We suck..- Mtbr.com

Thread: We suck..

Retro Grouch

We suck..

The truth is singlespeeders kick ass; but you would never know it reading some of the last posts. Why does it take some pseudo-whatever to question why we ride singlespeed and we swallow it hook line and sinker. Why does singlespeeder have to be synonymous with "dumb fish that will bite on any trolled bait"?

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Got Mojo?

I Suck? No! You Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Why does singlespeeder have to be synonymous with "dumb fish that will bite on any trolled bait"?

1G1G, Brad

Ok, I'll bite... Why?

Brad is right, what is with all the negative vibes?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Someone around here once said something to the effect of, "Morons are everywhere - they have to be called out." I think all of this is that statement taking effect: the moron is being called out.

velocipede technician
    if you spew out hateful or erroneous rants, your gonna get a harsh response.spread harsh vibes and it will be returned.

yeah, what spinwheels said.he's gettin called on his own sh*t
    looking for 20-21" P team

Master Gardener
    It's true.

I am so jazzed on my new-ish Spot... it's been years since I sat at my desk dreaming about mtn biking... I've always ridden but I lost that feeling of being absolutely stoked about upcoming rides. But my Spot brought that all back. Along with a ****-eating grin on my face during every ride.

And out on the trail, it is what it is: me stoked, laughing, smiling.

But then you come here and feel like you have to justify your being stoked. You start to feel like you have to "arm" yourself with all kinds of technical theories about why you love riding your mtn bike so much. Buzzkill.

And then, to counter it, I end up back on here writing some nambypamby post about the "essence" of mountain biking and how "it's all about fun" etc., etc. Which really just sounds like the same old elitist SS line all over again... "Singlespeeding is the true essence of mountain biking, blah blah blah..."

I just like riding my bike and I thank Gaia that I am healthy enough to get out in the mountains regularly.

conjoinicorned
    meh....the internet breeds this kind of crap.

still boggles me how some people bother to care about what some stranger feels about their personal choices. isn't that what makes them a personal choice?
    or how some stranger feels that his/her ideas are better than everyone elses. i'm glad there is people like *** on the boards....it makes for an opposing viewpoint and occasionally a good laugh.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I miss the good old internet days

when people had enough sense to ignore the trolls, now everyone just keeps throwing fuel on the fire.

I still know how to ignore the trolls though.

Here's two tips, stay away from the Salimonious thread and anyhting that PVD has to say.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Someone around here once said something to the effect of, "Morons are everywhere - they have to be called out." I think all of this is that statement taking effect: the moron is being called out.
    Did somebody call me?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That depends - are you trying to take credit for the quote, or for being the moron? If it helps, I wasn't paraphrasing you for the quote.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Most of the time I could care less. But, when someone comes along and sh!ts in my sandbox, I get a bit touchy. It would be like me going to some whatever event, taking tons of photos, and putting them up on a website, cross-linking to that site and say, "here you go check out my photos with my comments, oh by the way you all are pansies and suck."

1) You entered my sandbox
    2) You shat in it;
    3) Now, you are rubbing my face in it....

What a way to mend the fences.
    Tuff Schist

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    are you trying to take credit for the quote?
    No - so I guess that leaves only one alternative.

The problem is people take themselves way to seriously.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Poorly Disguised Poser

good call

I try to be careful about how I promote my own blog, and I tend to have little respect for people that blatantly spam for theirs....It is sort of like when someone tries SO hard to sell you something you don't want.

I am dis-inclined to buy. And I don't like to inflate a junk site with hits, and bump its rating when it deserves much less. As a result, I guess I am a negative person (and I tend to not give them the web hit they are trolling for).

Nevertheless, the best way to deal with it, is to ignore it....they always go away eventually.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Meh, thanks to the complete anonymity, people like to start ruckus in front of an audience. Call it attention wh0ring.

The fact of the matter is that most of us love biking and would probably have a great time together on the trail...even Sal.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Retro Grouch

I like this guy..

Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    It's true.

I am so jazzed on my new-ish Spot... it's been years since I sat at my desk dreaming about mtn biking... I've always ridden but I lost that feeling of being absolutely stoked about upcoming rides. But my Spot brought that all back. Along with a ****-eating grin on my face during every ride.

And out on the trail, it is what it is: me stoked, laughing, smiling.

But then you come here and feel like you have to justify your being stoked. You start to feel like you have to "arm" yourself with all kinds of technical theories about why you love riding your mtn bike so much. Buzzkill.

And then, to counter it, I end up back on here writing some nambypamby post about the "essence" of mountain biking and how "it's all about fun" etc., etc. Which really just sounds like the same old elitist SS line all over again... "Singlespeeding is the true essence of mountain biking, blah blah blah..."

