The weekly "what bike should I get?" post- Mtbr.com
    Gone riding
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... The weekly "what bike should I get?" post

O.K - let me have it, but I've run out of ideas.

I'm after a bike for trailriding and a general thrashing/playing about machine. I'll be running it fully rigid, and I'm easy as far as horizontal or vertical droupouts. I normally ride a 19" hardtail, bit I'm after something around 16" with a decent seatpost for a bit more chuckablility.

Originally I was going to buy a trials bike rather then a new SS, but I realised the only "trials" I really do is in my head, and all I need is something to drop off walls and plant on top off picnic tables.....

After seeing the photos of Andy on his Santa Cruz lizard I thought I had made up my mind, and from the pics I've seen thats the kind of riding I want to do on mine, but when I looked further the price tag here in Australia for a Lizard frightened the hell out of me.

So what do you reckon??

Cheers Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 05-03-2004 at 01:12 AM. Reason: fixed up post

mtbr member
    the Chameleon.......i'm sure others will say the Surly Instigator, but i think the seat tube is too long (not enough standover). in my opinion, you won't be able to get a frame that will do well in 24hr events, while being beef enough to do drops/general thrashing with. but.....that's my opinion.

if'n you do decide on a trials bike, i've got a Zebdi MKV (frame and other bits) that i'm looking to get rid of.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Just edited out that 12hr - 24hr bit - I realised thats not what I'd really be using it for anyway - thats what my XC bike is for!

Unfortunately the Chamelon is out of my budget range here in Aus. I'm definiately after a play bike, Something that can take a little bit of abuse, but not a dirtjumper, and nothing too heavy.

I know many purists would laugh,or possibly even cry, but a mate of mine got his hands on a cheap Trek a while back (I think it's the first or second model in their range with an aluminium frame) and stripped it, gave it the SS treatment, and put a rigid fork on it. It turned out to be a really, really fun bike, but unfortunately you have to buy the whole bike, just to get the frame.

A rough build kit would be:

Bars: 2" + rise, and nice and wide

Stem: Raceface System

Headset: either aireal industries, or a FSA pig

Cranks: old LX, or some RF prodigy cranks I have doing nothing

Wheelset: Rhyno Lite (or equivilent strength Mavics) with Aireal industries hubs (cassette style rear) with a SS conversion kit

Pedals: probably flatties, possibly clipless though

Brakes: SD 5 V's with SD 7 levers

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 05-03-2004 at 01:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What about...

I picked up one of these KHS rigid ones a couple of years ago. I instantly added a suspension fork and I had a decent dual slalom bike. Now, I ride it as a rigid single speed. One downfall: No capabilities for disk brakes. I have really noticed it making me a better rider. Plus, when I do get on my cross country bike, I have already lost ~5 lbs!
    4130 chromoly... Oh yeah, you can run 2.5 inch tires, or larger.
    http://cambriabike.com/new_bikes/khs...ne_bike_03.htm

http://cambriabike.com/new_bikes/khs...ne_bike_03.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Kona

Try a Kona Hoss frame if you don't mind vertical dropouts, RAD style tubing and half the price of the SC, $209 frame only on their website.

mtbr member
    PX Bommer, maybe?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I had a ride of the KHS rigid one a while back, although I didn't mind it, I don't think it's for me.

I've been considering and Inbred for a while, but I'm just a tad unure if it's the bike for me or not. Looks pretty good though - I doubt I'd be able to do much damage to a 16" frame.

https://on-one.co.uk/graphics/ooo_f/cleotalkL.jpg - Something like this but without the ebb and with v mounts is roughly what I'm after.... .... I think

Inbred owners (anyone ride a 16" frame??) how hard do you ride yours??

Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ive said it before...

check these guys out,
    www.ridesoul.com
    they got two frames that may fit your needs, check out the hardline, it comes with a lifetime warranty on the seatpost and a fork all for 240 shipped to us (probably more to australia.) also look at their titan. these guys are pretty cheap cause they make the frames themselves. drop them an email, they're pretty good about responding.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, but it's not really my kind of bike - I won't be dirt jumping at all - I think I need something more from an XC background, but just nice and strong so it won't die out on the trail.

Dave.

The Riddler

Titus Riddler!!!

Check it out. 2.7lb Al hardtail, and its a Titus, and its 700bucks!!!!!!! Its a great frame and from an excellent American company.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Surly 1x1 will take a decent trail pounding with a nice xc feel. Under $400 US includes fork.Steel IS real.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Mmmmmmmm, but multiply that by two, and you have $1400 Aus, plus trying to get hold of one here..... I can get a 16" Inbred for about $785 Aus (without fork).

