Want a inexpensive SS road / commuter...?- Mtbr.com
    WI. Big Boy MTBer

Want a inexpensive SS road / commuter...?

First off, I hope I'm not posting this thread in the wrong forum..if so my apologies and Moderator: feel free to move it to the proper forum.

On to my questions. With gasoline prices just a few cents under the $4 a gallon mark, I have made the decision to rely more on getting around town by bicycle. I live in an area that is pretty flat so with that in mind plus price and simplicity, I am seriously considering a single speed urban assault cycle. I have my mountain bike, but really want to relegate that for off road only. Do I look at an entry level 29er rigid SS or a track style SS (700CM)
    I have come across a few different makes on the cheap side. I'd like to stay $300 or so.
    I have been eyeing the SE Draft http://www.sebikes.com/draft.php

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I know they make a 29er (stout) and are pretty big in the BMX genre.

I thought about the Dawes deadeye, but I wonder if I will be spinning out the gears too fast?

Anyone out there using a 29er SS / rigid for commuting / errands / round town??

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i just put big apples on my jabber. cant ride yet due to non-bike injury.

i did alot of my deadeye riding on the road. the nanos work well-ish. im gonna put 2.0 fat franks on the DD. if deadeye tho, get new wheels. or a monocog. 12 tooth cog will do wonders.

sorry. not really experience, but i think its a good idea. i tried skinny tires and found out tubes are expensive these days.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Smart money says to buy a 90's mountain bike, upgrade the worst bits on the bike and then slap the 2.35 Big Apples on 'em.

mtbr member
    The Draft is legit enough for a budget SS commuter. My GF commutes on a Lager which is the chromoly upgrade to the Draft.

But you want to consider the road conditions. You are limited to skinny road tires with the Draft. If you wish to use it in winter, or if you will use it on gravel and really tore up roads you might want something with more tire clearance like a 29er or touring or cyclocross bike.

You might want to consider the SE Big Ripper. It's got massive cool factor and can be found cheap online

In general, I love SE. They are owned by Fuji now but still have awesome customer service and still have a chill mentality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones
    I thought about the Dawes deadeye, but I wonder if I will be spinning out the gears too fast?
    I've been using my new ss 29er on my commute for a few weeks, and 32x18 gearing is pretty slow. My route is only 5 miles each way, and the bike is still new so every ride is a novelty, but it is a lot of spinning. It's not meant as my primary commuter, but if it was I'd be switching to a steeper gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    fattybikejones...you probably would have gotten more feedback if you did ask this question in the commuter forum.

can you by any chance ride an xl? the best deal going is at nashbar...they got the schwinn madison marked down to less than $250 but it's the only size left.

anyway, i too am a big fan of se bikes...rode them when i was a kid in bmx years ago & am hoping to see them offer a 29er quadrangle one of these days. they do make nice bikes for the price, i can't understand why se is so unappreciated except maybe since they whore themselves to all the online discounters they are regarded as a cheapo line. but i can confirm what jmmorath said about their customer service, i have called them many times with stupid problems & questions & they always help.

i rode & loved a stout last summer & thru the fall but learned the hard way that ss mtbs are not great commuters without reworking the gearing. so i got myself a 700c se pk ripper for commuting/road use...lighter weight, road gearing & skinnier tires are so nice for riding long distances on pavement & fixed is a real hoot. plus, it is a tough bike, i have tossed on cx tires & taken it places i shouldn't.

instead of the draft, look for a draft light, previous years leftovers are available online for around $300 or less & nashbar even has that lager jmmorath mentioned, which is way better, for about $350.

or...i hate to even talk about bikesdirect but they do have a bunch of ss/fg road bikes with different geometries in the $300-400 range, a few can take bigger tires.

good luck & have fun...

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i got a "mercier" kilo wt id let go for 250. its set up with a flat bar. shipping included. if it were local, id only be lookin for 200. extra tubes included. im pretty desperate to get rid of it.

still say a monocog with a 12t in back'd be just what ur lookin for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got an SE Stout that I use for everything from commuting to work and running errands around town, to riding trails and singletrack. Like someone else said, the gearing on an SS mountain bike isn't exactly "commuter friendly," but after swapping out the chainring from a 32 to a 36, I'm back to the honeymoon stage of loving my bike.

They're inexpensive, practically bomb proof, and were designed so that you can upgrade/swap parts really easily. Honestly, I tried out quite a few bikes that cost a lot more, and quite a few that cost a lot less, but the Stout was the bike that had everything I wanted. I definitely urge you to try one out!

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Thanks guys for all the response! I am kinda leaning toward a SS road / urban style.
    This is completely new territory for me, but I am pretty much sold on the idea of getting a SS just for the simplicity and lower maintenance expenditure. (I am a mechanic)

I saw the Schwinn Madison..but I would need a M/L or like a 52cm. The XL could be problematic should an unintended fast dismount occur. Still a tad up in the air on a SS MTB like the SE Stout. I mean, if I went that way, I could veer off the beaten path and get lost on some local S/T every now and then.
    I should have been more clear earlier. I would (at first) not be using the bike for commuting as much as round town errands and fun rides. I would however like the option to use the bike as a commuter once I secure more gainful employment a little closer to home.
    I wish there was a shop in or at least near to my town that I could go and check out some different options, but it looks like the inet is gonna be my guide in this purchase.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    def a stout or monocog, etc.. put some fat franks and a 12 tooth on there. or twin rails. or big apples.

oh i wish for a 29" maxxis holy roller.

29er SS is definitely different than 26er. maybe not with front sus, idk. i gave up on squish for a while. dont plan on goin back for a while.

but rigid 29er SS rocks.

switch out to a 16t with a quick connect and tready tires and have a blast on the trail.

get a 'cog, and youll get close to 80% out a re-sale, should you find you dont like 29er rigid SS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Smart money says to buy a 90's mountain bike, upgrade the worst bits on the bike and then slap the 2.35 Big Apples on 'em.
    +1 Spray paint can be you friend. An older rigid hybrid works great too. More roadish, but can still take decent sized tires. Craigslist is full of deals if you know what you are looking for.

Back at it
    I have a Windsor "The Hour" for sale if you're intersted.
    Ellsworth Evolve SST.2

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Draft in a store the other day. JUNK. if you just want something to pedal around and not worry about it getting stolen, fine. but it's barely a step up from a department store bike. steel hubs, cheap steel frame, lousy brakes. cheap, but you get what you pay for.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    I was looking at the Draft in a store the other day. JUNK. if you just want something to pedal around and not worry about it getting stolen, fine. but it's barely a step up from a department store bike. steel hubs, cheap steel frame, lousy brakes. cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    The hi-ten frame would be fine.. but hmmm Thanks for the heads up. It just looked the part I guess.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch and Bebe
    +1 Spray paint can be you friend. An older rigid hybrid works great too. More roadish, but can still take decent sized tires. Craigslist is full of deals if you know what you are looking for.
    Thought about that too. Wrenching wouldn't be an issue for me. I am open to most all options. Even this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...line.htm#specs

Just don't know alot about these frames. I know almost assuredly, I am wanting a steel / cromo frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0