Are we freaks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Are we freaks?

mtbr member

Are we freaks?

So today, I rode the beautiful carbon Land Shark. I ride with 46t / 16t. It is hilly where I ride.

This morning, riding said bicycle, I came across a rider. He was on a Trek Madone. I massed him going up a hill. He couldn't keep up afterwards.

The same thing happened later. This time the road was flatish, and I passed a guy on another Madone. His rpms were faster than mine, and I said a polite "hello" as I passed him.

Am I a freak because I am so fast? or is it because with the gearing I have, I can be more efficient? Or am I a freak just because? Or is it because they are blinded by a nice custom made bicycle?

I think in another universe, bananas rule the world and there are octopus ink spills from the Dali refinery or mediocrity.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    you mean this kind of Land Shark (the Mosler MT900 GTR Land Shark)?

Apr 2007
    Are you riding fixed? I usually blast past most roadies going up a hill (48x18 on Surly Steamroller---also very hilly in my area), but since I'm fixed, they drop me on the flats and downhills as I spin like crazy.

But to answer the question---we're all freaks. Not the good kind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Are you riding fixed? I usually blast past most roadies going up a hill (48x18 on Surly Steamroller---also very hilly in my area), but since I'm fixed, they drop me on the flats and downhills as I spin like crazy.

But to answer the question---we're all freaks. Not the good kind.
    My joints can't take fixed anymore. So I coast when I can now. That makes me a double freak.

You are right, we are all freaks - the circus kind with nose hair crabs.

HTFU and Ride
    i love passing people on crazy expensive geared full sus bikes on my singlespeed

it makes me happy!
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yes. Superhuman. Great job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Yes. Superhuman. Great job.
    Is this freakish?

mtbr member
    I love the sound my Hopes make as I back pedal loadly just before blowing by some slow rich dude on a $5K geared full squish.
    anything Steel

Kiss my Grits!
    When I used to play rugby, about twenty years ago, they called me Freak. I was diagnosed long ago and found that the best remedy it to wear the label with pride.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I pass people on the road uphill with the kid in the trailer, but that's on the road.
    my calf muscles are about 19 inches now.
    *shrug* I look kinda freakish i guess.

my friend had 26 inch quads for a while, I had him rocking the 56 that's now on my gardin
    (I use a mellow 56x17 gear for city blasting, but he'd bring it down to his 11 tooth cog periodically).
    HE is a true freak.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chim Chim
    When I used to play rugby, about twenty years ago, they called me Freak. I was diagnosed long ago and found that the best remedy it to wear the label with pride.
    Most freaks, like you and me, and everyone else, have an enlarged Freak Gland. Doctors call it Encapsulated Tretatosphopere.

Tomorrow, my daughter and me (she's 6) are riding the 12 miles to my best friend's house. She'll be riding on her SS Adam's bike tag along trail-behind-tandem thing, while I ride the SS Land Shark of hope. Yes, hope, because I hope I get there with her around 8am.

My BFF also happens to ride a Land Shark. Carbon (ENO'd) cross Shark.

That makes us all freaks.

She's 6. She already wants a tattoo. She can throw mud at your kid.

artistic...
    i love passing FS gearies on my car.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I also went on a long fixed road ride today. Some decent climbing. Lots of satisfaction. We're all freaks!

Single Speed Junkie
    Seems normal to me.

If you were a freak well....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are we freaks?-fugly4082727.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images     

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My experience is SS riders are in shape and are for the most part better riders. Most SS riders have owned geared bikes and FS bikes and just like the simplicity to jump on and ride without adjusting this or aligning that. We're riders first and the bling of a $5K bike is not what its all about...

