Warranty on bent chainring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Warranty on bent chainring?

I was on my fourth ride on a surly chainring (32t 104bcd) this afternoon and it tacoed while going up a short but fairly steep hill. The failure is centered just clockwise of the right crankarm and the nearest chainring bolt is broken off. I am guessing that would be to the bottom of my left power stroke. If it even matters, my drivetrain setup is an FSA afterburner crank, SRAM PC-1 chain, and Chris King 18t cog.

Is this the fault of the chainring and should/would Surly warranty it? I imagine the whole thing is easily attributable to a failure of the bolt, however they were well torqued as of installation two days (and rides) ago.

Also, since the chainring is steel, would I be wrong in thinking that, if it can be bent back straight (if that is even possible), it would still be rideable? I am only considering this option because I am on vacation in NW Arkansas and was hoping to get some more rides in this week.

I appreciate your advice. My apologies for any ignorance/stupidity on my part. I am new to mtbr and just converted to single speed last week (and I'm loving it).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    surlys are know to do that, sound like you lost a chain ring bolt and it folded over after. happen to my buddy two weeks ago. you can bent it back and it will work, but if its really messed up and you cannot bend it back looks like you have a wall ornament
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

Members who have read this thread: 0