I just like riding my bike and I thank Gaia that I am healthy enough to get out in the mountains regularly.
    Probably because he sounds alot like me..When I first heard about single speed it didn't make much sense but I was drawn to it. Once I got the hang of it it was, "Guess what? I can ride ride my old bike stripped of the gears and only using one speed." "No way!" "Yes way!!" "You the man!" " No, it's not that hard, give it a try." (a short time later) "Brad, you were right, it can be done; and it's not that much harder."

So why can you ride single speed as well or better than a geared bike? I really don't know. I know part of it is making it to the top of the hill. Everyone who rides a mountain bike, has it in him to want to make it to the top of the hill. If you don't have a bail out gear, you'll use what you brought.

I would hope that there are a lot of folks who still can't believe they can ride a single speed bike and make it to the top of the hill. Let's hear your stories. You don't have to explain why single speed rocks; you're among friends here; it's the Singlespeed Forum for god's sake.

Brad

Out spokin'

Nothing matters

Run what ya brung. It's all good.

--Sparty

P.S. Thanks to those who don't feed the trolls.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I go back and forth between getting pissed off and bummed out by the people that like to come in here (or the other bike forums) just to dump all over the things that I enjoy so much.

I shouldn't let it get to me so much, but I guess I was under the mistaken impression that bicyclists in general are slightly more open minded and fun-loving than the rest of our cynical, bitter society.

I'm sure the cycling community is still a little more positive than the general population, but it only takes a few individuals to sour an otherwise good experience.

Really I am that slow
    I just wanna go ride my bicycle (gotta love Queen)

I think its spring riding/gear envy fever =)
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Thanks for the reality check!! I personally went out to ride and was laughing about your point in relation to all this. My bad for letting myself go there.

I gotta say though, the "Good Puppy" post hit the nail on the head, and almost made me laugh harder, while thinking about it, so bad, I almost took out a bush aside the trail!!

Now, about taking the bait...fishhooks and trolls...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maybe its because its still cold and miserable (in som places at least) there and you all need to get out and ride some. Just a thought....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    I try to be careful about how I promote my own blog, and I tend to have little respect for people that blatantly spam for theirs....
    ...........and yet I still clicked on your blog link. Damn, you're good

I only ride single speed because I needed room for my Incredibell

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Sorry to Sidebar...

OK, quit it now!! (AKA Brad-this isn't directed at you, just a clarification...)

Come-on Mike, don't add gasoline to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by mmerll
    ...outta tell the idiot they want their idiot back!

Combat Wombat

You mean like....

The truth is singlespeeders kick ass; but you would never know it reading some of the last posts. Why does it take some pseudo-whatever to question why we ride singlespeed and we swallow it hook line and sinker. Why does singlespeeder have to be synonymous with "dumb fish that will bite on any trolled bait"?

1G1G, Brad
    "SS way overstated"? Almost 600 posts on that bad boy. I stopped reading it months ago and I am continuously amazed everyday at how it keeps going. Kind of like a bad case of herpes. Salimoneus could teach Roland Martin a few things.
    I am with Velokid1 on being stoked and jazzed sure is a great word for expressing that feeling.

Brian
    Last edited by BrianU; 03-09-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Out spokin'

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    "SS way overstated"? Almost 600 posts on that bad boy. I stopped reading it months ago and I am continuously amazed everday at how it keeps going. Kind of like a bad case of herpes....
    Brian
    EXACTLY!!!

Imagine the statement our SS community would have made if not a single person replied to Salimonious's post. (Pun unintended.)

Turning the other cheek can make a powerful statement, I say sincerely.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not only does it make a powerful statement but it ends posts like that, drops right off the list pretty fast when they're ignored.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    On the other hand, it's a generous serving of delicious irony when morons barge in here declaring that "morons are everywhere, they need to be called out", proceed to be called out themselves like so, and then run away crying, "wah, you don't like me 'cause you're all dumdums".

That stuff is ace.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    EXACTLY!!!

Imagine the statement our SS community would have made if not a single person replied to Salimonious's post. (Pun unintended.)

--Sparty
    But I like horror movies...

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Here ya go...great solution!!

This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."
    ?

Anyone?

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."
    ?

Anyone?
    1.boxing
    2.niagra falls
    3.asparagus, rhubarb
    4.strawberry(yum)
    5.grown inside the bottle
    6.dwarf,dwell,dwindle
    7.period,comma,colon,semicolon,dash,hyphen,apostro phe,question mark,exclamation point,quotation marks,brackets,parenthesis,braces,ellipses
    8.lettuce
    9.shoes,socks,sandals,sneakers,slippers,skies,skat es, snowshoes
    looking for 20-21" P team

Out spokin'

That settles it

Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    1.boxing
    2.niagra falls
    3.asparagus, rhubarb
    4.strawberry(yum)
    5.grown inside the bottle
    6.dwarf,dwell,dwindle
    7.period,comma,colon,semicolon,dash,hyphen,apostro phe,question mark,exclamation point,quotation marks,brackets,parenthesis,braces,ellipses
    8.lettuce
    9.shoes,socks,sandals,sneakers,slippers,skies,skat es, snowshoes
    I always thought hollister knew everything -- now proof exists. Way to go, d00d!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Retro Grouch

The answer is simple..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    EXACTLY!!!