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Surlydave - I've often thought about the 1x1, and it's still an option, not real keen on the canti cable mounts, but I guess it's not a real biggie. Any 16" 1x1 pics out there - I've seen truckloads of bigger 1x1's.........

Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    i got an Imperial because i was scared of cracking my Inbred. not saying it can't handle abuse, i just didn't want to crack it 'cause i love the frame so much. maybe the Surly Instigator is for you...

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    oopps, sorry for the mis-placed post above... I don't really want anything super heavy - that why I loved the idea of a Lizard, but unfotunatley it's out of my price range. A trek bruiser might be an intersting project, I'll have to look into it. I remember someone using one a a 'big' trials bike a while back, no doubt it'd probably be alright out on the trail??

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    i have a Zebdi....i can't say i would enjoy riding it on trails. TT is way long, and the BB is way high.

--edit--
    can you get Orange Bicycles over there? what about an Orange Ms. Isle?

--edit numero dos--

make that the Orange SubZero...
    http://www.orangebikes.com/2004bikes...ike=subzero_bh
    Last edited by the Inbred; 05-04-2004 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Surly 1x1

Lowrider have a re think on the Surly, $669AU for a frame /fork with disc mounts and removable canti mounts. I havn,t followed this up myself, but apparently we can get the Redline monocog, complete bike for less than that too.

OT Where in Oz are you? Brisbanite myself

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I think dirtworks can get them in - thats good, I should be able to get one through my lbs. The price is in the right range too!! I don't think the redline is for me though... It's kind of hard to explain what I want, more of a do-everything trailbike, that I can also try and ride up and down rockdrops, and retaining walls.......

I'm from Tassie, Devonport to be exact.

the Inbred - unfortuntaely Orange is a bit like Santa Cruz over here. Good value in the states, but the price skyrockets when they hit aussie soil.

I might go photo hunting for smaller 1 be 1's!!

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Yeah I think dirtworks can get them in - thats good, I should be able to get one through my lbs. The price is in the right range too!! I don't think the redline is for me though... It's kind of hard to explain what I want, more of a do-everything trailbike, that I can also try and ride up and down rockdrops, and retaining walls.......

I'm from Tassie, Devonport to be exact.

the Inbred - unfortuntaely Orange is a bit like Santa Cruz over here. Good value in the states, but the price skyrockets when they hit aussie soil.

I might go photo hunting for smaller 1 be 1's!!

Cheers, Dave.
    That's weird, I thought the SC's were pretty good value, even here in Australia - the land where something has to pass through 4 hands before it gets to you aka super inflated prices land.

1x1s are super tough, super heavy abuse worthy cheap ass pushis that should suit your use as well as budget. Worth a look.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, they probably are, but I'm on a tight budget, I've got another bike to 'look after' too. They're high maintainance these bikes!!

1x1s are super tough, super heavy abuse worthy cheap ass pushis that should suit your use as well as budget. Worth a look.
    Yeah it's looking like a good option! I'd buy one of your beautiful machines, but not this time around - I reckon the next time I buy a new gearie (shhh... you didn't hear that!! ) it will be one of your creations!! I talk to Kami (Mark) a bit every now and then, and he was pretty rapt when I sent him a copy of the photos in AMB a while back.

Cheers,Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Hmm, they probably are, but I'm on a tight budget, I've got another bike to 'look after' too. They're high maintainance these bikes!!

Yeah it's looking like a good option! I'd buy one of your beautiful machines, but not this time around - I reckon the next time I buy a new gearie (shhh... you didn't hear that!! ) it will be one of your creations!! I talk to Kami (Mark) a bit every now and then, and he was pretty rapt when I sent him a copy of the photos in AMB a while back.

Cheers,Dave
    Yeah, the Kamster loved seeing himself in print. It appealed to his over inflated ego and sense of self

Good to see he's doing his job and spreading the good word about all things Thy. I'll have to get him on one of the new steel trials bikes one of these days. Problem is, nobody has managed to break any of the old Aluminium ones yet *touch wood*, so either he's a really, really crap rider or I might be doing something right!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Good to see he's doing his job and spreading the good word about all things Thy.
    Yeah, I met him through Pinkbike, and he documented building up the bike, I haven't spoken to him for a while though.

You need to get some Thylacines into Tassie, being their natural habbitat and all!

Cheers, Dave