Something interesting is the local MT bike rally they had a hill climb challenge and about 100 riders participated -- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place were all SS 29er's That sold me.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    My experience is SS riders are in shape and are for the most part better riders. Most SS riders have owned geared bikes and FS bikes and just like the simplicity to jump on and ride without adjusting this or aligning that. We're riders first and the bling of a $5K bike is not what its all about...
    Everyone like to think that what ever they are doing is the best thing ever, it's human nature. Pretty bold statement about SS riders being in better shape. I ride a bunch of SS, but when it comes time to race for 10-14 hrs on a mountain bike, you can bet that I will grab my 1x9 (with front suspension). I've ridden rigid SS, front squish SS, even spent 5 days self supported bike packing on a SISS in Oregon, I love it for what it is, but it is not the fastest way to get around. I tour with gears (a triple crank even) too.

I mess around with my SS chain tension, and resulting brake adjustment way more than my 1x6 down tube friction shifter commuter that I've used for the past 3 years (zero adjustments, 1 set of brake pads, and 1 chain replacement).

Riders first? Pretty bold statement, and I've seen plenty of bling single speed that are probably pushing the 5G mark, at least 3G's for sure. But what do I know, I sold my SISS to fund a different bike build, and now I have a parts bin single speed based around a 90 something StumpJumper that I brazed water jet cut track ends into.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigggs
    Everyone like to think that what ever they are doing is the best thing ever, it's human nature. Pretty bold statement about SS riders being in better shape. I ride a bunch of SS, but when it comes time to race for 10-14 hrs on a mountain bike, you can bet that I will grab my 1x9 (with front suspension). I've ridden rigid SS, front squish SS, even spent 5 days self supported bike packing on a SISS in Oregon, I love it for what it is, but it is not the fastest way to get around. I tour with gears (a triple crank even) too.

I mess around with my SS chain tension, and resulting brake adjustment way more than my 1x6 down tube friction shifter commuter that I've used for the past 3 years (zero adjustments, 1 set of brake pads, and 1 chain replacement).

Riders first? Pretty bold statement, and I've seen plenty of bling single speed that are probably pushing the 5G mark, at least 3G's for sure. But what do I know, I sold my SISS to fund a different bike build, and now I have a parts bin single speed based around a 90 something StumpJumper that I brazed water jet cut track ends into.

Quoted for truth. SS/fixed is fun and a big challenge that feels extremely rewarding, but people who think it's faster/more efficient than riding geared in all scenarios need to get off their high horse. Not all SS riders are fast either. Ride one gear if you want to, but don't assume that it makes you a better rider than someone who has gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict
    Quoted for truth. SS/fixed is fun and a big challenge that feels extremely rewarding, but people who think it's faster/more efficient than riding geared in all scenarios need to get off their high horse. Not all SS riders are fast either. Ride one gear if you want to, but don't assume that it makes you a better rider than someone who has gears.
    That means I'd have to get a geared bike for the Unnamed Epic race and change categories if possible.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict
    I think I'm faster on SS offroad.

I'm not a freak though, I'm just stupid cause I can't handle shifting and dealing with derailers.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    That means I'd have to get a geared bike for the Unnamed Epic race and change categories if possible.
    No it doesn't.

mtbr member
    quite honestly for me, I just like riding my bike.... any bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No bold statements intended, just stating some observation based on the local XC trails in my neck of the woods... Nor would I ride a SS in a 12hr race or a rigid in a place full of rocky downhills. There is obviously the right tool for the right job.

I still believe in most XC situations with moderate rolling hills a SS is certainly competitive and maybe just as fast, but would not go as far as to say SS is faster, better, or the right tool for every situation.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    ever let somebody pass you when you're out on an easy recovery ride, fully confident that you could chase them down and humble them...if you wanted?

i don't get that much joy out of passing other riders.

everybody on a bike is a hero, even if they appear to be a cliche...full kit on ar new madrone.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    ever let somebody pass you when you're out on an easy recovery ride, fully confident that you could chase them down and humble them...if you wanted?

i don't get that much joy out of passing other riders.