--Sparty
    At some point you still need to stop feeding the trolls.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-12-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Hollister...Nice.

Man, we really don't have anything better to do. huh?

(FYI: Hol's a friend, and works nearby, so I know he probably had access to the answers, but, I'll trust he did the legwork instead.)

*We gotta be smart, working in Silicon Valley, we come across all walks of life. Not only can some of us sell and fix your bikes, but explain the theories and rules behind thermo and aero-dynamics, in relation to the influences of a wet, loamy environment, followed up by introduction of clay and dust.

Thanks for this thread AKA Brad, great way to lighten the mood!

That said, at least I can admit, like most, I know enough, but not everything.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I've posted in that thread and have enjoyed the exchange with other riders that have had little to do with the OP but more about riding. It's a well of good information when you get past the crap.

Anyways...

I'll keep riding what I ride no matter what anyone thinks... did I mention I turned my rigid SS into a 3 speed?

I know... it's blasphemy.

Ask me if I care.

Cheers!
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Retro Grouch

Talk dirty to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    I've posted in that thread and have enjoyed the exchange with other riders that have had little to do with the OP but more about riding. It's a well of good information when you get past the crap.

Anyways...

I'll keep riding what I ride no matter what anyone thinks... did I mention I turned my rigid SS into a 3 speed?

I know... it's blasphemy.

Ask me if I care.

Cheers!
    So how did you SS turn into a 3 speed?

Brad

mtbr member

new to it

Had a few rides on a Kona Unit 2-9. Somehow the idea of SS is driving me crazy. It's very cool to just ride and climb. I just ordered an Exile and can't wait. Simply put, riding bikes is great fun. What's wrong with great fun?

Retro Grouch

You are what SS is about..

Quote Originally Posted by mountainswin
    Had a few rides on a Kona Unit 2-9. Somehow the idea of SS is driving me crazy. It's very cool to just ride and climb. I just ordered an Exile and can't wait. Simply put, riding bikes is great fun. What's wrong with great fun?
    This thread is about the trollers that either don't understand SS or don't care. Rather then saying, you either gert it or you don't, either way is OK, but we tend to fall on our swords defending the undefendable; "why something is fun". Hearing you talk about riding your Kona is a hoot!! Keep it up and don't feed the trolls.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-14-2007 at 08:37 PM.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    So how did you SS turn into a 3 speed?

Brad
    You take the freehub with the single cog and replace it with three cogs (a 13, an 18, and a 24) and add a derailleur and a thumbie to handle the shifting duties and voila...you have a very functional and versatile 1 by 3 drive.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You take the freehub with the single cog and replace it with three cogs (a 13, an 18, and a 24) and add a derailleur and a thumbie to handle the shifting duties and voila...you have a very functional and versatile 1 by 3 drive.
    OT- got pics of the setup? i'm at a cross between making my ht into a ss or 1xX

They turned me loose
    Just cut the line and leave the hook in.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    OT- got pics of the setup? i'm at a cross between making my ht into a ss or 1xX
    I'll snap some pictures in a little while and post them... I love the way the rear cluster looks and it has gotten some positive comments from the guys down at the bike shop.

I love SS'ing but also appreciate the limiting gearing as I can dial the bike up to 25 mph without spinning at 200 rpm and have those lower gears for things like towing a trailer.

I was in the shop last night and found a 28 tooth Biopace ring to go with the 38 tooth BioP ring I've been running... I installed it but went without another shifter or derailleur as I can change into the low gear manually when the riding gets radical ie: towing a ton of stuff.

The only thing I'm considering is changing the 13 tooth cog for a 15 for a little better chain wrap, higher spin, and a better shift up to the 18 tooth cog as 5 teeth is a pretty big jump.

Anyways...the pictures will be up soon.

Retro Grouch

Re-inventing gears?

Hey sometimes SS is not the best answer. My buddy spike was thinking of competing @ the Sea Otter in his geared class; he's competed the last 3 years in SS. He wants to ride SS, but his concern is the flat track at the begining. So he's been looking for a least a 2 speed so he gear down once he gets off road. Let's see how this works!

Brad

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Sorry for the delay...I ran out of good light before I could take any pics.

The 1 by 3 is pretty simple...imagine a 1 by 9 without 6 of those cogs.

Instead of running my single cog with spacers I ran 3 ramped HG cogs with spacers, The 7 speed cassette ran an 11-28 range and I selected the 13, the 18, and the 24 to use buut will be swapping the 13 for a 15 for a cleaner upshift and smoother running.

