Wet bridges...hmmm...- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Wet bridges...hmmm...

I went out for a ride yesterday with the solid intent of putting in 20-25 miles. The trails were wet and muddy in places but worst of all were the bridges I would say. Most of them were in the shadows, had wet leafs on them, were wood, and not metal mesh.

On two different occassion, I approached the bridges a little too fast. This was largely due to my brakes not slowing me down enough or they locked up. Normally I don't have much of any problems with my BB7's but yesterday they were misbehaving.

The first bridge was only about 10 feet long. I pretty much made it across on to have the front wheel start to slide out from under me w/ about 1 foot to go. Fortunately, the tire rolled off the bridge and caught some solid round and I saved myself.

The second bridge was on my way back maybe 3 miles out from the house. I approached it at an agnle, BAD, but managed to lock the brake up and slide myself straight. I picked the front wheel up to go over the little lip and all was good. When I shifted my weight to get the back wheel on without banging my wheel, the front wheel then slipped...BAM! I was on my left side sliding. Slamed my left elbow into the bridge, then my shoulder and back. My left shin hit something, I am thinking my handle bar or a side rail of the bridge. My right foot never came out of the pedal (frustrating-will discuss that in a minute). As a result i clipped my right acilles (?spelling) on the chainsty=more blood. My shin swelled up within seconds and looked like I had a golf ball sticking out of it w/ blood running down into my sock. Honestly, the shin hurt so bad I could barely bend my leg at the knee.

The bike only suffered some crooked handle bars and my brake lever moved. So, the pedals. Man, lately I have been having problems with my right foot pulling out of them (Frogs). Never happened before. The only difference with them are the cleats. Speedplay changed their clean design a while back and I swapped mine out for some after breaking my originals afew months back. The bottom line is they suck! I love my frogs and never had a problem with them until this season. So the frustrating part is that I pulled my foot out 3 times on the ride prior to my bridge incident but when I need to get out of the damn things...nope, not happening...

So I broke down today and finally bought some new pedals. I jumped on the Egg Beater bandwagon w/ a pair of 3's and picked up a set of ti spindles for them as well. Knowing that my brakes were really getting to me as well and the fact that I have been searching for some new brakes for the past two weeks I also ordered a pair of Elixer CR carbons. And if anyone has been following along, my second new tire should be sitting on my desk in my office when I walk in tomorrow morning.

Hopefully things will all come together throughout this week. For now, it is all about consoling my pride and healing though. Over all, it was a good ride though. I mean I squeeked out 24 miles and drew blood all at the same time. Oh and I learned that no matter how many times I have gone over these bridges and dealt with them being wet/slick, MK tires do not like them AT ALL!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear of all the troubles. Heal well and good luck with everything!

Low Rep Count
    Well, you know Shi7 happens out there and it was just my turn to experience it I guess. I will admit that the bridge that I completely ate it on was so frickn slick that I could barely walk across it after getting up. I would think that mesh would be installed just for the walkers. And to think that I saw three people out there riding their horses!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wet bridges without mesh are scary! The ones that have that velvety greenish texture are the worst. You find out after your laying on it just how slick that crap is!

I cringe whenever I approach one.. I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't think it matters what tire you use. Wet, wooden bridges are always slippery.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2
    '15 Niner SIR 9 SS
    '14 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

Low Rep Count
    I would agree, especially when they have that nice slimy film on them. I mean, I could barely walk across it for crying out loud. Makes me wonder how I made it across it the first time on my way out.

Kaishingo
    My first learning experience on a wet, wooden bridge ended with me hanging from a pedal, laying in a creek upside-down, wondering what the heck just hit me.

15 years later, I still approach all bridges that aren't a straight shot at a very slow speed.

Low Rep Count
    Negative rep strikes again!

Comment left, "Noob mistake" (no sig for who it was mind you)

In my defense...hell, I agree! It was stupid. We all make dumb mistakes and I had crossed this very bridge 5 miles earlier along with about 6 other bridges that I crossed twice (out and back ride) with minimal problems. This one just bit me! Litterally!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla View Post
    My first learning experience on a wet, wooden bridge ended with me hanging from a pedal, laying in a creek upside-down, wondering what the heck just hit me.

15 years later, I still approach all bridges that aren't a straight shot at a very slow speed.
    Oh the angled ones are bad.. When you can't approach them straight on and have to turn slightly, sometimes resulting in riding right off the edge into a jagged rock pile.

Kicker of Elves
    [QUOTE=1SPD;8480617Knowing that my brakes were really getting to me as well and the fact that I have been searching for some new brakes for the past two weeks I also ordered a pair of Elixer CR carbons. [/QUOTE]

Does Mrs. 1SPD know about this? hehe

And what are you going to do with those terrible bb7's????

Low Rep Count
    Well...ummm... actually, my 16 yr anniversary was last Thur and the brakes were pretty much a gift (I was allowed to buy), the pedals on the other hand were an overdue purchase but none the less a splurge.

I will hang on to them as you never know when hydros are going to crap out on you. Then again, I might need some funds to offset the cost of these new parts. I know I talked crap about them but bang for the buck, they are one of the best sets of brakes on the market. I was simply riding in some poor conditions. I got a fair amount of money dumped into those bad boys though between the ti/alu bolts, cables and cnc'd levers. I guess they are about as good as you can get a set of BB7's (though I think XTR or even the speed dial levers will generate a little more braking power due to being stiffer-all but heavier than my set up)