In a weak moment, RC (MBA) gets it!- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! In a weak moment, RC (MBA) gets it!

Portions of MBA "Happy Trails" by Richard Cunningham (December 2004)

In an effort to weigh the effects of the recent waterfall of innovation and the shift from cross country based bicycles to aggressively oriented , all-mountain type designs, last season I started riding my single speed on familiar trails. I wanted to "reset my technological clock."

later

Most of all, I discovered that the perfect mountain bike was the one that became invisible beneath me while I crusied the back country.

Sounds about right to me,

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 11-15-2004 at 11:53 AM.

King Pin

Good job! Rc

Richard is a very very good friend of mine. I used to race for Mantis back in "the day".

I've emailed him/called him ad nauseaum concerning my love for SS'ing. Good to hear my boy has finally made an approach toward the "dark side".

Richard Cunningham is a good man, and really does have a dislike for all the techno crap concerning "just riding a bike" these days. He did well at Mantis....where his heart was.

$$$$ issues with a family and such to support eventually persuaded him to move toward Editorship at MTBaction.

Good folks....Richard and Corrine. None mas fina.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Portions of MBA "Happy Trails" by Richard Cunningham (December 2004)

In an effort to weigh the effects of the recent waterfall of innovation and the shift from cross country based bicycles to aggressively oriented , all-mountain type designs, last season I started riding my single speed on familiar trails. I wanted to "reset my technological clock."

later

Most of all, I discovered that the perfect mountain bike was the one that became invisible beneath me while I crusied the back country.

Sounds about right to me,

1G1G, Brad

I too had this revelation.
    I'm not an editor.
    I'm not really what I'd call a racer.
    I have no position in the bike idustry whatsoever...

I found the appeal of SS b/c of the sheer simplicity of it. On paper it looked right, so i blindly gave it a whirl in September. I've since trashed the (formerly geared) bike, and am back to my geared FXR... I miss my SS.

I will always have a need for a geared bike, and will always ride w/ at least a susp. fork up front but RC has it right... the ability to move a bike and rider as one, to meld man and machine in the smoothest way possible feels like you're practicing a holy art... its like religion for mtb. zealots like us.

I hope w/ time I can get good enough at this SS art so that i no longer am riding "familiar" trails SS like RC, and can take my bike anywhere, anytime, and just go.

I was bouldering in Alabama last winter, and I in a conversation w/ a college kid I started down this path that not only applies to mtb'ing, but to life.
    he said to me, "You don't have to buy what they're selling you man."
    He's right.
    How much of the stuff in life do we really need, and how much do we WANT.

I kinda view SS'ing like that. its all you really need.

Retro Grouch

Tell RC I owe him an apology..

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Richard is a very very good friend of mine. I used to race for Mantis back in "the day".

I've emailed him/called him ad nauseaum concerning my love for SS'ing. Good to hear my boy has finally made an approach toward the "dark side".

Richard Cunningham is a good man, and really does have a dislike for all the techno crap concerning "just riding a bike" these days. He did well at Mantis....where his heart was.

$$$$ issues with a family and such to support eventually persuaded him to move toward Editorship at MTBaction.

Good folks....Richard and Corrine. None mas fina.
    I ran into him at the Sea Otter this year and all I could do was remind him Spot doesn't make a tensioner (he's referred to one several times in "Ask RC"). I was a little rude and didn't even introduce myself. He looks kinda like an old guy like me that just likes to ride bikes; and once in a while he throws a bone to us SS in MBA. In the name of accuracy however could you have him run his SS advice by you before he puts it into print. I know he's forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever know, but he seems to have forgotten a lot about converting bikes to SS (That was suppose to be light hearted sarcasm).

1G1G, Brad