Want a SS ... questions on how to go about it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Want a SS ... questions on how to go about it

My reasons for wanting:

My rider profile:

39yo, 5'8 200lbs, intermediate rider skill (lower skill level in groups that ride regularly), average fitness (carrying 15/20 lbs of fat), strong ham hock legs. I want to get into this because 1) fitness 2) one area I ride in isn't overly technical, no long hills (but plenty of short steep ones), .... and SS bikes' clean lines look sweet

I can get a new KHS Solo One SE for $400 (http://www.khsbicycles.com/02_solo-one-se_08.htm)

I also have a Rocky Mountain Hammer 26" 2005 that I use as a back-up, and to carry kid via rack seat every now and then. (http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...mmer&Type=bike)

So I would be down with just converting the Hammer if I can do it for <$400 and it would still look nice and clean like the KHS.

I am reticent about running a stiff front end, but am willing to give it a go. The Marz Bomber on the RM is quite heavy, and I'd prolly get a rigid fork, if I dont like it, save up for a better suss fork for it.

I would still want to be able to cart kid/s with this bike, but can switch over to pull behind so as to not have to worry bout the rack ... assuming riding off road and pulling a kid on pavement is about the same 'load'

Appreciate your thoughts.

PS My regular off-road ride is RM Altitude

Apr 2007
    You can convert the Hammer for less than $100. However, as a kid hauler, I'd leave it geared. Riding SS means lots of out of saddle mashing. And since your kid rides right behind the saddle, that would mean lots of butt to face time. He/she will eventually grow to hate bicycles and live a dark and dreary life.

Moving on, that KHS seems good for the price. My favorite is Redline Monocog. Geo is spot on for me. You could also try it in a 29er flavor.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'd convert the RM before dropping change on a SS specific bike. To convert the RM you would only have to pull the shifter pods, cables and derailers. Take the rear wheel off and remove the cassette. Take the chainrings off the crank. Keep the 32t chainring.

Now get on your other bike and cruise over the LBS. Sing your favorite song and scope the babes. At the bike store, buy a stamped cog- like an 18t, steel SS chainring bolts and a SRAM 8 speed chain (though you could just punch out some links on your existing chain, but then if you go back to geared...). Unless you are going to aim for magic gear, buy a tensioner.

Now, bolt on the 32t chainring. Then put on the spacers and ****, and line up your chain nice and straight. Snap powerlink together and bike. If you end up liking it ok, you can upgrade the drivetrain, find the best ratio for yourself, then buy something from Homebrewed Components. Maybe even get a rigid fork...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    convert the Hammer!

lot's of ways to do it, some tensioners are cleaner looking than others, but pretty much everything can be done for less than $400.

if you are desperate for the clean lines get an eccentric BB and a new crankset. if you're unsure about SS and getting back into riding then just get a dongly little tensioner to attach to your derailleur hanger.

performance bike has a knock off singulator for like $24. it's cheap, but if you like SS you can always spend more later.

Why replace a perfectly good bike when you can convert it!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    ^^both great tips. i agree that you should try it first before you drop up to $400 into this bike.

per umarth's post:
    buy a stamped cog- like an 18t $5-10
    steel SS chainring bolts $5
    and a SRAM 8 speed chain $25
    buy a tensioner. $25

the SS Conversion Kit from Performance Bike comes with pretty much everything you need: tensioner, cassette spacers, and 16T, 18T, and 20T cogs. this is a great kit because it lets you experiment with different gear ratios, and really among the 16/18/20 i'm sure you will find a ratio you're happy with.

total investment: $60 with tax.

(the Magic Ratio is that which gets you perfect tension without needing a tensioner, on a bike with vertical dropouts.)

mtbr member
    Thanks, dudes.

The path is clear, start simple. Let me check with LBS before I order from Performance.

Got a wee bit excited scoping out the pics of the sweet SS's posted here.

Now just have to figure out what tools i will need.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    this is a pretty comprehensive bike tool kit for a good price: http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Home-Mec.../dp/B0019J6ZLE

but this one will work also, and it's on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PK-6...5852429&sr=1-2

Out spokin'
    Convert!

Note to all: The phrase "magic gear" has been completely dropped from the lexicon in favor of "hocus pocus gear" because there's nothing magic about it. Chains stretch. If your hocus pocus gear works just right in the beginning, it will soon be all wrong.

Get a tensioner. Here's the second best one out there:
    Yess ETR/B

Expensive and worth it. You said you want that clean SS look, right? Next get yourself some 780mm handlebars and take up smoking. Oh, and get a taste for good, strong microbrew.

Welcome to SS. Party this weekend at your place.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    ^^^^ i wish i had a bike with vertical dropouts, so i could buy that tensioner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yess ETR/B

Expensive and worth it. You said you want that clean SS look, right? Next get yourself some 780mm handlebars and take up smoking. Oh, and get a taste for good, strong microbrew.

--sParty
    Thanks.

Got the taste for strong beer down (see belly stats)

Smoking, done enough damage to my lungs in my youngin years, thanks though

Strong Hoppy IPA's and freshly smoked ribs in my backyard Tiki Bar!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icon149

if you are desperate for the clean lines get an eccentric BB and a new crankset.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does this do for me beyond using my stock components?

Does it negate the need for any such tensioning contraption?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Convert!

Note to all: The phrase "magic gear" has been completely dropped from the lexicon in favor of "hocus pocus gear" because there's nothing magic about it. Chains stretch. If your hocus pocus gear works just right in the beginning, it will soon be all wrong.

Yess ETR/B

--sParty
    Which tensioner do feel is the first best one out there?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    probably track ends

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012
    Yeah it does, but it won't be particularly cheap to do.

Out spokin'

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by sandman012
    An EBB is a tensioning device as opposed to a tensioning contraption.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    An EBB is a tensioning device as opposed to a tensioning contraption.

--sParty
    semantics shamantics

Members who have read this thread: 0