The weigh in . . .- Mtbr.com
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

The weigh in . . .

Trying to find a weight balance (without buying a new bike). Two question poll . . .

1. What does your bike weigh?

2. What tire size and weight do you run?

Currently: 31lb Surly Instegator, 2.35 Kenda Navagal tires, 780g each.

I just switched out from 2.1 IRC Mythos tires which sucked, but they were light. Should I stick with the heavier tires (I hope to get used to them) or am I pushing too much weight for a ss?

I'm interested in seeing what other ss'ers are weighting in at.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride a rigid 1FG, hope/xc717 wheels, XTR cranks.

Bike weight 19lbs, tyres are Continental cross country 1.5 at 390 grams.

You can probably work out that I am an XC gayboy who prefers speed over comfort!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    You can probably work out that I am an XC gayboy who prefers speed over comfort![/QUOTE]

Pain over comfort . . . OUCH! I'm hurtin just thinking about your ride. Must be FAST!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    You can probably work out that I am an XC gayboy who prefers speed over comfort!
    Pain over comfort . . . OUCH! I'm hurtin just thinking about your ride. Must be FAST![/QUOTE]

I recently tried some Conti Verticals to see what the comfort difference was and it wasn't that noticable, but the sluggish feel of them was, especially up the hills.

The cross countries are fantastic in the mud, which is mostly what I am riding on at the moment.

French for "Suck"
    1. Spicer EBB, around 25 lbs.
    2. 2.3 Weirwolf in the front, 2.2 Mutano Raptor in the rear. I have no idea on the wieghts of those.

Took it for it's first trail ride today. I managed to do a bunch of rollers, and even a drop for the first time. Very fun.

The Top Cap Guy
    #1 - Spicer Ti EBB = 19lbs (was at 18 with Schwalbe Fast Freds and Ti Fork, etc)

#2 - The 19lb set up includes Hutchinson UST Python 2.0's

It's rigid and my main moutain ride.

FF
    Last edited by Fast Freddy; 01-08-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

In FTF We Trust
    Man, you guys are killin' me. I've got a XL Sycip Diesel with an EBB, disc specific, King SS Disc hubs, Hayes Mag discs, Rock Shox Psylo Race fork painted to match the frame, WTB Speedisc rims, Tioga Factory XC 1.95 tires, Thomson seatpost and stem, etc. and it comes in at about 26 or 27 lbs. It's a sweet ride but it seems like it's 2 or 3 lbs. more than it should be?
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Man, you guys are killin' me. I've got a XL Sycip Diesel with an EBB, disc specific, King SS Disc hubs, Hayes Mag discs, Rock Shox Psylo Race fork painted to match the frame, WTB Speedisc rims, Tioga Factory XC 1.95 tires, Thomson seatpost and stem, etc. and it comes in at about 26 or 27 lbs. It's a sweet ride but it seems like it's 2 or 3 lbs. more than it should be?

Sounds like a sweet ride. If I did my ss all over again, I'd love to rig up a Sycip. (I am not a fan of the Psylo) Your built weight of 26/27 lbs makes me think I'm aight with my set up. Those with sub 20 lb bikes are into something a bit different than "normal" riders, if that exists. I'm no racer and I have my 6.6 lb frame as light as I can get it with excaption to the tires and fork right now. Sure is fun on the down hills and gives some good confidence on the techy stuff. I'm just not liking the additional rotational weight.

This is a broad ranging set of questions. Even in the ss world, there are so many different riding styles. Thanks for the post, your ride and setup is what I am trying to compare against. I am leaning towards a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal at 680g.

Any other 2.1 tire suggestions?

mtbr member

96 klein pulse

22-23 lbs klein pulse frame with manitou six fork (P.O.S. ~200 retail) v brakes, flite ti seat, thudbuster, race face turbine crankset, ss eggbeaters, crappy stock bontrager wheelset with deore level hubs (pvc spacers/single cog/half link in chain for "magic gear ratio" that is piano wire tight) and specialized roll-x 2.0 tires that I think are about 550-600g.

mtbr member
    1. 23.5 pounds (Dean Colonel/Kelly fork)

2. WTB MotoRaptor Race 2.4 front and 2.14 rear

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    18 pound kona ti. eno wheels. pace fork. 2.1 hutchinson tubeless tires blah blah

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Mines a Pig, but a fun Pig!

but i tend to break light bikes
    28.7lbs Banshee Scirocco frame with Pike team, Avid mech brakes, , Race Face turbine crankset, Mallet Ms, RF Diabolus Stem, Easton Scandium DH bar, DeeMax rims, Soulcraft convert, Endless cog, Salsa ring, Thomson post, Rocket V saddle,

Kenda Nevegals UST 2.1 tires

SUBLIM8er
    My 2.1 26er tire pics: Front- Schwalbe Racing Ralph- 480ish? Rear- Hutch. Python -480ish? Both work great with Stans. These are not good wet or loose stuff tires. The Racing Ralph hooks up amazingly well in the corners on drypack. The Pythons roll fast and have decent grip for such a fast rolling tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    24.5 k2 3.0 ZED. panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 f and r. surly fork, no chain tensioner, no carbon fiber allowed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    28 lb inbread 2.3 klein death grips or 2.25 geax sturdy in rear and 2.1 kenda klondik studded in front
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

viva la v-brakes!
    This is a broad ranging set of questions. Even in the ss world, there are so many different riding styles. Thanks for the post, your ride and setup is what I am trying to compare against. I am leaning towards a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal at 680g.

