Well, that was a pretty cheap SS Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Well, that was a pretty cheap SS Conversion

I've been researching the possibility of converting my old Karakoram HT to SS and so I did a bit of poking around here and found this thread about how to do it cheap.

Well I decided to do it today and it turned out pretty darn cheap. Zero. Nada. Zippo.

It looks kinda ghetto but I figured I'd ride it like this a bit and see if I even like the whole SS thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Justice = No Peace

Gear choices

You could split that cassette and use one of the cogs with PVC spacers.. It might tidy up your chain line, and it would definitely look a lot cleaner. I'm guessing the PVC would cost you about a buck (you might have to buy a full 12") Is that in the budget?

Nice looking bike, actually. Like the KTM in the background too.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

E !

Heya!

You got right on that. Let's get a ride report here. Then i'm sure you'll be cleaning it up!
    the - E - dog

Just Give'r!
    way to go, man! you definitely pulled it off! my prediction is this-you'll try it out, get totally hooked, come down with a severe case of 'upgrade-itis' and grind down the big ring, get some freewheel bling, set up the perfect line, and eventually you'll want to get a SS-specific frame. Welcome, friend.

elbow gloves

nice jugs

cool bike too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    You got right on that. Let's get a ride report here. Then i'm sure you'll be cleaning it up!
    Yeah, I had a few extra hours Friday afternoon with nothing else to do, so I figured I'd see how far I could get. I pulled off the deraileurs, put on my old Fox Fork, adjusted the V-brakes and hooked up the chain. I got lucky with the 32x17 ratio. The chain spun right on with perfect tension. I had to true the rear wheel abit so the V's wouldn't rub and tweak the deraileur hanger/dropout a bit to get the wheel lined up, but the chain line looks pretty true where's it at.

I went on my first ride today. We still have a bunch of snow from Sunday's storm with frozen slush so off-road wasn't much fun without snow studs (I about went down a couple of times), so I cruised around town hitting a few stairs and vacant lots, etc. It was fun. I think I missed my rear suspension and disc brakes more than the extra gears. I'm spoiled I guess.

One interesting phenomenon I noticed happened when spinning at a higher cadence the seat/rearend would start to bounce. If I really concentrated on smoothing out my circles I could reduce it. What's that all about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    You could split that cassette and use one of the cogs with PVC spacers.. It might tidy up your chain line, and it would definitely look a lot cleaner. I'm guessing the PVC would cost you about a buck (you might have to buy a full 12") Is that in the budget?

Nice looking bike, actually. Like the KTM in the background too.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'll have to see if this LX cassette is easliy split and I guess I could spare the buck for the PVC.... but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra hours (yes, hours. I'm a horribly slow mechanic) doing it until I know I want to keep it this way. In fact, I'll probably get the Gunner 1ER conversion kit instead. I'm all about simple.

The fact that I could do this all without leaving my garage or buying anything was kind of appealing. I felt a little like Tom Hanks in Cast Away when he finally got a fire going. "I have created Single Speed!! I have created Single Speed!!"
    Last edited by KRob; 01-07-2006 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    nice jugs. cool bike too.
    Thanks. The jugs are for our trailer trash Christmas luminaries we do each year. They actually look kinda cool in a dorky, ghetto kinda way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What Would Happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    One interesting phenomenon I noticed happened when spinning at a higher cadence the seat/rearend would start to bounce. If I really concentrated on smoothing out my circles I could reduce it. What's that all about?
    That would be you bouncing on your seat, because you cant spin perfect circles just yet
    Road riders tend to spend time on fixed gears to learn how to get their circles down pat.

Nice looking ride, by the way.
    five minutes to live

mtbr member
    Jesus Christ...you had to take a pic in front of the Beemer, didn't you? Singlespeeding used to be cool when it wasn't so freaking mainstream. A lot of riders rode ss as a way of saying F U to the norm. Now it's just another fad that the yuppies have coopted.

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkymutt
    Jesus Christ...you had to take a pic in front of the Beemer, didn't you? Singlespeeding used to be cool when it wasn't so freaking mainstream. A lot of riders rode ss as a way of saying F U to the norm. Now it's just another fad that the yuppies have coopted.

