attempted assault!!!??? how about 2 counts of assault and batterry with a deadly weapon. Put that a$$hole in jail.
    the time is right for violent revolution

trail rat
    It is a SS 700c cross commuter = Monster Cross, as suggested. I have a CrossCheck that is set up very similar (about to swap Mungo mustache for Midge drops). I ride it on pavement and dirt roads, plus some double track, out the front door and back! It has more personality than most other bikes, in my not so humble opinion. The more you ride it, the more you will appreciate its versatility.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0