wedding gift idea: single speed city bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

wedding gift idea: single speed city bikes

Long story short- my brother's getting hitched, and as a wedding gift I was thinking of getting them his & hers bikes. They live in Chicago which is dead flat, so the idea of singlespeeds cropped up. I'm thinking more aggressive than a cruiser, but less than a track bike, something versatile, that can maybe be built up/upgraded down the line. Good for trips to go get lunch, riding along the lake, etc. Flat bars, wide tires, maybe fenders...

I was originally thinking San Jose's, a blue and a green, but thought maybe the drop bars might be a little much for their needs.

Initial ideas:
    - Redline Monocogs, stripped and repainted, bigger chainring, smoother tires, then racks added.
    - NYC Bikes- are these decent, or should be avoided? I have a fork form them on my SS, but not sure abt whole bikes.
    - Redline 925- while not flat bars, they're also not quite drops.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
    (Also, he's a good bit taller than she is, would that put her at too much of a disavdantage and should I be looking at gears instead?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Redline 925 would be perfect in my book - almost exactly my round town/commuter setup. Love those moustache bars!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Not in the price range as the ones you listed, but the pieces of art at this site would be awesome:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/

I felt love when I discovered that site last week.

Ali

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    If and when I get married, I'm asking for that!
    You should totally do it! I think it's a great idea(as long as they both like to ride). Good luck with the hunt!
    Keep us posted.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

HIKE!

Kona Africa Bikes

Kona Africa Bikes. For every two a Kona Dealer buys, one more goes to Africa on Kona's dime. Your pals get stylie wedding bikes (useful, too), an AIDS worker or volunteer gets a bike to use in their work. Actual lives are made better. You get mad props.

http://www.konabiketown.com/

wot no bike?
    +1 on the Redline 925: fenders, mustache bars, flip-flop, and under $500.00.
    pete

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the 925s are pretty rad , perhaps also look at Unos, maybe the new SE townie bikes. any LBS should be happy to swap out the bar/stem combo for you when you buy them if that's what you want. I know quite a few messengers rocking 925s as their winter work bikes. the consensus is that the bike is really zippy and fun and is perfect for bopping around town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions...

- if I could afford Vanillas, I'd have one of my own!
    - Redline 925 seems more and more loigcal.
    - I did think briefly about the Kona Africa Bike, but it seems like something they might grow out of pretty quickly. I generally give a charitable donation along with gifts, so purchasing one outright for the Africa project might dovetail nicely.

Members who have read this thread: 0