Washers with pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Washers with pedals?

I stripped out my crank arm at the pedal-connection and my LBS said it could be because I didn't have a small washer between my pedal and crank arm.
    Does anyone else use a small washer with truvativ hussefelt cranks and pedals?

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride
    I stripped out my crank arm at the pedal-connection and my LBS said it could be because I didn't have a small washer between my pedal and crank arm.

I use a washer with my truvativ stylo team cranks. It came with the cranks and truvativ does recomend using them in the instructions that come with the cranks.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by giantrider
    I use a washer with my truvativ stylo team cranks. It came with the cranks and truvativ does recomend using them in the instructions that come with the cranks.
    Same here.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    The washer shouldn't have anything to do with the stripped threads. The washer is used with pedals that have the 15mm wrench flats so that the corners of the flats don't dig into the arms. Pedals like the Shimano 959 that don't have flats should be okay w/o the washers. I use it if it's supplied, but not always.

The only way for crank threads to strip or a pedal to pull out of the crank is if the pedal is not tight enough to begin with or if you jump enough that the pedal streteches the pedal hole in the crank - but you got to jump and land hard a lot. Get them pedals really freakin' tight and they won't strip - washer or no washer.

One interesting thing though, Shimano and Campagnolo don't supply their cranks with washers - only Truvativ and FSA. Interesting.

sponsored by Kotex
    Jan 2004

happened to me also...

I stripped the threads on a truvativ stylo- I believe around 2002 they started using a harder metal in the threaded section (i know the stylos changed the aluminum the were using for stronger stuff ( broke 2 crankarms!)
    but I do remember reading in their pamphlet that came with the new crankarm they sent me something about a new and improved reinforced pedal thread area on the hussefelts.
    truvativ replaced my crankarm(s) no hassle at all-
    you should give em a call! good people!

later...
    Don in Redwood City

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

On the original Hussefelts, this is a known problem. Truvativ redesigned the crank arm, so the threads are no longer aluminum. There's a steel insert now. Odd that they wouldn't use better aluminum instead.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.