Washed my Mary SS...- Mtbr.com
    SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Washed my Mary SS...

Washed my Mary SS the other day with some soapy water, bucket, and old washcloth. Used some liquid Lemon Dawn or similar, rinsed her with hoes water, just a gentle shower over the bike, only sprayed the tire/rim areas with any real pressure. Dried her off with a clean towel, shook the excess water off, tilted around to get it out of all the crevices, rode her around the block once and put her away in the shop. Washed her and my other bikes this way many times before and no problems!

Sunday evening took her out for a trail ride and my front brake cable feels kinda sticky, like the cable or something is dragging and not easy to modulate. The rear brake is still great. Running stock Avid BB5 brakes with Jagwire cable/housing and stock levers. What should I do to get it back to normal? Thought about a little WD-40, Tri-Flow or something down the brake cables from the lever area? The front brake is difficult to properly modulate now because of this, even after the ride it still feels like when I squeeze the brake lever it moves a little bit and then sticks, moves a little and sticks again, moves a little more and sticks again all through the brake lever's travel. There is no grittiness, just the sticking feeling.

On a somewhat unrelated note, my front brake has been squealing for a couple weeks and seems to have started chattering with light brake application.

I've adjusted my front caliper several times and have the same brakes on my other bike with minimal problems and many miles. However, the squeal/chatter won't go away completely. This bike uses the Roundagon 160mm rotors, my other bike uses G2 Cleansweep 160mm rotors and has been through several sets of pads without problem.

Thinking maybe my headset is a little too loose (not quite enough preload) and that allows the chattering on light brake application? I had the stem off when I swapped it out to a shorter one. I adjusted it by feel when I put the new stem on, no freeplayin the bearings and smooth rotation (not gritty from overly tight).

Suggestions???
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Washed my Mary SS the other day with some soapy water, bucket, and old washcloth. Used some liquid Lemon Dawn or similar, rinsed her with hoes water
    Sounds kind of hot.

But yeah just lube your cables.
    :wq

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Sounds kind of hot.

But yeah just lube your cables.
    Hahaha....did I type that??? Must be a Freudian slip... she's been a very good girl ever since I bought her!

So best way to lube them and using what lube? I have Tr-Flow in a squeeze bottle, some graphite door lock lube in a squeeze bottle, or WD-40 spray. If there's something better that you recommend I'll go buy that.

mtbr member
    I use triflow on cables. Not saying it's the best, but it works for me

Life is a 700c circle...
    drip some tri-flow down the inner brake wire and let it soak in, repeat process, work brake a few times. That should do the trick. If not get a new cable, grease it, and install.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the help, going out to lube it now. Future brake upgrade was thinking BB7s...maybe Juicys would be better for less hassle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Thanks for the help, going out to lube it now. Future brake upgrade was thinking BB7s...maybe Juicys would be better for less hassle?
    I doubt it. Mech brakes are supposed to be much less maintenance, easier to setup and keep from dragging over time. I've had two sets of Juicy's and they can be a real pain in the ass to keep adjusted. IMO, if you're going to go hydro, get Shimano XT. I just put them on my single speed to replace the Juicy 5's I started with. Much happier now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I replaced the BB5s with BB7s and when I had my Mary in at the LBS for an unrelated issue the mechanic noticed that the mounting bolts for the front brake were too long and were just starting to rub on the rotor. Might not be relevant, but worth checking....

I'm just messing with you
    Are you sure it's the cable? I'd try disconnecting it from the caliper real quick to be sure, then see if the sticking is in the cable or in the caliper (work it by hand). If it seems to be the cable, pull it out of the housing and give it a look. You might be able to see corrosion on the wire, if that's the problem.

On the chattering, if you mean it's something you feel, yeah it could be anything loose, so just give it all a good going over.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Double checked and it is the cable, not the caliper so I disassembled and lubed the cable last night. WIll put it back together and let you all know how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0