Well that didn't take long!- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Bonking ... not feelin' well Well that didn't take long!

Well, without looking back into things, I am guessing that I have had my new wheels on the bike for about a month, maybe 1.5 months tops! So far they have been great. I love the loudness of the Hopes. The Ikon tires roll fast yet still provide pleanty of traction. Tubeless on a Stans rim works great. The Sapim spokes are awesome. Pulling all the logos off the rims really made them look alot cleaner/stealthy like. But all things come to an end!

Through a series of unfortunate events...basically ricocheting between a couple of trees after getting bounced into the first one off either a rock or root resulted in a bent front rim and rotor! Not a single broken spoke though two of them are pretty bent up from my foot going into the wheel. I managed to not slam directly into a tree but when I grabbed hold of it with my left arm, my left foot popped out of the pedal, the bars spun and my foot went into the wheel as I was starting to go up onto the front wheel. I eventually just fell over with nothing hurt other than my pride and in the end my wallet!

I now have a nice 8-10" stretch of capillary bleeding on my left forearm and bicep but other than that, no damage to my body. Hell, I didn't even draw blood. So I guess I am lucky on that part of it. But the down side is that the front wheel will need to be rebuilt at this point.

My friend Craig that just happens to own Germantown Bikes was out on the same group ride last night (with a different paced group mind you) so I handed the wheel off to him when he got back to the trail head. He probably wont get to it until the middle of next week but he does have a Crest rim hanging at the shop so I suspect that by the end of next week the wheel will be done. Looks like we can reuse the spokes at this point as well but we will have to see.

So today when I get home, I will be spending some quality time taking the bike apart and celaning it up really well. I really need to examine the fork closely. I mean, I am guessing that either my foot hit the rotor or the wheel started to pop out of the dropout in order for the rotor to have gotten bent the way it did. Right now I am just hoping that the fork is still good to go as I don't know where the money is going to come from to replace it at the moment. So keep your fingers crossed.

So much for the bike being done and finished!!

The need for singlespeed
    So you have to ride your backup WI wheelset now? SO SAD!!!

Glad you're ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    it happens. :-) the good thing is that you're OK.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, so sad!
    Seriously, I was actually happy about that. I mean, I am happy that I have a backup wheelset and can still ride. Hell, that was the only thing that was keeping me from crying about it all.

I will have to swap out the KCNC rotor that is on the WI wheel as it is thinner and I get alot more play in the XTR levers w/ them than I do the Ashima's that are on the Hope build. I still have some brand new Avid G2's that came with my Elixer's that I never used so I will just throw one of them on it for now and roll with it.

I will also have to deal with having the Bronson tire on the front. Pretty knobby tire for the dry conditions we are seeing out ont he trails right now. But hey, I can ride so I'm not complaining about that at all.

Really, only upset that I blew out a brand new front wheel and have to pay for it again!

Low Rep Count
    Glad to be ok but my co-pay is only $35! Wheel rebuild with rim, labor, rotor is going to be about $170! Then again, I could have really got screwed up if I had hit that second tree so it's all good!

Gonna head out for a quick road ride in Rock Creek park now! I hear it is super hot out there so I guess I will just tool along in the shade for a light spin. Hopefully nothing happens to that bike since it's not mine!!!

The need for singlespeed
    Have you looked into bike insurance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i feel your pain; a branch ripped a spoke out of my rim last night only 2 rides after i had it in the shop replacing it's last broken spoke (not a broken spoke this time the nipple pulled out from the rims eyelet, never done that before).

unfortunatley unlike you i have no backup wheel so i'll be sweating it out in my garage tonight trying to replace the spoke and get it straight enough to ride for a while again hopefully this weekend. i suspect this rim is getting closer and closer to toast however the more times i finish a ride on it with broke spokes. luckily it is only a front wheel and therefore doesn't get the crazy abuse the rear one does.

could be lazy and just wait for the heat to break if i had some backup wheelz.

I ride with tools
    Sorry about your crash and the damage to your bike and your body. At least it wasn't worse. And now you'll have a good story to tell over later post-ride beers. As a former friend of mine says, "crashing is just part of the fun!".

Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I love the loudness of the Hopes.
    I've never understood this. I love a silent singlespeed. I have Hope Pro 2 hubs on my geared Turner and they have performed extremely well. I wanted to give my business to Hope for my latest SS build, but they are too noisy for my taste. I went with the DT Swiss 240 and love the quiet-ness of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This made me giggle:

...I love the loudness of the Hopes....Pulling all the logos off the rims really made them look alot cleaner/stealthy like.
    Hope and stealthy should never be used together... ever. I don't even need to announce my presence when approaching someone from the rear. I just backpedal a few times and people start looking around for helicopters and airplanes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    I've never understood this. I love a silent singlespeed. I have Hope Pro 2 hubs on my geared Turner and they have performed extremely well. I wanted to give my business to Hope for my latest SS build, but they are too noisy for my taste. I went with the DT Swiss 240 and love the quiet-ness of them.
    Headphones are louder... just sayin'

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    This made me giggle:

Hope and stealthy should never be used together... ever. I don't even need to announce my presence when approaching someone from the rear. I just backpedal a few times and people start looking around for helicopters and airplanes.
    Yeh, an advantage with the I9 hubs too. Better than a bell imo Some people get spooked and think I am an attack rattle snake though..

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    This made me giggle:

I don't know what I was thinking when I said that! I totally agree and even giggled myself when rereading it. But you know what I mean, "blacked" out if you will. None the less it was pretty funny.

I too simply coast or back pedal to get peoples attention now days.

Members who have read this thread: 0