washers on chainring bolts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

washers on chainring bolts

due to some chain issues i've pulled the guard off my crankset to leave only the 44T chainring but now i have too much play in the bolts. I have phoned around and will have to order in shorter bolts but was wondering if anyone else has just tighted everything up with washers.
    this is hardly a blinglespeed [fixie vandessel] so i don't care if she ain't purty, just wondering if there are any problems with the washer workaround
    thanks in advance,

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave66
    due to some chain issues i've pulled the guard off my crankset to leave only the 44T chainring but now i have too much play in the bolts. I have phoned around and will have to order in shorter bolts but was wondering if anyone else has just tighted everything up with washers.
    this is hardly a blinglespeed [fixie vandessel] so i don't care if she ain't purty, just wondering if there are any problems with the washer workaround
    thanks in advance,
    The washers will work perfectly fine.

Steamroller

Use washers or buy the short bolts

I've used both, the short bolts are nicer, but washers work and are cheaper. On a junker SS grocery getter I built recently, I had to use about 4 washers per bolt, but it worked fine.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I presently use two washers per bolt. They don't fit perfectly between the crankarm and the chainring, but tightened down, they don't move at all. That being said, I ordered a set of chainring spacers from Harris Cyclery (they seemed to be the only place to carry the damn things AND not charge an arm and a leg for them) in hopes of 'cleaning up' the look of my crankset. But the washers have been holding up great in the interim.

mtbr member

Be Careful...

I have used washers with chainring bolts, and have F*cked up the spider pretty bad. The steel of the bolts is much harder than the aluminum of the spider. Just a word of warning, if you want multiple rings on in the future.

mtbr member

Washers

I just put together an IRO Mark V fixed gear bike and used a 89 XT crank and Sugino 46t ring that I had in the parts bin. The lbs has no short chainring bolts so I took the old Sugino middle 34t ring and cut away every thing that didn't look like a spacer with the dremel. I installed the 46t inboard with the "spacers" outboard. It could look better but it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

ride it like you stole it
    i got some bmx inserts, my lbs gave them to me since they were off of a junker bike.

If it is free then it's for me!!

www.justthebonnet.com

question for travis

hey travis, nice ride. Stupid question...what are those handlebars actually called?
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member

Bars

I believe they are Time Trial Bars but are commonly called Bullhorns. I can't believe how fast and smooth this bike feels.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Just a quick report after my first proper ride on my newly-built singlespeed. When pedalling hard or climbing, I noticed some creaking noises going on, and I think this might be coming from the washers, as they do not lie flush with the crankarm. Just a cautionary note when using washers.

I ordered chainring spacers, but the shop messed up the order. So it'll be a while before I get to the bottom of all this.

mtbr member
    I had chain (1/8") rub on the guard and fixed the problem instead of losing the guard. I put layers of ordinary Scotch Tape on the backside of the guard across the bolt holes. Then I cut holes for the bolts with an Exacto knife. Just the extra space of the tape (12 layers in mycase) was enough to stop chain rub.