This is way too long..but it has nice pictures..- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

This is way too long..but it has nice pictures..

Well I finally got my Stronglight crankset. All in all it worked out all right. If you don’t remember my last post, I bought a right side crank with a 46 NOS chainring (this was all done on ebay). This was due to me having way too much time on my hands after my bike crash. I have a Peugeot road bike I’ve converted to a SS and I wanted a French Stronglight crank to replace the very nice Sugino I have now. The chainring was a bit shopworn with some surface corrosion (or what ever aluminum does), but cleaned up fairly well. While the 1/2 cranskset was being shipped I bought a very nice and very pricey NOS left side crankarm to complete the crankset. When the right side arrived I cleaned it up and installed it; but something was wrong. It had a very bent arm. Darn. Now I have a $30crankarm I can’t use and a $50 left crankarm to go with it. So with hat in hand I emailed the seller of the left arm and asked the impossible. Turns out she was a class act and let me send it back for a refund; I will make it a point to buy from her again, her name is “Banana_brain555” and she has a lot of cool old bike stuff. The seller of the bent crank was also apologetic and offered an exchange or refund. Anyway so a hunting I went again.

I found almost the exact same crank, only this time it was a set; and with a used but usable 52T chainring. I saw the same seller had a 42T NOS chainring he was selling so I figured if I got crankset cheap enough (I did; cheaper than the left crankarm), I try for the 42T chain ring (easier SS gearing). Well the chainring went for $150!! OMG. I then looked at my 46T ring, figured it was a gift and told the seller I would keep the bent crankarm.

Anyway after all this I also ended up with two styles of Stronglight SS chainrings. The first look like conventional chainring bolts, are very light aluminum; there even marked “Stronglight”. The others are heavyweight steel and aluminum and Stronglight originals. I plan I using the heavier bolts, but I was fascinated by the different approaches to the same purpose, especially the old old style Stronglight; I just don’t think I’d trust the aluminum. But what do you think? I mean it's a roadbike this time.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-12-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Ive never had a problem with alum. bolts. I think the chainring would shear before a bolt would.

No Justice = No Peace

Use the steel bolts

I have popped Shimano Aluminum Chainring bolts twice. The first time, I may have failed to tighten them correctly, but the second time they were right. I'm a big guy but still....

I see titanium bolt sets on the Bay all the time. I would trust them, but not aluminum any more. Nope, not for me......

Cool cranks, by the way
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Out spokin'
    Do I see some non-Allen head bolts mixed up in there? If so, that's not right.

Steel for me.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

velocipede technician
    go with the old skool ones, imho they look classy
    looking for 20-21" P team

Retro Grouch

Yes; but they're all that way..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Do I see some non-Allen head bolts mixed up in there? If so, that's not right.

Steel for me.

--Sparty
    All the steal bolts are non-Allen 10mm bolts; the other side is also much smaller than standard (a standard chain ring tool will not work); I used a metal straight edge.

Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0