The bike is a little dirty from it's commute so I apologize for that in advance.

You can see the 18 and 24 tooth cogs (I left out the 21) while the 13 is pretty much hidden. The rear D is a vintage Shimano 600 (which has some lovely scroll work), and there's a Deore thumbie up front.

One thing you need to do with the 3 speed is to install a longer low limiter screw as the cogs are placed in what would be the three lowest positions and the factory derailleur screw won't stop the D from moving into what was the 4th gear position (which is now a spacer).

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    And there's nothing wrong with my chainrings...

Retro Grouch
    Sorry for the delay...I ran out of good light before I could take any pics.

The 1 by 3 is pretty simple...imagine a 1 by 9 without 6 of those cogs.

Instead of running my single cog with spacers I ran 3 ramped HG cogs with spacers, The 7 speed cassette ran an 11-28 range and I selected the 13, the 18, and the 24 to use buut will be swapping the 13 for a 15 for a cleaner upshift and smoother running.

The bike is a little dirty from it's commute so I apologize for that in advance.

You can see the 18 and 24 tooth cogs (I left out the 21) while the 13 is pretty much hidden. The rear D is a vintage Shimano 600 (which has some lovely scroll work), and there's a Deore thumbie up front.

One thing you need to do with the 3 speed is to install a longer low limiter screw as the cogs are placed in what would be the three lowest positions and the factory derailleur screw won't stop the D from moving into what was the 4th gear position (which is now a spacer).
    This what I was talking about in my Rivendell thread. It makes one yearn for 5 speed freewheels..

Brad

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I have a good number of 5 speed freewheels...and many are Suntour noless.

I guess I must be old or something but cannot see why anyone would need a 9 speed cassette on a bike when you can get the same gearing range on less cogs, have a wheel with less dish, and run straighter chainlines through the entire gear range.

This 2 by 3 drive is connected to an '87 Kuwahara Cascade mountain / touring / expedition bike (rigid steelie) and I don't expect there are many things this bike won't be able to do with this setup.

When it was agearie I was climbing some serious stuff with nothing lower than a 28:28 gearing and Biopace rings, which really do make a difference.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ...

...My college bike has just 1 chain, on the subject of fun things to do to a SS...

1972 Schwinn Typhoon, swapped in the 2 speed kickback from my collegiate, relaced it to the Balooner rims, voila, top-secret second speed for hills, etc. Used to piss off the locals when they thought they had a jump on me.

(I would discreetly make it look like I braked quickly, and jump on it.)

Another note... I'm still working on that Surly 1x1 (1xFun) 8 speed idea, I'll do a post when I finally cave in. )

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    obione - Those 2 speed kickers are fun and I can see how having a stealth gear could mess with people's minds.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink

Thanks, I wanna see what other options are out there, and on that subject...
    So, this is post#1200 for me, hopefully makes up for the weak #1000 post.

OH SNAP!! Hot of the proverbial E-Presses, a "How-To".

Quote Originally Posted by (Yeah, right, name removed to protect the not so innocent, but definitely Cool.)

Click on the memebrs name in the left column. This will bring up the profile page.

Just below the users profile information, within the blue bar, are the options to choose "buddy" or "ignore".

But in the case of (name removed to abide by forum guidelines),
    isn't it more fun to watch him make an @$$ of himself, then enjoyingly point it out?

Take Care!

(..name removed-ha-ha-ha.)

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    The options are limitless and when I was looking over the herd in the shop I realized that only two of the eleven bikes are anywhere close to being stock... here are a few examples...

The 24 speed Trek HT is now an SS (and on it's way to becoming a rigid SS).

The 1980 Raleigh Criterium 12 speed is now a 3 speed (SA hub) hybrid.

The Kuwahara 18 speed is now my 2 by 6 and was an SS all winter.

The Trek 7500 hybrid (comfort bike) is now a stripped down, lighter, hd cross bike although it still has all it's gears.

The '69 Peugeot 10 speed fixed gear conversion is well on it's way.

The '73 Carlton 10 speed is now an SS.

We call it Gear Reduction Therapy<sub>tm</sub> around here.

My road bikes still have their gears an ind most cases, the old 10 and 12 speeds have gained gears and become 18 speeds.

the owner of the local LBS calls me "innovative" as I'm always coming in with different projects and modified bikes that really work as well or better than they did originally.

Retro Grouch

Thanks for the pmail..

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Thanks, I wanna see what other options are out there, and on that subject...
    So, this is post#1200 for me, hopefully makes up for the weak #1000 post.

OH SNAP!! Hot of the proverbial E-Presses, a "How-To".
    A trip to Rivendell sounds fun; from Santa Cruz the first BART terminel in Fremont. Just give me a date and time.

Brad

Members who have read this thread: 0