Western NC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Western NC

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Western NC

Next week I'll be in Western NC. Planning on riding Tsali, Dupont and where ever else I can find sweet delicius single track to kick my a$$. I'm bringin my Mono Cog and my wife (she has many gears). Can anyone give me some advice?

How long and steep are the climbs? I'm a flatlander/FIB from ill-nois, so anything taller than 10' is huge to me. Can anyone reccommend some trails for "The Wifey Pooh"

Can anyone reccomend a gear for joe average SSer?

The Mono Cog is totaly rigid (no boingers). Will I survive? Should I wear I cup? The Lynner (my wife) says purple helmets are no good for making babies!
    bus driver wanna be

get down!
    Sugar Mountain
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    Next week I'll be in Western NC. Planning on riding Tsali, Dupont and where ever else I can find sweet delicius single track to kick my a$$. I'm bringin my Mono Cog and my wife (she has many gears). Can anyone give me some advice?

How long and steep are the climbs? I'm a flatlander/FIB from ill-nois, so anything taller than 10' is huge to me. Can anyone reccommend some trails for "The Wifey Pooh"

The Mono Cog is totaly rigid (no boingers). Will I survive? Should I wear I cup? The Lynner (my wife) says purple helmets are no good for making babies!
    You'll be fine in Tsali and Dupont on the SS. Pisgah near Brevard has the steeper stuff.

Check out http://www.mtbikewnc.com/ for good info. Enjoy and post pictures.

Your wife will like Bridal veil falls in Dupont.

32x19 or 20 IMO, but I"m a big guy with a penchant for barley and hops.

Tim
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast

I did a writeup on my singlespeed trip down to pisgah a week ago. it's in the passion section. search for 'pisgah' or 'seven days in pisgah'

i went to dupont(much smaller hills than pisgah!) but mostly stayed in pisgah since it fit the bill for the riding i was there for. It's pretty tough on a singlespeed and if you arent used to hills it might be painful. i'm used to hills and it was painful sometimes... 34/21 is what i ran. i'm not sure what it would be like below that because i didnt even consider it even though i brought down to an 18T with me. the hills are really long sometimes and a few trails are VERY steep with lots of obstacles. dont worry about spinning out you are very rarely on flat ground. i was debating rigid but luckily chose to put a fox fork on. had i not i would've ended up with a demo bike. it's just not feasible for how i rode down there(really fast on descents that had tons of drops, etc and more than 8 hours a day.)

i can't comment on tsali i didnt go there but from what i've heard a rigid and 2:1 would be fine there. dupont would be tolerable although some suspension up front would be advised. pisgah i wouldn't even consider rigid unless you are total [email protected] trying to prove something or are only going to ride for 2 or so hours. the descents would be incredibly painful unless you go sloowwww and that defeats the purpose, in my opinion, of climbing the hills down there! don't get me wrong you can definitely ride pisgah and dupont rigid i just think it would be much more enjoyable on the descents with some squishy love.

hot like a box of fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    pisgah i wouldn't even consider rigid unless you are total [email protected] trying to prove something or are only going to ride for 2 or so hours. the descents would be incredibly painful unless you go sloowwww and that defeats the purpose, in my opinion, of climbing the hills down there! don't get me wrong you can definitely ride pisgah and dupont rigid i just think it would be much more enjoyable on the descents with some squishy love.

speaking of total [email protected], here is what Endless Bike's Marshall Hance rode in the Pisgah Death March (fifty+ miles) to come in top 5!