Weekend Report: Vintage Steel- Mtbr.com
    Ovaries on the Outside

Weekend Report: Vintage Steel

I camp a couple times a year, and one of those times is at Waldo Lake in Orygun. It is really pretty. I figure most of you think you have seen clear water, but you are probably a big ****ing idiot for thinking that you have. Crater Lake gets crazy publicity, but ****ing Waldo is INSANE.

Since the whole posse showed up, I ended up riding my tertiary mountain bike. Not terrible, cause it is a pretty decently loaded Bontrager Privateer. 32x18 for SS madness. I learned that I hate cantilevers more than I ever would have thought. Ok stopping power, but the power grew progressively worse over 20ish miles, then they started squealing. Probably ****ed my ceramic rims. However, the Bontrager soaked up more abuse than any other hardtail/rigid that I have ever owned. Before this weekend, I preferred steel because the tubing was smaller, but now I do because it can feel like 1-2" of suspension for your ass.

As much as this endeared the rear triangle to me, I was getting annoyed because the 16.75 chainstays blew ass in comparison to the 16.15" chainstays on my Monocog Flight. There are some geometry differences (but not many) that make this issue more than just chainstays, but it really ****ing bothered me. This didn't excite me either, as it makes me one of those ******bags who claims he can tell the difference in sub 1" chainstay lengths. I hate myself.

I also managed to get my girlfriend hooked on 29ers. ****ing ****.

I'd ask how your weekends went, but you all have about as much insight as Rebecca Black's anal drippings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekend Report: Vintage Steel-img_3909.jpg  

Weekend Report: Vintage Steel-img_3932.jpg  

Weekend Report: Vintage Steel-img_3951.jpg  

Weekend Report: Vintage Steel-img_3970.jpg  

Last edited by umarth; 09-11-2011 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    As usual, fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post

I'd ask how your weekends went, but you all have about as much insight as Rebecca Black's anal drippings.
    Ahh, the imagery that keeps me coming back.

After my last mtb race of the season, I am somewhat hobbled, and misusing frozen fruit.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I also managed to get my girlfriend hooked on 29ers.
    Nice snaps, traitor.

mtbr member
    Umarth, I was wondering if you ****ing sensor yourself or if the ****bag moderators do it?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    Nice snaps, traitor.
    No ****. And she doesn't SS yet either.

Apr 2007
    I see no pics of vintage steel.

trail rat
    fini
    Last edited by slocaus; 09-19-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Steel? Maybe quintuple-butted ultra-light tubing clad in WW parts. And powder-coated with a pinkish-hue.

Hairshirt Rider
    You speak of Waldo lake and fail to mention the blood sucking mosquito gangs? We camped there one evening on a swing through oregon and had to retreat to oakridge.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    did a Waldo loop once about 5 years ago....it was only like 2K ascent.....but 100 hills at 20' each....ugh

NICE ride though
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Umarth, I was wondering if you ****ing sensor yourself or if the ****bag moderators do it?
    **** censoring oneself.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Yeah, only took one photo. Funny how a mostly black bike in the shade ends up looking like the ****ing shade. I lose serious points for being an idiot. But it was my best biking experience in a while. Just wish it had shorter chainstays, 100mm suspension correction, disc brake tabs, 1 1/8 headtube....

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMFACE
    did a Waldo loop once about 5 years ago....it was only like 2K ascent.....but 100 hills at 20' each....ugh
    One of the more perfect trails for riding SS in the area because of that. Some other trails climb too long and too steep for me to clear them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Idle claims, no proof
    I swear some of you act like you don't even know what mtbr is for. Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by loudsomething
    You speak of Waldo lake and fail to mention the blood sucking mosquito gangs? We camped there one evening on a swing through oregon and had to retreat to oakridge.
    Waldo Lake sucks ass for skeeters... until late August/September. I camp there once a year, but it is a ***** trying to time it with good weather and no skeeters. This was a pretty perfect weekend, featuring a mildly attractive topless sunbather.

I got nothin'

Vintage Steel Pics????

Dude, where are the pics of the "Vintage Steel"? I saw the announcement for the ride and wanted to come down, but I had company from out of state and we stayed further north to ride a volcano. Hate to tell you, but I have all but abandoned the 26er SS for the 29er SS now, and it has 17.5 inch chainstays.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Dude, where are the pics of the "Vintage Steel"? I saw the announcement for the ride and wanted to come down, but I had company from out of state and we stayed further north to ride a volcano. Hate to tell you, but I have all but abandoned the 26er SS for the 29er SS now, and it has 17.5 inch chainstays.
    The Happy Ride is next weekend. If you can go out there and camp, do it. The skeeters are almost nonexistent and you could get a ride in the hills around the lake.

I'd figure you sell out. Want to B6 your Zion before giving up forever? I do hate the long chainstays on the 29ers. I kinda thought it was my imagination, but now I am certain it is why I have a harder time keeping traction on the rear tire than my MC Flight.