Any other 2.1 tire suggestions?
    Depends mostly on your terrain, or so I say. I like Panaracer Dart/Smoke 2.1's, only about 600 grams each, tons of grippyness for rough, loose conditions. Also try some lighter tubes.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Independent Fabs Steel Deluxe/Fox Vanilla fork/Truvativ Stylos crankset/Phil Wood hubs-517rims/Nokian NBX 2.3 folding tires (650gm)

Total weight = 20.5 lbs

I'm into comfort and performance rather than trying to save weight. Otherwise I could easily hit 18 lbs. I figure I'd still struggle up the hills just as much.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

1fg

My 1fg started as a cheap light build balance at 22.5 but I switched to my King rihnolight wheelset with 2.4 Racing Ralph (555g) in the back and a 2.5 Diesel (720g) in the front both with 25psi whiched bumped it to 24.5 and it rides much better. The 2.4 RR is more like a 2.25 with very low knobs and it dosn't lean in corner well but it digs well in a strait line and rolls nice. The Diesel is better in the back too but it's a true 2.5 and rolls O.K.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Steelman Manzanita 18"
    White Bros XC-4 (from '01)
    Shimano XT discs (1st gen.)
    Middleburn RS-7 cranks, 180mm
    Velocity VXC/Paul Word and Fhub
    Morati bar/stem and post
    Hutchinson 2.3 Spyder front, 2.3 New Python rear (both Air Lite)
    Crank Bros Eggbeaters

Total weight: 24 pounds

Not bad for a "heavy" steel frame .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bianchi B.U.S.S., 22.5 lbs of bling!

specialized roller pro, 770g, 2.3" (front), spec. eduro pro, 600g, 2.2" (rear)

mtbr member
    I have the On One Inbred (stock, rigid) and without pedals (using a digital bathroom scale) it weighs 24lbs. The tires are Exiwolf (front) and NanoRaptor (back), which are medium weight (600-700g range). The pedals and a lighter saddle will bring the bike to a 24.3lbs weight. Not super light, but fine for my purposes. My geared FS bike is 25.6lbs, but the Fuel 98 is 4 times more expensive. The wheels alone would reduce the Inbred by 1.5 lbs.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    XL Diesel w/ eccentric hub/racer x front. 517's Campy ti post, brooks b17, xt 180's (5arm) P2 fork Syncros stem/Ti riser, Mallat pedals. 2.25 Geax Sedonas which are fat 2.25's @620grams each Bike is 22.5lbs. And comfortable beyond reality
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

viva la v-brakes!
    finally got my new SS built up, so I can chime in with a weight.

Salsa Ala Carte w/ White Ind. eccentric hub, Kelly rigid fork, rims, cranks, etc. Tires are Tioga DH 2.3 in the back and a wire beaded WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front (both pretty worn out). Bike weight (bathroom scale): 22.5 lbs.

I think I could easily drop some weight when I get some new tires in a couple months, thinking of Mutanoraptor 2.4 in the rear and the new Weirwolf 2.55 up front. Those and some lighter tubes should save me a pound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    MUDBATS 29" SS nicely equiped 20.5 lbs ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    '93 Diamondback TrueTemper OXIII, Sid Worldcup 55mm travel, Discs, Conti Explorer/Twister Supersonics, 20.8 lbs. Blah, Blah...

Shane

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Salsa Ala Carte w/ White Ind. eccentric hub, Kelly rigid fork, rims, cranks, etc. Tires are Tioga DH 2.3 in the back and a wire beaded WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front (both pretty worn out). Bike weight (bathroom scale): 22.5 lbs.

Congrats on the new rig . . . got any rides in yet? I look forward to a post ride report!

Why such big tires? I am currently running Kenda-Nevegal 2.35 @680g per tire and thinking I could save a little weight. I ride hard and huck my ss, but I have no preformance complaints over 2.3 tires.

viva la v-brakes!
    Congrats on the new rig . . . got any rides in yet? I look forward to a post ride report!

Why such big tires? I am currently running Kenda-Nevegal 2.35 @680g per tire and thinking I could save a little weight. I ride hard and huck my ss, but I have no preformance complaints over 2.3 tires.
    The Salsa has been my geared bike for 6 years. I'm getting a new geared bike, so in reality I get two new bikes... the Salsa as the "new" singlespeed too. Rode it yesterday and it rides like the Salsa always has (nice), except with a rigid fork: much better then my old SS frame. I have some BB/chain line issues to resolve, but nothing big. The WI eccentric hub seems to be working well, I can run 34x19 for the trail and 34x15 for the street (though I can't use the brakes with the latter set up).

The terrain around here (Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ) is rocky and loose. Big tires improve both traction and squish factor.

Members who have read this thread: 0