everybody on a bike is a hero, even if they appear to be a cliche...full kit on ar new madrone.
    This was my thought also. In a recent bicycling mag a cycling pro talked about being contacted on his training rides and how some try to race him and others accelerate past then obviously slow down 100 yards down the road. I don't think you can ever judge the speed or ability of some rider you happen upon on the road. You may be off on a 20 mile fast pace ride and the rider on the Madrone just finished 125 miles and is spinning home. Off road is a different story, most mtb riders climb to the best of their ability, but home field advantage is still huge.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    a roadie once told me this after telling him that I pass most of the roadies I see"you gotta remember we are often tired after our long rides so thats when you are probably catching us"

yea right....
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    a roadie once told me this after telling him that I pass most of the roadies I see"you gotta remember we are often tired after our long rides so thats when you are probably catching us"

yea right....
    That's usually true actually...

mbtr member
    My ss is fkn fast... until i dust off the road bike.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Low Rep Count
    I am a freak, but that has nothing to do with my bikes!

I come from a road racing background. I can tell you that I have been passed by all sorts of riders. Some times, I was just tooling along on my way to work/home and others I was flat out balling only to feel like I some how slipped into reverse when someone shot past me. The dick had the nerve to even say hello! Ego crushing for sure. But I have been on both ends of the equation. When out on the MTB, I really don't try to pass anyone. Mainly because I am afraid that I will then have to stay in front of them.

I have used riders in front of me on training rides as the perverbial carrot if you will. Some times to my surprise, I could barely hold the same gap! I think those guys had a motor in their bike like Catulara (sp).

I will say that riding my SS has whipped me into shape just as fast as when I would train on my old fixed gear. I will also say that having the right bike can make you faster depending on what terrain you are riding. Gears are definitely more efficient and are a no brainer for any sort of endurance race simply because of that.

But now that I only have one bike to ride (my xc is still somewhat in pieces) I am content with just blasting my local trails with my SS and trying to hang in there with the moderate group of M.O.R.E riders when I can link up with them.

Low Rep Count
    Oh, I would also agree that not all SS folks are into it simply because of simplicity. I will say that I got into it because it was a cheap way for me to get back into riding again. Well, I thought it was cheap but I have fallen victim to the modding bug and am close to the $2k mark already and still have a cheap steel frame (mass produced GT Peace). Yes, my goal is something custom by next winter (2011). I also spend a fair amount of time dicking around with my brakes. I believe I spend more time messing around with this bike than I have my XC which was pretty much all XTR 9spd w/ Vbrakes.

mtbr member
    yesterday, my right eye was bothering me. I think my lasik's warranty is going to expire soon - for that, I am a freak.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er
    I love the sound my Hopes make as I back pedal loadly just before blowing by some slow rich dude on a $5K geared full squish.
    Isn't that an awesome sound? I love my Hope hubs!

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73
    Isn't that an awesome sound? I love my Hope hubs!
    When I had my Hopes (on rode a geared bike more), my buddy used to say he would slow down and listen and he could figure out how far I was back. They were pretty good, I prefer the sound of my ENO freewheel now.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    yesterday, my right eye was bothering me. I think my lasik's warranty is going to expire soon - for that, I am a freak.
    Hey ernesto, I think I saw a dude riding his bike through the tunnel on my way home from work today that looked like your avatar. I gotta hand it to him, ridding downhill on a dimly lighted pathway, sucking exhaust fumes, pulling swigs off a 24oz brown-bagged beer without a care in the world. I am usually frowning & white knuckled when I am commuting down the same path.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Hey ernesto, I think I saw a dude riding his bike through the tunnel on my way home from work today that looked like your avatar. I gotta hand it to him, ridding downhill on a dimly lighted pathway, sucking exhaust fumes, pulling swigs off a 24oz brown-bagged beer without a care in the world. I am usually frowning & white knuckled when I am commuting down the same path.
    There's a lot of guys like that everywhere. Actually, that avatar of mine is an actual guy that lives in the rain barrel behind my house. He farts in the water.

Members who have read this thread: 0