I'm really hoping that's sarcasm and I'm just a little slow on the uptake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jace
    I'm really hoping that's sarcasm and I'm just a little slow on the uptake.
    Take it how you like it. Look around and I think you'll find more than one rider out there that's tired of the singlespeed fad. And don't give me that "just keepin' it real, bro" crap. I'm so freakin sick of hearing every dumbass yuppie with money to blow talk about their "blingy singlespeed", or "man, the wife's going to kill me when she finds out how much I spent on my upgrades", "it made me feel like a kid again", or "I'm hooked - I'll never ride a softtail again - I'm a convert!" That ****'s about as old as dirt and more cliche than your K Swiss shoes and Izod shirt. Singlespeeding's sold out.

ballbuster

So only yuppies...

... drive beamers?

Especially 10 year old (or more) beamers? Look, go back to high school and beat up the stoners/bloods/dweebs/jocks/rednecks/drama freaks if you wanna put people in boxes.

Us adults are busy riding.

What's wrong with yuppies, anyway? So an education and a good job makes you a bad person?

kung food
    Singlespeeding's sold out.
    I can't decide which is funnier: tragically ironic elitism or considering a two decade old vehicle worth less than half the price of any new car a bourgeois totem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Us adults are busy riding.
    HAHA! LMAO!!! I guess you told me, huh?

Ruffled your feathers a little? Don't like a dissenting opinion? Is that because you're an ultra-positive, stand up for the little guy, Christ Rocks kind of guy...or is it because you just recently paid $2K for a singlespeed and are so pissed that someone dare challenge you and throw a monkey wrench in your "extreme sport" ticket to coolness? Did you lash out because you felt threatened?

I bet you drive an SUV, have a ponytail, and paid $200 for Jones bars so you could look different.

Isn't a forum a place to offer up different points of view? Or are you just sheeple?

kung food
    or is it because you just recently paid $2K for a singlespeed and are so pissed
    Numerous members of this board are happy to spend that sum on but a frame.

I bet you drive an SUV, have a ponytail, and paid $200 for Jones bars so you could look different.
    What need is there for broad, baseless insults?

Isn't a forum a place to offer up different points of view? Or are you just sheeple?
    Opinions are most welcome. Inflammatory, uneducated, and mirthless diatribes are not.

mtbr member
    You're right. I'm an as5hole.

Way to flex that vocabulary, btw. You must be wizard at Scrabble, huh?

mtbr member
    Now it's just another fad that the yuppies have coopted.
    That's funny. While what you say about some who've jumped on the SS bandwagon may be true, I don't think it applies here. That's my college age son's 1987 635CSI that he just bought for less than many spend on a new bike. He's about as far from being yuppy as you I suspect...(His other car is a 1973 Super Beetle). Besides, I don't know any yuppies who'd be seen dead in that car. Come to think about it, I don't know any yuppies, period. This is rural Nevada for crying out loud.

My zero dollar SS conversion was mostly motivated by curiosity, the need to get a spare bike up and running (I'd lent this bike to a friend who trashed the fork and the rear deraileur and bent the hanger so far backwards it was horizontal to the ground), the fact that I'm a total cheapscate and, OK I'll admit it, the need to be like everyone else.

KRob----------------> Lemming Uberdork

mtbr member
    Hey, don't go all serious and informative in your posts just yet. I think we all need to laugh at the ironic reverse snobbery of the smelly dog.

Better yet, post pictures of Ellsworth and Gary Fisher single-speed conversions, sitting in front of Hummers and Porsches. With any luck, our resident preacher of 'keeping it real' will have an aneurism.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Cool Bimmer

That's my college age son's 1987 635CSI that he just bought for less than many spend on a new bike.
    I drove a hand me down '82 633 csi in college, hasn't been a yuppy car in a long time, but definately a classic. Traded mine in for $800 toward the purchase of my Tachoma almost two years ago. It was kinda like having worn out 20 year old deore parts, they were cool once...

Oh yea, the SS build is cool too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

sounds like someone feels a bit threatened...

hey stinkymutt, the only thing more pathetic than your clinging to a desperate attempt at "rejecting the mainstream" is attacking anyone else who you fear is entering your self-declared private domain. my first car was a saab. what a super-yuppie I was. paid $400 for it, had to hold the steering wheel at 2 o'clock due to a broken tie-ride that I couldn't afford to fix. oh yeah, here comes the super yuppie - that's what everyone said about me back in the day. well I did have a cyclopro strapped to the roof and this was 1984, maybe everyone was jealous of my $200 bike?

Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Hey, don't go all serious and informative in your posts just yet. I think we all need to laugh at the ironic reverse snobbery of the smelly dog.

Better yet, post pictures of Ellsworth and Gary Fisher single-speed conversions, sitting in front of Hummers and Porsches. With any luck, our resident preacher of 'keeping it real' will have an aneurism.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll probably get the Gunner 1ER conversion kit instead.
    i'd recommend that for the simple reason thatleaving a ramped cog on the back might be askin for a chain derailment at the least opportune moment.

it is so sweet it worked with a nice magic gear!

and stinkymutt, singlespeeding has indeed sold out so leave it to us bm'er driving yuppies (actually i have an 84 merecedes sedan, and consider myslef quite the yuppie ) and leave us the F*CK alone...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

TROLL? or preaching to the wrong crowd

Take it how you like it. Look around and I think you'll find more than one rider out there that's tired of the singlespeed fad. And don't give me that "just keepin' it real, bro" crap. I'm so freakin sick of hearing every dumbass yuppie with money to blow talk about their "blingy singlespeed", or "man, the wife's going to kill me when she finds out how much I spent on my upgrades", "it made me feel like a kid again", or "I'm hooked - I'll never ride a softtail again - I'm a convert!" That ****'s about as old as dirt and more cliche than your K Swiss shoes and Izod shirt. Singlespeeding's sold out.
    I think he is a troll trying to get a reaction... but just in case you are serious:

I think that the majority of the people who post here are NOT yuppies, and DID NOT spend $2k on a SS. I persoally spent about $600 building one from the ground up more as a fun expiriment than anything, and ended up liking the challenge of riding SS in the end.

I think that the impression that the BLINGLESPEED is the norm is that all of us ('cept maybe you) enjoy looking at high end bikes, and therefore people enjoy posting their new rig for all to see.

It takes a certain enthusiast to spend that kind of money ($2k+) on a bike (read: the kind of enthusiast that will typically post endless messages on an internet board), and that is why I think a lot of people feel like everyone has blinglespeeds.

If you actually have this attitude, I am sorry for you. Don't rain on someone elses parade because you are bitter. Many people enjoy this sport, and unfortunately for you this removes the "rebellious" feel it must have once had. To quote many a wise poster... pick up mtn. unicycling instead... I think it will be a while before that catches on.

ballbuster

Bzzzzzzt!

HAHA! LMAO!!! I guess you told me, huh?

Ruffled your feathers a little? Don't like a dissenting opinion? Is that because you're an ultra-positive, stand up for the little guy, Christ Rocks kind of guy...or is it because you just recently paid $2K for a singlespeed and are so pissed that someone dare challenge you and throw a monkey wrench in your "extreme sport" ticket to coolness? Did you lash out because you felt threatened?

Thank you for playing.

I ride a 1990 rigid Trek 9500 Singlespeed (along with 5 other bikes, mostly cheapo builds but one Stumpy FSR-XC) built from Swap meet parts and stuff from Aosty's garage sale, with flat bars, not Jones bars. Total build price, about $120.

I don't drive an SUVB, I drive a 1996 VW GTi with 168k miles on it, prolly worth about $1800.... and my check engine light is stuck on. My computer tells me I have a lean mixture condition, but I can't figure out what is causing it. Prolly the fuel tank evap system.

I own my house, which is why I'm broke, but I'm rich in personality and character... at least I like to think so.

My hair is cut pretty short. I have really bushy hair, and when it grows out, it becomes a football helmet and looks silly.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to put down others, go ahead. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. Just like me. I'm entitled to my opinion that you are a judgemental bigoted dufus. I developed this opinion of you in only one day and two posts. You're good!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-09-2006 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jesus Christ....you people need to calm the hell down. Sounds like I struck a nerve on this one. Some of you are out for blood now. Jesus, Pimpbot, didja need to vent a little or what!? Nobody's threatening you so stop taking everything so seriously, people.

mtbr member
    Oh, stinkymutt, you're so cute. You fling poo (you posers ), then whine when others fling it back (calm down! ). It must be so hard being so misunderstood!

mtbr member

Hope

You're right...it's all my fault. Sorry I flung poo. You make me want to be a better person. Hallelujah!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

you're crackin me up you troll

I hope yer laughing about your cute little trolling hijinks. you're a pretty funny guy after all. just took me awhile to appreciate the quickness of your wit

You're right...it's all my fault. Sorry I flung poo. You make me want to be a better person. Hallelujah!

ballbuster

Dude is a heat seeker

Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    I hope yer laughing about your cute little trolling hijinks. you're a pretty funny guy after all. just took me awhile to appreciate the quickness of your wit
    He prolly goes around to all the boards and says something inflamitory, then gets a huge woody about everybody making a fuss over him, then spanks it while thinking of his overbearing mother.

The point of my response was that he was trying to typecast everybody, and his pigeonholing of krob and myself was soooo world class way off the mark it made me roll on the floor. Maybe he should get to know people before passing judgement on his fellow riders.

Not only was it a swing and a miss, it was a swing and a miss with a bat flung into the bleachers knocking out a 4 year old girl.

I'll bet pot brownies to poundcake he responds this, because he has to have the last word.

We're waiting....

Oh, and krob, nice convert. I hope you like SSing. I do, but the hills on my regular ride are too fricking straight up, so I don't get a lot of use out of it. I ride a rigid SS, but secretly want to add a suspension fork. The 2.3 tire up front, even at 25 psi is just not enough cushion, and my wrists kill be after every ride. My 1" head tube makes it hard to find a suspension fork in decent shape without spending real money on it. That, and the head angle is already pretty slack, and a taller fork would just mess it up even more.

On a side note, one of my regular SSable areas is totally washed out. China Camp got hit hard with these last storms. So did Tamarancho.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-11-2006 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member

Yea! It's all about me me..... mostly.

Oh, and krob, nice convert. I hope you like SSing. I do, but the hills on my regular ride are too fricking straight up, so I don't get a lot of use out of it.
    Finally, this thread comes back to being about me.I'm a pathetic uberdork attention seeker.

Yeah, I don't know how much I'll use this one because by main summer trails are like that too... Long steep climb, followed by fast screaming descent. It's been fun to kick around the lowlands on it in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpot
    I ride a rigid SS, but secretly want to add a suspension fork.
    I'm not so hard core as to get rid of the the Fox Fork. When I got a Talas for my HH this one became an extra... so it was good to put it to use. It does slacken the HA out abit making it a bit floppy on climbing switchbacks (this bike was designed around a 63mm fork) and it would be nice if it had a lock out for standing and hammering (plenty of that while SSing), but I like the cushioning.

Ha!!!!

He prolly goes around to all the boards and says something inflamitory, then gets a huge woody about everybody making a fuss over him, then spanks it while thinking of his overbearing mother.

The point of my response was that he was trying to typecast everybody, and his pigeonholing of krob and myself was soooo world class way off the mark it made me roll on the floor. Maybe he should get to know people before passing judgement on his fellow riders.

Not only was it a swing and a miss, it was a swing and a miss with a bat flung into the bleachers knocking out a 4 year old girl.

I'll bet pot brownies to poundcake he responds this, because he has to have the last word.

We're waiting....
    You just made me spit beer on my keyboard.... I think it almost came out of my nose. That was good... Unfortunately, probably true too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    another GT singlespeed.

i did the same thing with my avalanche and rode it like that for about a month before springing...

$20 for a gusset rear kit
    $15 for a nashbar bashguard
    $35 (ouch!!!) for can creek brake levers (had combo shifters/levers)

i'd never take a picture of it in front of my yellow ford escort or everyone will know i'm a dirty little sell-out whore too!

mtbr Decade+
    I don't drive an SUVB, I drive a 1996 VW GTi with 168k miles on it, prolly worth about $1800.... and my check engine light is stuck on. My computer tells me I have a lean mixture condition, but I can't figure out what is causing it. Prolly the fuel tank evap system.
    I find I have to replace my O2 sensor every 75,000 Km, I'd say you're due for oxygen sensor #4. For God sakes, buy Bosch!

That or you've got an injector plugged...could cause a lean mixture in one cylinder.

Running lean is actually much better than running rich; I ran rich in a 1988 Golf for about 20,000 km - wore a major amount of cylinder wall away. She was never the same after that.

Take care,
    Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0